• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Why trigger driving lights from High beams?

It's always been my understanding that driving lights had to switched with the high beams. I've had Auto Electricians refuse to do it any other way - but after what I saw today i now have my doubts.... spotted a Victoria Police station car driving towards me in full daylight with driving lights on - obviously switched independently of the high beams because the head lights were not on...

onebob

Very interesting mr onebob! i shall look in to that, given that my car is currently Vic registered, i'm actually living in Tassie but plan to move to either sydney or Qld later this year, i'm not quite sure which lot of rules i'll follow... but Vic will be my starting point.

Here are the rules from the Northern Territory - I expect that all states are the same.

Motor Vehicle Registry Information Bulletin
V14 - Additional Lighting (Driving Lights, Fog Lights)
Effective Date: 17 October 2008

Introduction
Additional lighting (such as driving lights, fog lights and search lights) may be fitted to motor vehicles in the NT providing the lights meet the requirements of this bulletin and do not compromise the vehicle’s compliance with the applicable vehicle standards.
All lighting on motor vehicles must comply with the requirements of the Australian Vehicle Standards Rules and Australian Design Rules.
Driving Lights (High Beam Lights)
All four wheeled motor vehicles must be fitted with at least two high beam headlights for the purpose of illuminating the road over a long distance ahead of the vehicle.
• Up to four additional driving lights may be fitted to the front of a vehicle - (a total of six high beam/driving lights are permitted).
• The lights must not be placed wider than the dipped or low beam headlamps and must be fitted symmetrically - (same position on both sides of the vehicle).
• The light emitted shall not cause discomfort by reflecting off any of the vehicle’s surfaces into the driver’s eyes.
• All high beam driving lights must turn off when the vehicle’s headlights are switched to low beam.
Fog Lights
Fog lights are intended to improve the illumination of the road in times of reduced visibility - which may be caused by heavy rain, smoke, dust storm or fog. These lights produce a broad flat beam. The top of the beam must not be higher than the centre of the fog light, when measured 8 metres in front of the vehicle.
Four wheeled motor vehicles may be fitted with two fog lights which must be mounted:
• symmetrically;
• no higher than the top of the low beam headlights;
• not more than 400mm from the sides (extreme outer edge) of the vehicle;
• at least 600mm apart; and
• not less than 250mm above the ground.
Fog lamps must be able to be operated independently from the headlights and driving lights. As a minimum, they must only be able to operate when the park lights are on.
The light emitted shall not cause discomfort by reflecting off any of the vehicle’s surfaces into the driver’s eyes.

Back