New Cooper ATR shoes for the Forester

spinners

Well, during the absence of the Forum, I had to get some new shoes for the Forry.

The choice of ATR tyre is really limited, and I realise the implications of going to a larger size tyre, but hey, I'll take my chances.

I'm planning to do the Birdsville track soon and wanted something with a bit of bite.

dscn0585sd4.jpg

I had to do a little cosmetic surgery to the real wheel arch, but this was limited to the plastic.

There is a little rubbing on the front, but again, a little plastic surgery will sort that out.

Front:
dscn0586editedkv4.jpg

dscn0590dk8.jpg

Rear:
dscn0588editedyp7.jpg

dscn0589dp9.jpg

I've done about 5k in them thus far and I'm very happy.

As I have my GPS permanently on and connected when I drive around, I tend to use the GPS speedo. The difference at 60 km/h equals about 63 - 64 km/h true speed.

I'm in the process of doing some practical tests so that I can derive some test data. Essentially, determining tread width, footprint length, lowest point clearance, approach and departure angles at varying PSI's (34, 25 & 16).

Once I've got that done I'll post the results up.

Last edited:
I've got them on the pajero and they've performed well. They've got 40,000km on them and are about 1/2 worn. There's a couple of cuts and tears in a few tread blocks but nothing major.

Nice tyre shine :D

Are you getting a rear bar and wheel carrier, or just going to carry the two spares on the roof?

At the price they are charging for it, I don't think I can justify it, yet ;)

I am more than likely getting a tow bar fitted. I can get a heyman reece 50mm supplied and installed for $380 and I am looking at going 50/50 in a pod trailer https://www.podtrailer.com/. I have not been a real fan of the camper trailer setup, but that is me.

Hi Spinners

I am after some 16in steel wheels - need one spare for my 215 65 16 Grabber AT2, and thinking about changing the box trailer over.

Is it worthwhile doing a joint deal with Brendon?

Brian

Would have been, except I picked up another 2 rims this afternoon.

This takes my total number to 10 rims.

4 for the foz plus 2 spare and 2 for the trailer and 2 spare.

OK then - where have you been getting all your rims?

I wouldn't mind changing my crappy steel spare for an alloy either.

Cheers

Brian

I swapped my alloys for the 4 steel ones on my wifes Foz. I got one from Eden, that replaced the one for my spare. I got one from a wrecker for nicks as he was gonna through it out :D I got another 2 from Hondawreck in Melbourne for $50 including freight to Sydney :D And another 2 today from a guy at work who had them as spares and decided to get rid of them as he sold his wifes Foz.

I was thinking that you might want Brendon's half worn Coopers without the rims - I only want to match 215 65 16 size so don't want the tyres.

Thanks. They dont look that shinny anymore though.

You know, I'm not sure if they will without a lift.

Your more than welcome to come around one day and try out my spare to see if it fits.

Where do you work? We may be able to tee up during the day.

PM me if your interested.

I've just had a look at my car and based on my swiftly cobbled together knowledge of tyres, it appears that the "70" in 215/70/16 refers to the diameter of the tyre (from the edge where the tread starts).... I'm learning slowly... Anyway, looking at my set up, an extra inch on either side of the tyre will mean the tyre scrubs heavily on the metal deeally that i'll call the "spring seat" (i'm not sure of the actual name).

Also, at the current height of the car the larger tyres would scrub heavily (more than a raised car) on the plastic on either side of the wheel well (illustrated in Spinners' diagrams).

Cheers!

-H

"215" is the width; "70" is the "sidewall aspect %" as related to the width i.e. the height of the sidewall in his case being 215*70%= 150.5 mm

"spring seat" or "spring perch" is OK.

Ahh, thats how it works then... I've wondered (clearly not to hard though).... :D

Well, based on that system my sidewall aspect is 129mm for the 215/60/16, 21.5mm smaller than the 70's. I think the extra 21.5mm will still rub on the "spring perch" and scrub the plastic in the wheel well.

-H

Back