lightweight fw/crank pulley for offroad turbo?

jeffyobxt

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback XT
Transmission
5MT
just been thinking recently on this, and wanted some outside opinions besides those in my head.

i understand the idea of the more mass in the rotating assembly the easier it is to get things moving. so in theory these would be better suited to offroad adventures. my ponderings have me wondering if that isnt off base, especially in reference to a turbo subaru.

im thinking along the lines of shaving a few pounds off the mass of the fw and the crank pulley in order to gain rev speed to get the turbo motor into its happy spot a little easier to make the adventure easier because you are into the juicy parts of the torque band.

i might be completely wrong in this. sorry for the random thought of the day, i tend to get lost in my head while sitting in traffic.

I could see it being advantageous, however lighter weight flywheels make it much easier to stall / harder to take off. Would be even worse in the soft stuff. This is because additional mass on the flywheel makes it more resistant to deceleration in the same way it resists acceleration due to increased inertia. Something like that.

Lighter crank pulley and standard flywheel seems to be a good mix imo.

thats the exact route i was thinking (ahem, already purchased and started, ahhuuuggh) with a standard fw from a wrx (my stock was dual mass and an extra 4-5 lbs) and a lightweight crank pulley. so im not going too extreme in the weight shaving with a 6lb fw and silly stuff like that, but just enough i think. the new clutch and fw i installed already make a bit of a difference in rev speed. it kind of makes it feel like the whole car is lighter with a stab of the throttle at the right rpm.

Lightened bits don't really give more power, just make the car feel a bit different, a bit more punchy, but this doesn't really have any advantage offroad.

For offroading it's good to have the inertia and momentum the standard weight bits (crank, flywheel etc) have. The benefits of this outweigh (heh) the benefits of light weight bits.

better off spending the money on an ECU tune to fatten up that torque band if you haven't done so already

i know it doesnt give more power, more so frees it up. but thats not even the intent. im aiming to just get it to pull through the low rpms faster to get into a usable torque range. having a u.s. market car, 5mt, turbo, the low speed crawling/creeping is lets say difficult. im hoping that if it can rev a little easier and faster i might be able to get it to where its got the power turned on enough to move it. i suppose i could always go with a smaller turbo to get it into boost just off idle, but then id be quite anemic beyond a few thousand rpms.

also dont misunderstand, i dont have a lightweight flywheel, it is still a stock part. just not stock for my car and slightly lighter.

just trying to find ways to make the car a bit easier to get in the woods with until ive hit the lottery or find one hell of a steal to get myself a proper offroad worthy dual range.

All its life my MY03 has stalled very easily. My previous cars have manged to keep lurching along when revs drop too much. Not the Forester. It just dies instantly.
Flywheel is now single mass but even with original dual mass FW it died.
No one seems to be able to fix.
Even Norrie at ADS commented and said his Liberty (I think) does the same. Suggested using LR in traffic.
Think I`ll live with it as is.
Have for 308000kms so far.........

if im on flat roads or very minor inclines i can idle cruise mine around with the mph sitting flat on zero. might help that my car has 4.44 gears. im thinking more about some slow uphill crawls....................

also think every now and then about h6 autos, lol. all in fun, gotta have a hobby right.

Mine rarely will idle along in high range. It tends to "kangaroo hop" which is very annoying in heavy traffic. LR of course will work for an idle crawl but I live with the problem. Almost as if first HR is just a tad too high.

Just get a tune. The stock tune is seriously rubbish!!

There is only so much you can do with the td04l and a 2.5 ltr, so low down pickup and mid range is where its at. Anything above 5500 rpms is just hot air. I have no problems crawling at 500rpms in first even with the clutch slipping to a degree.

I had a LW Perrin pulley on my '12 WRX and loved it. Perrin advertises that the pulleys work on most EJ style engines. Any worries about putting it on my 99 Forester S automatic?

I should probably state that Perrin advertises them for 2002+ Foresters, but not for my 99. Isnt it a similar engine?

Back