1989 l series efi wagon, engine swap ?

turbo1600

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
outback
Transmission
auto
helping a friend out with a 1989 l series wagon with efi engine.
can anybody confirm what engine is in it ?
e.g ea82 , ea 81 etc..

also the engine is pretty worn , so what other engine can be a direct swap , while retaining the l series efi gear ?

BC first gen all had EJ's of one flavour or another.

You can pretty much bolt in any EJ replacement... using the ECU and EFI gear you have usually means its easiest to retain the manifold.

Have a wander over to https://www.dirtyolbc.co.nz/community/

Last edited by a moderator:
The L series came out with the EA82 engine in three configurations: carby, efi and efi turbo.

Any NA efi (MPFI - meaning multi port fuel injection) ea82 will work in your vehicle. Just swap the dizzy and intake to be sure that it'll all work.

You can get a carb block and swap the efi heads onto it so itll be EFI. The only thing it'll be missing is a breather on the block that's on the back right hand side of the engine near the bell housing.

[MENTION=14065]duncanm[/MENTION] the EJ engine unfortunately wasn't offered in the L series (it should've been!). You are correct about the first Gen libertys and the EJ engine.

Cheers

Bennie

Ps: the ea82 MPFI was only offered in the touring wagon and the Leone Royale sedan.

ahh - my bad. I thought this was a first gen leggy.

1989 ?

Yeah 1989 was the first year of the liberty. The L series remained in production until 1994!! I'm not sure what models were available that late in production/runout.

The L series is WAY better with the EJ!

Cheers

Bennie

[MENTION=15422]turbo1600[/MENTION] - we haven't frightened you off have we? I hope not, it's never our intention to scare off members.

How's the hunt for a replacement engine? You'll probably find that the engine in it is fine and that's just how the EA82 "is".

You can check for codes by using a set of connectors under the steering column, then "read the flashes" from the ECU via the LED in the side of the ECU box, it's mounted to the steering column.

This might provide some leads on why the engine may be under performing. When coolant and oil levels are kept in check and within service intervals, these engines will easily go to 300k km and beyond.

Cheers

Bennie

confused..

the engine in it is shagged....i`m really confused by your answer ?/?

Last edited by a moderator:
i`m really confused by your answer ?/?

Yeah sorry! I didn't know the condition of the engine other than the one line about it being tired. The EA82's just feel tired compared to other stuff, and especially against EJs!

the engine in it is shagged....

Like proper shagged? What does this mean exactly? If cam belt(s) is/are broken don't stress. Slap a new kit on as these engines are non interference (and so they should be with such a small rubber band doing the work!).

I hope you find something to replace the boat anchor that's in there now ;)

Cheers

Bennie

engine

Yeah sorry! I didn't know the condition of the engine other than the one line about it being tired. The EA82's just feel tired compared to other stuff, and especially against EJs!

Like proper shagged? What does this mean exactly? If cam belt(s) is/are broken don't stress. Slap a new kit on as these engines are non interference (and so they should be with such a small rubber band doing the work!).

I hope you find something to replace the boat anchor that's in there now ;)

Cheers

Bennie

it has been blowing smoke and has a hole in side of block.

That does sound like it's not just proper shagged, but right proper shagged!

Yeah that would be proper shagged :(

Got any leads on an engine?

I have one. It runs the last time I checked.

Cheers

Bennie

Back