• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Fly

Forum Member
Hello,

I was browsing my electronics/DIY store yesterday and stumlbled on cellphone boosters, with prices going from 35 all the way to 300$. Has anyone tried such system? What is your experience?

Of course they won't do much when you're 500km in the outback, but if they do allow to make calls and/or at least send texts even 50km further than without it... it's a win IMHO.

Lots of locations here are in between two coverage zones.

Cheers

Gidday Fly

I reckon you would be better off with a FindMeSpot, which works the opposite way. You plug your mobile phone into it, and it acts as a simple interface to the satellite comms system. Some models allow text messages from your phone to be sent via the sat link, etc.

AND they will work 500 kms from anywhere ... :poke:

Also I've got one of the monile boosters and they're not that flash. Probably adds 20km if I'm lucky and mine is 6.5dbi I think. They work even worse if you have an iPhone as they have to use passive induction to boost the signal rather than a plug in patch lead that you can use with some other phones. The passive induction gives approx 60% of the signal increase of a plug in patch lead.

Gidday Hunter

Have you ever used one? I'm looking at the pricey one as there is no annual subscription fee

I do not think that the Tramigo supports EPIRB functions, it is purely a vehicle tracking and control system. Exceptionally useful if these are the sorts of things you need. However, I suspect that most of us here are more in need of the basic EPIRB and satellite messaging functions.

The monitored units support EPIRB and other messaging functions. That is what the annual fee is charged for.

Considering the cost of renting a satphone, I reckon that the FindMeSpot services are both more economical, and more flexible from the emergency situation point of view.

Very interesting article Greg. Thanks.

There is generally some good reason for these sorts of restrictions.

Yes, I'm aware of the SPOT-type systems and I do plan on getting one (though I'll get a pay-per-use due to budget considerations) to carry on hikes, especially to the Groulx montain range, which is really in the middle of nowhere (https://goo.gl/maps/z6sFn) however I see these much more as emergency devices.

I'm thinking -or at least hoping, for something that I could use on a more regular fashion when working between cities (I mainly have SAR calls in mind, so I can get better cellphone reception when reaching these places as this is a situation where I want to make sure I can get contacted easily), both for calls and 3G when I need to download additionnal topo maps. This, however, is not a requirement of the SAR association... just something I'd personally rather have. Yes, I'm really a "just-in-case" kind of guy^^

So... while I wholeheartedly agree that a SPOT should be on my buying list, I'm not sure it is the solution to this need. I, however, will take the time to read these links you posted, as they seem to make the point that "the thing" I had in mind might not really be worth it...

They are not illegal, the newspaper article is referring to personal repeaters/boosters. The aerials people use are passive and effectively just boost the length of the phone antenna. The GPS devices go straight through a satellite and not mobile phone networks.

Last edited:
I got one of these the other day https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/CD2195 with the patch leads for my phone and my 4G telstra mobile internet. The guy told me it is only a 3G aerial, which seems at odds with what the blurb says but it doesn't matter as at the moment 4G is very limited and it switches to 3G.
Can't offer any other info as i have not put it to use.

That's the exact one I got. Was it the bloke who worked at telco or Telstra? . All 4G phones at the moment can still work with 3G anyway. The passive patch leads for iPhones are average though. I just switched to s galaxy s3. Massive difference after buying an actual plug in lead.

I was walking past a Phonezone store and saw this aerial on a board and so went and asked how much. They wanted $170 and i got them down to $119. The patch leads i got from telcoantennas as i had already seen them in my searches and had them marked. Also i couldn't find ANY shop that sold them.
There are other brands of this CD2195 like Force, i think, but i understand the RFI one is the better one.
I don't use a smartphone but i will get one at sometime and it won't be an iphone. Although i think Apple stuff is good i also think they 'lock' you into using only Apple stuff. My son just had problems with his iphone battery for example, but apparently you can't just take the battery out and replace it. You have to take it to someone to do something or rather.
Pain in the bum if you ask me.
I will get a Galaxy windows 8 phone once they are sorted.
So i gather you are happy with the way the aerial works??
I am going to figure a way of attaching it to a tent pole or something so i can use it while i am camping.

I was walking past a Phonezone store and saw this aerial on a board and so went and asked how much. They wanted $170 and i got them down to $119.

Telco have them on sale at the moment for $109, although I picked one up a while ago for $105 on ebay.

I am going to figure a way of attaching it to a tent pole or something so i can use it while i am camping.

A simple right angle bracket and a hose clamp will do the job nicely. You need a 13mm mounting hole.

I think the postage from telco was $14 so i thought it was not a bad price plus i got it from a shop front for easy return in case of problems.
I don't trust ebay stuff.
I had this idea re mounting. A flat thickish piece of aluminium maybe 30mm wide and 150,200mm long. Drill a hole at the end and one out about 100mm from the end, both big enought to fit a tent pole end through them. Near the other end a hole big enought to place the aerial fitting through and lock with the nut.
The first hole would fit on the tent pole of my awning and as i always have 2 spare tent poles i could use one for support in the second hole. Reckon that would work.
That way i could be sitting under my awning, having a tinny, and play with the computer:ebiggrin:. I think the cable length is about 5mtrs so thats ample.

I finally got around to taking a pic of how I mounted my CD2195. This is not permanent - I only attach it when I'm in remote areas. Quick and easy. Cable just runs through the rear door.

gsm_ant_zps42a7a776.jpg

Back