Vert

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester x
Transmission
Auto
Hey all....
Just looking at some Equalising straps for the Forester.
Was thinking 3m long should give a good pulling angle and 3t rating for the tiedown points.

With over 3t bow shackles.

What are you guys using?

I use a tree trunk protector; works well and serves a dual purpose.

tree trunk protector = equalizer strap :) hell even a winch extension strap works, you just dont want to use a snatch strap as an equalizer

Ok was just looking at getting a safe working load of 1.5t round lifting sling as would only be using it doubled.

Gidday Vert

I have a tree hugger (essential to protect our friends, the trees), a snatch strap and an equaliser strap (this is essential to protect monocoque frames), plus a couple of 3.2 tonne WLL rated bow shackles. There is a useful sticky thread about how to use them all.

Having both a tree hugger (with its non-abrasive cover), and a load distribution strap can be very, very useful at times.

The bow shackles must ONLY EVER be attached to the vehicle recovery points, and using the bolt part through the vehicle point so as not to chafe the LDS.

All good... Had a tree protector so grabbed a 2t swl round sling in a 3m.
Aus standard approved with ticks so more confident with that then some of the other gear around.
Will get some more bow shackles soonish. Always good to have some spares... :)

Hmm...a 2t strap? That would be 4,400lb which happens to be the heaviest my OB goes unpaved. That does not sound good at all unless the sling is rated 2t for lifting which in the US would be generally accepted to mean double that for pulling, thus 4t. And even 4t sounds way too little. A 2t strap would be considered ATV strap in the US.

Shackles are different, they are supposed to have big safety factors. Those I like are 4.5:1 so considering that they would be used hopefully once every few years the actual stamped tonnage is less important to me than the ultimate breaking point assuming you buy brand name shackles used in various industries (who would use the generic Amazon shackles in construction and logging or such?).

I have mostly stopped using generic vendors (amazon etc) for such things and turned to a specialized logging supplier site that only offers quality products.

Last edited:
I agree, 2T is too light for any component int snatching. The lightest I like using is a 3.2T bow shackle which as MAS mentioned has a high safety factor. I use a 5T equaliser strap, but as it is often used near things like bumpers where the strain can be localised, using a 8T would not be overkill.

It's really only the snatch strap itself, where stretch is reduced as you go bigger, that 5T would be the maximum

It's 4.5T breaking strain with 2.2T SWL, about the same as my snatch strap & winch extension strap so it should be ok.

When using it, thread the equaliser strap through the snatch strap loop, never use a shackle to join straps. Make sure your bow shackles are good quality rated with the rating stamped on the side.

Vert, I was wrong about your strap, I was thinking it was 2T breaking strain, 2T SWL is fine

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Straps2go-4x4-Snatch-Equalizer-/291837099435

can't recommend that kit more!
-2 3.2 shackles
-equaliser strap
-5.4 ton snatch
-bag
-****ty gloves you might use once to work out how ****ty they are...

Given mine a real punishment over the last few years. Company is owned by JustStraps

EDIT: Even the aussie made kit by them is a great price https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Just-St...a&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=291837099435&rt=nc

Both the same kit, straps2go webbing is made in china

Back