ej25 in a L series

eden

bush bash'n ranga
does anyone know,seen or heard of a ej25 in L series. i can get a cheap L series and i'm thinking of doing a project. just depends on if it can be done and how much.

quad cam ej25 will fit. I have done one myself to a previous car, started life as the stock ea82, then went for ej22 and followed it with an ej25. You'll have about 20mm clearance between the chassis rails and rocker covers, but thats enough.

I used an adaptor plate to the L series dual range box and it worked alright. however i destroyed 2nd on my first outing (box had a good thrashing prior to that) put another box in and it went good for ages.

things to consider for conversion;

engine get a med KM engine for about 1500 i reckon

wiring - ensure you get the wiring loom and ecu
best to get someone who knows what they're doing to strip the loom to the bare minimum to run the engine/ splice the necessary bits into the L series loom

Custom radiator - the stock L series radiator wont cope, i spent about $500 getting mine modded to a nice dual core, 2 decent thermos and you should be right

L series crossmember mods, some just elongate the engine mount holes and bash the back of it with a sledgie, I made new plates for the engine mounts, changed the angle to suit, raised it about 15mm.

Exhaust, will need doing to match up to ej25 headers, altough i ditched the ej25 set up and used my previous ej22 headers... much easier

Fuel supply, will need to install an external walbro pump, might as well fit a surge tank in the process.

all up as an estimation, to do the majority of it yourself, i'd set aside about $3000.

It is a worthy conversion if your attached to an L series, but in my opinion, your better off getting an early model outback, same engine, better car feels much tighter (offroad) and eveything is designed for it.

here's a pic of the ej25 in the l series... you can see my surge tank and fuel pump set up there too, can be done under car as well

DSCF1152.jpg

Picture008email.jpg

You might want to avoid EJ25 with build dates between 1998 - 2002. These had issues with the head gaskets, unless you want to strip the heads off and replace them before you drop it in. By the looks of it, you won't be able to do them with the engine in the car - seems pretty tight.

tight as a tiger.... worth putting in decent spark plugs before you drop the engine in too coz its just about impossible once its in.

Guy in the WRX Club put an STI engine in his Brumby- so as seen above, it is do-able.

hey Vidler thats exactly what i wanted to do. thanks for the info and pics. unfortunatly the car was sold before i got back to him then i kinda forgot about this thred :redface: but i'm still keen to do it some time and now that i've seen it done i'll keep looking. thanks for the replys:)

yeah had that car for a few years. i made the roof cage and bull bar myself... they're still floating around on other cars:)

Eden

Check out the Subaclub Qld - Discussion Forum
I was having a quick look the other day and noticed quite a few bits and pieces for the conversion your looking at - including a whole kit from memory...

Back