Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
The NSW Government is now installing red light/speed cameras in one.

The first has already gone in at Haberfield. The new signage refers only to “Safety Camera Ahead” and there is only one sign on approach. According to Troy, there is another active now on Pennant Hills Rd

It is planned to convert all existing red light cameras and some school zones.

The government intends to install 200 over the next four years. The list has the first 50 locations.

More information is available on the RTA website at: https://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/safetycameras/

and at: https://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/safetycameras/safety_camera_faqs.html

So don’t speed up to go through the traffic lights. If you avoid the red light camera you will still be done for speeding.

Spread the word.”

CUMBERLAND HWY ST JOHNS RD CANLEY HEIGHTS
GREAT WESTERN HWY RESERVOIR RD BLACKTOWN
SHOWGROUND RD VICTORIA AV CASTLE HILL
PENNANT HILLS RD BEECROFT RD PENNANT HILLS
BOTANY RD MCEVOY ST ALEXANDRIA
MOORE-OXLEY BYPASS BROUGHTON ST CAMPBELLTOWN
CLEVELAND ST SOUTH DOWLING ST REDFERN
BOTANY RD BOURKE RD ALEXANDRIA
CHURCH ST VICTORIA RD PARRAMATTA
CUMBERLAND HWY CABRAMATTA RD WEST CABRAMATTA WEST
NEW NARELLAN RD KELLICAR RD CAMPBELLTOWN
SILVERWATER RD M4 W/B ON RAMP SILVERWATER
SILVERWATER RD M4 E/B ON RAMP SILVERWATER
CANTERBURY RD KING GEORGES RD LAKEMBA
GEORGE ST LIVERPOOL ST SYDNEY
GREAT WESTERN HWY HAWKESBURY RD MAYS HILL
SOUTH DOWLING ST FITZROY ST SURRY HILLS
GREAT WESTERN HWY CHARLES HACKETT DR ST MARYS
WALDRON RD HECTOR ST CHESTER HILL
THE KINGSWAY PORT HACKING RD MIRANDA
HUME HWY WOODVILLE RD LANSDOWNE
PARRAMATTA RD BURWOOD RD BURWOOD
PRINCES HWY BAY ST ROCKDALE
BROADWAY CITY RD ULTIMO
OXFORD ST LIVERPOOL ST SYDNEY
PITT ST EDDY AV SYDNEY
CRAIGEND ST MCLACHLAN AV RUSHCUTTERS BAY
ANZAC PDE FLINDERS ST MOORE PARK
ROBERTS RD NORFOLK RD GREENACRE
PARRAMATTA RD WOODVILLE RD GRANVILLE
WINDSOR RD SEVEN HILLS RD BAULKHAM HILLS
COPELAND ST ELIZABETH DR LIVERPOOL
HENRY LAWSON DR MILPERRA RD MILPERRA
OXFORD ST MOORE PARK RD PADDINGTON
VICTORIA RD WELLINGTON ST ROZELLE
OLYMPIC DR VAUGHAN ST LIDCOMBE
CENTENARY DR ARTHUR ST HOMEBUSH WEST
HUME HWY MEREDITH ST BANKSTOWN
PARRAMATTA RD FLOOD ST LEICHHARDT
NEW CANTERBURY RD LIVINGSTONE RD PETERSHAM
GARDENERS RD O'RIORDAN ST MASCOT
BUNGARRIBEE RD RESERVOIR RD BLACKTOWN
THE KINGSWAY GANNONS RD CARINGBAH
VICTORIA RD EVANS ST ROZELLE
GREAT WESTERN HWY STATION ST WENTWORTHVILLE
PENNANT HILLS RD COPELAND RD WEST PENNANT HILLS
HAMILTON RD THE BOULEVARDE FAIRFIELD HEIGHTS
CANTERBURY RD BEXLEY RD CAMPSIE
KING GEORGES RD MOOREFIELDS RD ROSELANDS
NEWTON RD FLUSHCOMBE RD BLACKTOWN

As has Canberra. NSW is trying to get out of debt by next year. Looks like they found one way of doing it. But, no matter how many flash for cash machines they install, you can bet London to a brick they'll waste it just like they do with all the other money we give them. Says he still waiting for the north west rail link...

that's ok I'm safe
1. I don't drive in Sydney very often maybe once a yr
2. I drive about 5 clicks under the limit anyway so the Gov won't flash @ me:lol:

