Fazed's 2003 Forester

Got a 2003 blue Forester.
It has been recently serviced and had a head gasket change.
It has oem alloys but I also got a set of steel rims, which going off previous posts won't be needed as the alloys should be plenty strong enough.

After having the car nearly 2 weeks a few things need attention.
The clock light doesn't work, the rear wiper doesn't work, the tyres are showing age and I get a whistle from the exhaust when under acceleration over 3K rpm.

This sunday was fix it day. The clock light was easy. The rear wiper was little more challenging. Didnt get any voltage at the rear wiper connector. I knew the fuse wasnt blown as the rear washer stikk works and they share the same fuse. Followed the cable run back to the right rear corner ofthe car and found a black box that was disconnected. Plugged the cable back in and the wipers fired up. The only thing was the wiper arc was wrong and was swinging right to left below the window. The resting place for the arm was on the right hand side of the window. I had a little chuckle, did someone replace the wiper arm, put it in wrong, couldn't figure it out and disabled the system by pulling the plug on the wiper controller? So a simple repositioning if the wiper arm to the bottom left of the window had the correct swing arc and a working rear wiper again.

No stress, they haven't arrived yet. Hopefully by the end of the week.

Did the CV's today. The drivers side one was getting very noisy and as I got an early knock off from work, it was as good a time as any. Undid the ball joint so as to not upset the wheel alignment and it provided ample room to remove and install the shaft. Have to watch the drivers side that you don't take out the o2 sensor.

I jacked up one side at a time and only lost about 250ml of oil which is convenient as I had 250ml of Nulon gearbox treatment to put in and the gearbox oil was changed only a few thousand kms ago.

I still have a slight knock when I hit bumps but you have to listen for it. There is no detectable play in the wheel bearings, ball joints, control arm bushes. The only thing I can see is that the boots on the sway bar links look worse for wear. Maybe the shock is on the way out?

The junk ebay cv shafts were causing vibtaions under acceleration. They were so cheap its not worth paying the postage to send them back. I will keep them as a 'get me out of the poo' set. Got a new set from Outer control and the ride is smooth again.

Bad sway bar links were the cause of the clunk, new ones fitted and its all quiet again. New window gussets as well. Silience is golden.

Looks like no more trips for me for a little while. Got rear ended yesterday and after getting quotes for my insurance company, looks like it may be a write off.

Have to see if it is written off, got assessed for 2 quotes today for the insurance and both said it is too close to call if it will be written off or repaired. I've been through the whole registering a written off vehicle before and not keen to do it again, so will probally not buy back the wreck. If someone here wants it I can ask the insurance company for a buy back price.

The damage in the picture doesn't look too bad but the right rear section has been pushed in by about 2 inches. Non of the boot floor panels fit anymore. Sad thing is, it looks like the perpetrators car is undamaged.

20141211_150940_zpsd500f97a.jpg

I'll probably grab the insurance payout if it not repaired and get a Prado with so much bar work it'll be a sherman tank.

The problem is, if i get another Forester, I have to start again. Prado comes with every thing I need without having to change it.

That's my point, don't want to have to do that every time some numpty decides to run into me. I'd rather buy a car that suits my needs with minimal modification. The Prado has 120+ litres of diesel in 2 tanks, the ground clearance would be at the same if not more than a lifted Forester, better low range, not to mention stronger components and a chassis.

Sorry to hear about your car mate.

But as you stated above a "proper 4x4" is easier to use straight off the shelf and requires less modifications and accessories to do what you want. I think it would be a good idea to upgrade to a body on frame vehicle if you're going to be offroading in the future :)

But as you stated above a "proper 4x4" is easier to use straight off the shelf and requires less modifications and accessories to do what you want.

That's what I thought too! You will still mod once bitten by the mod bug :iconwink:

Sorry about the Foz Fazed - if they don't fix it, it will give you a good step up to something larger.

Geez, Fazed, sorry to hear about your car, mate :(.

I know what it's like taking lots of care to get a decent one (two, in our case).
Then have some nitwit tail-end you like that.

I had it happen once in Number One Colt. The offending vehicle was being driven by the secretary of an insurance broker - he was in the passenger seat! Needless to say, no expense was spared fixing it as good as new, and quickly ... :poke: :iconwink: :lol:.

Hope you also have a good outcome.

My insurance company has received both quotes from the smash repair places. One is for $ 5.7K and the other is for $4.5K. Can't help but think that the guys that quoted the smaller figure have missed something as they will undoubtedly get the job off the insurance company. Mind you it shouldn't matter as the other guy was at fault and any costs should be recovered back of him or his insurance.

So my car is market valued at $7k with an additional $3k cover for accessories. When deciding if a vehicle is a write off do they take into account the additional cover? Also what percentage of the value is the deciding factor if it is repairable or not?

That's what I thought too! You will still mod once bitten by the mod bug :iconwink:

Sorry about the Foz Fazed - if they don't fix it, it will give you a good step up to something larger.

I am over modding. Been doing it to various cars and motorbikes over the last 20 years. The Forester is the last. Next car will be suitable for what I need in a standard package, so I can just get out and enjoy.

^ fair 'nuff. (so no bulbar, rear bar, winch, snorkel, rock sliders, fridge slide, water storage, dual batteries......etc) :ebiggrin:

Back