Unread 21st July 2014, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road
Default Subaru introduce capped price servicing

Gidday Folks

SWMBO just got a flyer in the mail from Subaru Australia that Subaru has introduced capped price servicing for all Subarus from MY06 onwards. I looked at the web site, and found the "gotcha". The servicing has to be carried out on either time or kilometres, whichever occurs first ...

Considering that Roo2 had done 10,000 kms in 24 months since its previous service, and the oil was all but new to the look, touch and smell, servicing it every six months would appear to be serious overkill ...
AND cost more than repairing the thing should it break because of 'neglect' ...

Seems to me like buying new tyres, then being told by the seller that they should be replaced every 2 years or 20,000 kms, whether they are worn or not ...
Unread 22nd July 2014, 08:43 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2014
Model: XV
Transmission: CVT
oscaroo is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I had a look at that - well, while my car is in warranty i'll follow their overkill service routine, but at the local mechanic who charges less.
My saab has an epic service interval, 2 years or 20000km. Boy am I gonna miss that!
Unread 22nd July 2014, 09:25 AM
Forum Member

guzzla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
Considering that Roo2 had done 10,000 kms in 24 months since its previous service,
You need to get out and start enjoying that Forester of yours Ratbag.
It'll never wear out at that rate.

My Forester had its 6th birthday in June and only did 18,500km this last year. Nothing like the 57,000km it did in its 2nd year. I always have got the km service interval up long before the time until this last 6 months - still have 3000km to go. I have been wondering how good it is to leave the oil in there longer than the specified time.

My Golf has 15,000km or 12 month service intervals and VW specify a special long life oil. It's the same 5w-30 synthetic as the Forester's but must be labeled with a 504-507 long life rating. Not that it's in the Golf for very long. It had its 1st birthday 2 days after the Forester (yeah - 2 registrations at the same time of year wasn't very smart financial planning) and did 40,500km. It goes in for its 3rd service on Thursday. VW have given it fixed price services until 90,000km too and the first 2 cost $290 each although I'm paying a bit less now taking it (and the Forester) to a trustworthy independent.
Unread 23rd July 2014, 07:22 PM
Forum Member

btw Where can I find out how much Subaru are charging for their fixed price servicing? VW publish the 6 service costs (every 15,000km till 90,000km or 6 years) for each of their models, down to which engine and gearbox in each model range on their web site but I can't find anything on the Subaru web site.

Last edited by Ratbag; 24th July 2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Altered copied post so that it is on topic - RB
Unread 24th July 2014, 12:29 AM
Administrator

I have moved all discussion about oils to a new thread in "Car Care" sub-forum, here:

http://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=5641

It has taken this current thread completely OT ... .
Unread 24th July 2014, 01:00 AM
Forum Member

Year: sf
Model: sf
Transmission: m
idw is on a distinguished road

yea our new suzuki is kinda like that, but the capped price isn't too bad for the suzuki we'll loose out on some of the smaller services but break even on the major servicing. but after the warranty is out it's only getting a service when it need one.
Unread 24th July 2014, 01:22 AM

subyroo is on a distinguished road

Honda's Fixed Price Servicing for my 2013 CR-V VTi 4WD is either $246.00 or $283.00 depending on which Service is required over the 5 years.

I wonder why Subaru are so reluctant to put their prices on the website?
Unread 24th July 2014, 01:28 AM
Administrator

^ Yeah, I couldn't find it either, without logging on. Which I couldn't be bothered doing. Why be so secretive?

It might be worth it for SWMBO's SH, which will need its 125,000 kms service done in about 40,000 Kms. Maybe closer to the time .... .
Unread 24th July 2014, 10:57 AM
Forum Member

VW set a standard oil/filter service for a petrol Mk7 Golf at $292 but only 15k, 30k & 75k services are at that price because of extra requirements like coolant, air filter etc. So the 45k service is$347, the 60k service is $499 and the 90k service is $390. Every 2 years they charge $47 for the pollen filter and $127 for new brake fluid. I imagine Subaru will have something similar where the services with gearbox/diff oils, coolants & brake fluids will be more.

When I had the first service at Wippells VW they only charged $290, so they didn't even stick to the capped price. My independent has charged considerably less, mainly labour at $108.90 instead of $135.30 but also don't hit me with the fuel additive / windscreen washer additive / wheel balancing rot that dealers do. Those prices include GST.
Unread 25th July 2014, 01:41 AM
Administrator

^ etc

Ross charges a "fixed price" for servicing too.

It usually costs around $180 for the Foresters, and this includes the (highly expensive) Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 FS plus filters and any minor parts that might be needed (wiper blades, bulbs and the like). It was a bit cheaper for the Impreza (usually $150-160 - mainly the cost of the oil, I guess), but the Camry was also around the $180 mark.

No vehicle ever leaves his workshop without all the other stuff being checked. I have often noticed that there will be notations on the invoice for some obscure (minor) thing being rectified or replaced. The mechanics obviously give all cars a careful, thorough examination, even when they only come in for a straightforward intermediate service.

Major services are always itemised. Anything out of the ordinary that arises causes him to ring up with the bad news, a rough pricing and find out what one wants done about it, and when.

I have referred a few people to him over the years, and they always rave about the level of service they get from him, so he obviously treats everyone the same. One of our female friends who knows lots about cars said "He didn't treat me like some kind of ignorant female bimbo. He treated me as a human being." Interesting observation, that. I would not have thought otherwise of Ross.

Just good people to deal with.

Tags
capped price service