Interestingly, although I tgravel around Sydney for my job, I only recognised 2 places that I I go to have these cameras. I envy the fact you don't drive in Sydney much too!

that's ok I'm safe
1. I don't drive in Sydney very often maybe once a yr
2. I drive about 5 clicks under the limit anyway so the Gov won't flash @ me:lol:
I try and stay under the limit in Melb - difficult when it changes so damn often and school zone times can be '24/7' in some locations.
As to 'gunning it' to make the lights, most of us probably have at some time, and we shouldn't. On balance, I probably take less issue with speed cameras at traffic lights than I do on straight sections of divided highway.
Having said that, the concept of booking on the basis of an instantaneous 'speed' is just revenue raising. IMHO to be regarded as 'doing' a given speed it should be averaged over at least 20 seconds.

I'm surprised anyone in Vic has a licence left. Yet, despite all their draconian laws, they have had no impact on the death toll. I used to love going to Victoria- there are so many wonderful things to see, and the roads are so much better than NSW roads. Now I give it a second and third thought before going there- it is just crazy when you only have to wander over any speed limit by 3km/h and you're nicked. Look at NT- they introduced an open road speed limit and the following year the road toll doubled.

Have only ever lost point twice in almost 30 years, once a sneaky cam just past a 60km sign in the rural area outside the 'metropolis' of Newstead (west of Castlemaine) - was p*ssed about that, and the second time on the Geelong Road under a fixed camera in the middle of the night. That one was probably a 'fair cop', as to speed, but still no danger due to light traffic on mult- lane 'Highway 1'.
The only way to survive is to keep well under the limit.
As to the N.T., from a distance the major concern there seems to be grog not speed - but I think the days of 'no limit' highways have probably gone forever, like the 'Cannon Ball Run'.:biggrin:

I think the problem of staying well under the limit is that on long trips, you spend too much time behind the wheel. Take NT for example. I used to cruise up to 180 km/h. So with the limit now 130, and i was doing 180, that means 50km less every hour. So that means you may have to be at the wheel for maybe an extra 2 hours or more. In "winter", that could mean you have to spend more time at dawn, dusk or even night driving, which is far more dangerous due to roos, cattle, etc. The distances in NT are huge, the roads excellent. Fatigue- such a killer in NSW, QLD, WA and SA has now become more of a factor in NT.

I think the problem of staying well under the limit is that on long trips, you spend too much time behind the wheel. Take NT for example. I used to cruise up to 180 km/h. So with the limit now 130, and i was doing 180, that means 50km less every hour. So that means you may have to be at the wheel for maybe an extra 2 hours or more. In "winter", that could mean you have to spend more time at dawn, dusk or even night driving, which is far more dangerous due to roos, cattle, etc. The distances in NT are huge, the roads excellent. Fatigue- such a killer in NSW, QLD, WA and SA has now become more of a factor in NT.

I agree with this exactly.
I know i have a tendency to drift to sleep if bored, so will always limit how far I travel for any day and frequent stops.
Even after a stop, its possible to already become a bit sleepy within 1/2 hour, esp in afternoon times.
Put the pedal down and you do become more focused.

I would prefer passing attentive drivers doing over the limit than drifting to sleep drivers doing 80kmh any day!

The Sydney Curse

I'll also forward a vote for the red light cameras.

I've noticed getting worse over the last 18 months the Sydney curse of drivers booting it through an intersection on a stale orange or a red - trusting that few second delay before the cross traffic receives and moves on a green. Equally inconsiderate for other road users are the occasional two or three cars that follow through after a turn arrow has gone red, relying on no break in the traffic to avoid being ploughed into.

When I start getting annoyed by attitude & road behaviour of the 10% of morons/heroes/a#*@holes on Sydney's roads, I try to focus on the majority who are generally considerate & do the right thing. We're the ones who need the assistance of red light cameras. Sermon ends.

Agreed. WAY too many red light runners. Come down on them

Agree with that. There's an intersection I pass through that over the past year has gotten progressively worse in the mornings. The traffic continues to stream through for 5 to 10 secods after the other direction has the green. No camera of course so the only way they'll get pinged is if a cop happens to be there at the time and even then they'll only be able to stop 1 of the 10+ cars.

I drive all over town, and the worst road I reckon would be that coming on to Ryde Rd from the Commenara Parkway at West Pymble, and leaving Ryde Rd at Nth Ryde on Epping,Talavera and Waterloo Roads. I know the red light works because I get them every time- difference being I guess I stop at them! But I have never seen the police police them.

Back