winch

One of the smaller winches from Tigerz11 might be a goer too.

I've just put one of the 12,000 lbs ones on my parent's Patrol. Havn't had a chance to use it in anger yet. but know someone who has one on their truck. have 2 go and get it bogged now and test it out :) $845 for the winch...did the install myself. Oh and they come standard with rope and not cable. Makes a 10kg difference to the front of the vehicle.

You'd have to make a mounting plate for it etc...maybe update the battery. The 12,000lbs ones requre >= 600 CCA...

But what part of the front of the vehicle would the winch attach to?

The danger is that, without traditional chassis rails, you could 'pull the front off the vehicle'.

thats why i rekon the back of the car is the way to go.

my batteru is 800 cca i think so it should be okay

Think about it, you got stuck going forward into the muck, do you really want to pull yourself through it not knowing where you may end up on the other side. Remember, if you do get yourself through going forward, you may have to turn around later, you have to come through the same stuff again. Also, remember you need something to hook onto to pull yourself out. I have seen a danford boat anchor modified to dig into the sand/dirt to provide that tie point.

About the battery, a winch will pull down a battery real quick if the engine is not running, so if you are flooded in a creek, get yourself out by the shortest route.

You will also need quick disconnects for the battery lines, I have used the Anderson connectors, work good and handle the high amp draws well.

On my 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 I have a 12,000 lb hydraulic winch, can pull all day as long as the engine is running.

i was gunna pup the battery in the back of the car (its sealed) and then i have a 100 amp cable running from the front battery to charge it, meaning i hace 900 amps of available power to the winch if the car uis running.
i can leave it hooked up all the time too if i need but not the best idea if people wanna play silly buggers in the carpark

Is this the winch in the photo you sent me? Or did you end up getting a new one?

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 36
yeh that's it, didnt have enough power tho, it was 1700 pounds. i rekon u need a good 5-6000 pound one

Think about it, you got stuck going forward into the muck, do you really want to pull yourself through it not knowing where you may end up on the other side. Remember, if you do get yourself through going forward, you may have to turn around later, you have to come through the same stuff again.

Don't know about everyone else, but for me, my winch will be used to get me places. In which case, pulling backwards ain't gana do it.

Eg, going to the cape up the telegraph track, pulling backwards isnt going to get me there.

Don't know about everyone else, but for me, my winch will be used to get me places. In which case, pulling backwards ain't gana do it.

Eg, going to the cape up the telegraph track, pulling backwards isnt going to get me there.

The problem is, there isn't really anything to attach a winch to on th efront of a Subi, short of doing some extensive engineering underneath. Therefore, pretty much limited to using something like a Turfor hand winch to pull yourself through using a distribution strap.

I have been thinking about this a bit, and seriously question using 'tracks' which require the vehicle to be repeatedly dragged / drag itself through.

Back