Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Fridges

Notices

Unread 16th August 2014, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

^ But we have that ability, and look at the use/s to which we have put it - killing each other, instead of (potentially) saving all of us ... .

As for fridges, why not take the approach that different technologies/brands/etc suit different people? Isn't that a more reasonable approach?

It isn't any kind of competition, AFAIACS ... .
Unread 16th August 2014, 03:10 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
silver is on a distinguished road

Get what you think suits you, it IS horses for courses. Personally I see no advantage whatsoever in a 3 way fridge. Possibly the cheaper initial cost but this is only an advantage if you use the fridge very spasmodically. The more you use it the more the cost advantage disappears. If I was travelling with kids I wouldn't touch one. I don't like gas operated appliances and kids together. My 50ltr Waeco cost me $750 NEW. I got it a trade show for $900 with a cover and a Waeco cool box which I sold for $150. Deals like this are available fairly regularly and Engel make a reasonably priced plastic style fridge also.
Solar panels, whilst probably a bit expensive to start with can have a variety of uses and pretty much last forever. A good AGM battery can be had for around $280/320 and will last for at least 5 years, more like 6 or 7, if looked after.
For a lot of campers these days a solar panel and a battery is just a normal part of the whole exercise. If not it's just an esky and ice and that is still my favourite place to keep a beer!! It's just too much trouble though.
Anyway, get what suits you, it's just my point of view after seeing them in operation and having what I have.
Unread 29th December 2017, 12:04 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Transmission: Manual
Dunco is on a distinguished road

I've got a waeco cf50 and its bloody brilliant. When heading out on a camping trip I plug it in the 12v cig outlet in the back and when I'm at camp I plug it into a 12v AGM battery and keep it charged with cheap 120 watt folding solar panel off ebay. Best setup I've ever had.

My best tip (when in the tropics) is to buy a stand to keep the fridge off the ground. Saves your back when opening and closing. And definitely keep it under cover at night to stop morning dew soaking the cover.
Unread 30th December 2017, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2000
Transmission: 5MT
Tweaksta is on a distinguished road

Before solar panels and batteries became cheap, the 3-way fridge in our campervan was great. A 9 kg gas bottle would keep the fridge and freezer running for about 30 days which cost around $11 in 2005. Then you could switch it over to 12v while driving. With a draw of over 70 amps, you had to be careful not to switch off the engine before firstly switching it off 12v or else the aux battery would be sucked dry before you could say "Mousebat Follicle Goosecreature Ampersand Spong Wapcaplet Looseliver Vendetta and Prang."

Nowadays with our Waeco, 140w panel and 100ah battery we have infinite days of refrigeration.....even with a few consecutive cloudy days we still generate more power than we consume.
Unread 15th January 2018, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

May be of interest: I had reason to visit a fridge service centre last week and asked them what is the best portable fridge on the market atm - the new Waeco CFX range was highly recommended. Engel also recommended but preference was Waeco especially because of after-sales service. While under warranty it seems that if a Waeco customer thinks there is a problem with their fridge but turns out to not be a problem after testing, Waeco still pays the service centre promptly for their work i.e. no charge to the customer. I think that's pretty good!

With that said, my Evakool fridges have not let me down and, fingers crossed, have never needed any servicing. My oldest Evakool is now 13 yo.
Unread 16th January 2018, 04:14 AM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

About the only thing I've read that would make any difference to the majority of fridges nowadays is how they work when on an angle. I know Engel used to have the edge in that regard, whether that's still the case, I don't know.

I have an Engel, just a cheapy though. Only had it three years or so, but hasn't missed a beat - doesn't get a huge amount of use though, a few weeks a year in total. I have been told that to ensure longevity, it's best to have them turned on when at home too. That's from people that have very old Engels.
Unread 5th July 2018, 01:46 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1998. Hopefully 2010
Model: Landcruiser Troopy. Next purchase Forester.
Transmission: Manual. Auto.
ignas is on a distinguished road

Newbie here.

