Rally’s Ranger

That's a nice slide on. Now you're talking. :ebiggrin:

Oh. the other thing against tents up here, is the snappers and slitherers. Scrub python almost took a 22 month old kid here the other day. Not that one would get into a zipped up tent but...

edit: (looking at that slide-on made me think: "ooh that's a bit low to the ground." But they're probably not up here...)

edit 2: Thing I've got against most slide-ons is they look pretty meh on the vehicle.

I know! world first genuine off-road 5th wheeler!

Lots of great accessories for the Ranger. Great way of connecting the microphone of the Uhf and so much tidier, by clicking into the dash itself. Also mounted the driving light switch. Note how both are back lit. Yet to mount the driving lights or cb aerial.

What's the 00s down the bottom?

is it more powerfull USB like 2.1 A or more or just those cheap ones for 1A that dont charge anything.
i put some 3 USB adapter 1 fast charging and 2 x 2.4A . otherwise it cant keep up.

Good question. I don’t know. I’ve been reading the owners manual and there is so much to learn about, including what features the car has and how to use them. What makes this so much harder are all the unnecessary warnings that are repeated multiple times that you tend to ignore all of them. What they should do is have an instruction manual with footnotes to the warnings which are located at the back. That way people who aren’t aware that if you open the door and jump out of the car at 100kmh you might be killed or injured know where all the warnings are. It worries me that people who are so dumb and inept are allowed to drive a motor vehicle.

So I will battle on through the myriad of insulting warnings and hopefully find out what the specs of the USB outlets are.

Looking forward to seeing how the build goes.
An EGR delete and PCV catch can are definitely good mods for any diesel, especially on the newer direct injected models.
On my Terrano, oil changes every 5000 km are required - might be slight overkill on a newer cleaner running diesel? In having said that, I change the oil, start it up and it's already black :-o

Looking forward to seeing where this goes. For a long distance tourer I hate to say that the ranger does make more sense.

I really hope that the Forester goes to a good home is all.

69714CBB5CFF_zpsl0nybo0m.jpeg.html]
F3CD42E5-380F-4A73-90FF-69714CBB5CFF_zpsl0nybo0m.jpeg
[/URL]

UHF and Hema GPS now mounted.

Took it for a drive up the Blue Mountains today. Averaged 9.1 litres per 100kms, which is very pleasing. Only did about a km on a dirt road, plus a bit of rough sealed road. On dirt, you get the rear end hopping sideways you expect from an empty ute with a solid rear axle you never get in a Subaru. The ride is firm but still comfortable enough. I think once loaded up things will get much better.

That's so true of trucks. The last ute I had couldn't get up any decent gravel hills without some ballast. The other issue is the drum brakes on the rear. ABS helps but drums have a number of problems. they lock up easily, they don't work well after being in water and they get dirt and dust inside them which causes the linings to wear more quickly.

Interesting point concerning drum/disk brakes on the rear. The Ford Everst, Toyota Fortuner and the Pajero Sport which are derived from the Ranger, Hilux and Triton all have disk rear ends and more weight on the rear whereas the Utes all have drums.
It is not uncommon to see the rear taillight of these utes overtake the headlights on wet winding roads!

Only Kevin Bartlett would dislike drum brakes more than me! The last car I owned with them was my old GT Falcon, and I only had drums on that car for about a year before I put discs on it. Difficult to comprehend any car today being sold with drums.

You have to keep in mind that your Ranger is not a car, it's a truck. Its primary purpose is carrying stuff in the tray from one work site to another. I don't know if you're old enough to remember, but before they invented crew cabs, nobody bothered to take utes of any description off road except on a farm (unless you count series 1 and 2 Landies as utes). To carry out its primary purpose, drum brakes work fine.

They are old technology best suited being used as a handbrake. They require adjustment, as the self adjusters aren’t good enough. They are a pain to change linings, they are more prone to overheating carrying that load, they have nothing going for them as a service brake. VW use rear discs in the Amarok and Ford do in the Raptor. And Mercedes in the Sprinter. Drums are well past their use by dates

Back