Geolandar A/T GO15

Subaru Man

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
CVT
The Geolandar AT/S GO12 gets a lot of positive reviews but in the USA and some other countries this tyre has been replaced by the A/T GO15.

So, I thought I might start a new thread (move if wishing!) re this tyre as I haven't been able to find any details re a proposed release date in Australia.

Does anyone have any idea how long an Australian tyre release has followed a US release? I could always phone the local tyre dealer and see if they know but I thought someone here might have some idea. I figure I could either wait for the new tyre to be released as it may be significantly better or there should be better deals on the current tyre.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1605-tire-review-yokohama-geolandar-at-g015/

I've been using the AT/S GO12 tyres for about 10 years now, and they have been great. Unfortunately the GO15 doesn't come in a 215/60 16 size (03 Foresters), so hopefully the GO12 tyres are on the market for a while yet, s I don't expect they would produce a 215/60 size for what is now a fairly small market, only a few cars run that size. 215/65 gets too close to the suspension components with snow chains.

How do you guys feel about the tire being rated for Light truck application?

It makes all the difference in the world, both ways:

- LT will have stronger sidewalls, which makes it perfect for extended use at low pressures

But the LT requires higher street pressures, which means that airing down is no longer optional and that the ride is bound to be a little harsher.

I have the old Geolander ATS and TA KO2 at present so the differences are obvious.

I am not sure what people like about the old ATS, assuming it is the same as G012. I have had two sets and they are hands down the worst tire I have had this decade. While they are just fine off-road, their performance in corners and under emergency braking is downright scary. The KO2s are far superior on road!

Other tires we have had on our Subarus this decade: Toyo Open Country AT II (excellent all around, superb on dirt), Nitto 420S (outstanding road tire), Yoko 580 (ok street tire), Sumitomo HTR Sport (fine street tire), Continental WhateverContactItWas (stock OB tire, awful off pavement, fine on road), BFG TA KO2: surprisingly excellent performance on road (though harsher ride), superb offroad at low pressures.

I am not sure what people like about the old ATS, assuming it is the same as G012. I have had two sets and they are hands down the worst tire I have had this decade. The KO2s are far superior on road!

The Coopers I had when I got my car were actually worse on road, although unlike the ATS I never got a puncture. The KO2's might be far superior on road to the ATS, but I suspect my RE002's are better again, without ever having let me down off road.

Nor am I. Perhaps they like changing tyres in the bush.

:ebiggrin:Never had a puncture with them yet.

However, one reason is the lack of 215/60 16 tyres - if you need that size, you don't have much choice (if you are after an A/T type tyre). Would love to try the TA K02 if they had the right size!

I, too, am thankful for not having had a puncture off-road. Got one in town. But I attribute this to the fact that I do not air them down unless necessary.

Ditto, for size. They were the only one in 225 60 17 and the only others in 225 65 17 were not better. Now there are better options.

I am not sure what people like about the old ATS, assuming it is the same as G012. I have had two sets and they are hands down the worst tire I have had this decade. While they are just fine off-road, their performance in corners and under emergency braking is downright scary. The KO2s are far superior on road!

I wonder if you had the infamous Geosquealer? I think they're G900(?) They're famous for their terrible grip onroad & their squealing in corners. The G012 I have grip pretty well onroad esp in the wet. The G015 is reported to be better plus has the snowflake symbol for snow use

Having said that, The KO2 is a brilliant tyre. Very tough LT construction and probably the best all terrain tyre offroad

It is possible that the ATS in the US is not the same as G012 in Australia, which would explain the discrepancies. I have never seen the G012 designator here.

I have no doubts that G015 is a very good tire. There is also a new Continental AT tire in sizes of interest to Subaru owners. It is mild and optimized for road performance. I wonder which in between G015 and the new Conti is better off-road.

For a year I have been operating under the assumption that I will be replacing the ATS with a milder AT while keeping the KO2s only for offroad but I am starting to think that I will just move to KO2s full time, getting a new set when the current one falls under 6-7/32nds and relegating the old one to town/weekend trips.

After all, the combined weight of even stock wheels and KO2s does not exceed that of steel wheels and Geolanders so I hope the suspension will be ok with it. What do you think?

I read through this topic a few weeks ago, but didn't pay close attention. Then, last week, I drove down a flooded street a bit fast and blew up one of my Geolandar A/T-S tires. Must have hit a sharp object hidden under the water. When I went to order a replacement on TireRack, all I could find was the G015. Remembered the thread and now I'm back here. ;)

Unfortunately the GO15 doesn't come in a 215/60 16 size (03 Foresters), so hopefully the GO12 tyres are on the market for a while yet.

Interestingly, here in the US the G015 is available in 215/60R-16 size. Thank goodness! Otherwise I might have to throw out three perfectly good tires.

Now my question: Can I safely run a new G015 alongside my three old A/T-S tires? They look pretty much identical to me. And, if necessary to protect AWD powertrain, I can ask the tire store to shave down the new tire to match radius of the old ones.

It is possible that the ATS in the US is not the same as G012 in Australia, which would explain the discrepancies. I have never seen the G012 designator here.

I have also only seen the A/T-S designation here in US, never G013. However, I've been very happy with them. Obviously not as smooth as a summer or all-season tire. But decent performance all around, plus you get the off-road tread.

I wouldn't run a GO15 with GO13's even shaved down as it may not have the same technology (plies, rubber compound...) and it could affect the driveability/safety.

Thanks! I thought about it some more, and what you say makes sense. I also found some reviews of the G015, and it's completely re-engineered, so quite a different, much improved tire. Wish I could get a whole new set. ;)

On the upside, I found at least one small online retailer that appears to have old stock of the A/T-S in the correct size. If I can confirm they indeed have stock of the old A/T-S, and not just forgot to update their listing for the G015, I'll go ahead with that.

I'm running 225/70/15 G015's on a 2007 H6 Outback (not recommended with low offset tires, had to get the car modified, not fun) - Haven't had the chance to properly test the tires, but so far, I love the tire, going to use it 4 seasons onroad + offroad

When I bought the tire, the place I bought it from, the main/only Yokohama dealer in Ankara indicated they should be 36psi

Everyone else suggests/urges me to run 29-30psi, I've moved down to 32psi (while moving down, one tire was 38, another was 39, the Yokohama dealer also destroyed 10 studs and lug nuts, so I'm leaning towards them being a bit questionable)

So basically, my question is, what should be the pressure for 225/70/15's on an unloaded H6 Outback onroad

Back