Looks like a forester is the next purchase. Did some research & it seems to be one of the best AWDs going round & now I found this incredible forum with plenty of info on what to do to them.

Regarding fridge/freezers here's some info I recently put on a comparison site where people were bagging the Waeco now a Dometic?? & flogging the Engel as the one and only. I think I pretty well got it right.

"My 40/50L is 7-8yrs old. Can't remember which size, where I bought it. It works well but it's not a home fridge/freezer on 240V & should be compared to one. No mobile fridge is perfect. Waecoís are not as robust as Engels but are smaller, probably more efficient size wise, use less power, easier to carry around, softer rounder corners but still tough. Engels are better for more extreme conditions, larger, more permanent installations & for the more particular/fussy person, ugly (fridge, that is), easily dented sheet steel sides, more pointy corners. My unit gets carried from my Troopy (big ugly Landcruiser) to the Hyundai to the Audi. Will buy a Waeco CF21L for the Audi & a newly purchased tiny AWD (Diahatsu Terious) Engels arenít suitable for placing on leather seats. (Yes, I know it should be tied down)

Put in frozen bottles of water, softies, meat etc. from the home freezer before a trip. Use the corners (the coldest/fastest cooling areas) & sides to freeze water bottles, quick chills beers (glass bottles), recent purchases esp. meat/seafood. Put less cold temp. fridge items like fruit, bananas, butter in the fridge section which doesn't always get too cool on super hot days. Always monitor your fridge/freeze esp. in differing outside temps & in a locked car on 40C days. Put colder fridge items cold meats, your thawing meats higher up in the middle where itís cooler. Use corners to freeze water bottles & use them in a small soft cooler bag for day use, picnics, walks etc.

Set it at the lowest temperatures on hot days & when driving & turn to a warmer settings when parking to save your battery & overnight to avoid excessive freezing. Rotate your items, don't open the lid too often, supervise children & drunks scavenging it's depths for beer, both who donít shut the lid properly. Latches can fail, so clamp it down or put something on top. Be nice to Waeco people, they gave me a new latch but I never put it on as the lid sits tight naturally."
Unread 5th July 2018, 12:13 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

everyone uses what it needs for area i think and how much ppl going on trip and whos going. i look those overlanding videos where ppl making like real food every evening and taking so much time for it just to have like real meal cooked for hr or more. so nto everybody needs that rly or enjoy i guess. and who dont have such remote areas dont need like real fridge at all. i use cooler i guess thats how they called , they just coolers that works from 12v. they cools food or drinks enough to keep them cold. and cost like 50-80euros new.
but solars get better and better is very cool thing. just those good batterys cost a lot still. i just use second car battery . i tried couple times and its enough for that cooler to run overnight at least.
real fridges are cool sure . and they are used for reason. reason that i dont have where i live. and it makes car heavier , some ppl even making boxes for them. even more weight in car.
i dont get ppl who live here where you can drive to other country in couple ours , and they build they cars as australians do for thousand km without water source or shops. some maybe think its cool as concept so everyone needs that. i like minimalistic approach and everything can be in bags so everything removable.
Unread 5th July 2018, 08:03 PM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalman View Post
i dont get ppl who live here where you can drive to other country in couple ours , and they build they cars as australians do for thousand km without water source or shops.

Where I am, you can drive for an hour or less and if you end up in the wrong spot at the wrong time, you could be stuck there for days if not weeks without seeing anyone.
I think it's more about population density rather than distance when it comes to taking provisions.
Unread 5th July 2018, 08:19 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

Nice place you live in sir . would be cool to experience that. I still allways have some water with me. So i wouldnt need to look for shop to buy some or petrol station. They cost there more too. Still ppl here or in europe mostly building their cars after some cool car they see in net . and i think many us or aus ppl overdoing stuff as well. Like just in case i will need food for army so i will take fridge full of meat in my car.
I could do camping for 2 weeks or so and cook some pasta with some smoked sausages then egs or some dry food. I rly dont care for that much. That all food could fit in one bag too.