SG9 ECU relocation: how-to-do thread

kiwifoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L series
Transmission
5 speed dual-range PT4WD
So having done a bit of reading on various Subaru forums, and because NZ 4wd tracks almost invariably involve crossing rivers, I wanted to move the ECU in my Forester.
The stock location for all Forester ECUs (except 2.0 SF models) is under a steel panel in the passenger's footwell. This is easily accessed by popping off the sill kick panel and pulling up the carpet a bit.
123w9x2.jpg

Then you just undo a couple of bolts and the ECU comes out. Before unplugging it I'd recommend disconnecting the battery.

To remove the glovebox, simply open it, empty out your stuff and undo the seven screws. It'll pretty much fall off then.

I looked around to try and fit the ECU behind the glovebox but there just wasn't enough space. So I grabbed my jigsaw and went to town.
Popped off the owner's manual holder, and cut a rectangular hole in the back of the glovebox for the rear of the ECU to poke through.
2j298p4.jpg

Mount the ECU using cable ties through the holes for the owner's manual shelf (you could drill holes and bolt if you want).

One thing you will need to do (if your car has cruise control) is undo the two bolts holding the module on and let it fall down - this is necessary to route the ECU cabling.
106heae.jpg

You can then cable tie it back up under the dash, I attached it to the ECU wiring bundle.
11jvp1w.jpg

Basically, this mod will stop you drowning your ECU if you get water in the car - it increases the wading depth by around 20cm (airbag module is under stereo).

Finished product:
ossieo.jpg

You don't actually lose any glovebox space as the ECU takes up around the same volume as the owner's manual shelf.

Disclaimer - this is likely to void any warranty you may have, and proceed at your own risk as you could damage your ECU, wiring etc.

Cunningly done , KF :biggrin:.

I use the OM slot for my written spiral bound trip log book. My new tablet will fit in the other part of the glove box. My OM resides in the back pocket of the driver's seat cover.

Thanks for the write up. Thought I might add my own photo's as well.

IMG_20150714_133127.jpg

IMG_20150714_135028.jpg

IMG_20150714_135043.jpg
IMG_20150714_141102.jpg

IMG_20150714_162218.jpg

Initially had it hard to the passenger side, but the plugs foul on the heating/air unit, so ended up hard on the drivers side. I wanted to keep the originally brackets on the side and sort of bent them to suit the shelf, which I refitted for the hell of it.

I was wondering KW how you ran the loom? Did you just sort of bend it up or did you re-route it behind the air unit?

While I was at it I added some spacers to the glovebox latch mechanism to get it closing a little tighter/flush and hopefully fix an annoying squeek.

Last edited:
Your photos are not showing up, V ... :poke: :(.

[Edit] OK now, thanks :) [end edit]

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. Thought I might add my own photo's as well.

Initially had it hard to the passenger side, but the plugs foul on the heating/air unit, so ended up hard on the drivers side. I wanted to keep the originally brackets on the side and sort of bent them to suit the shelf, which I refitted for the hell of it.

I was wondering KW how you ran the loom? Did you just sort of bend it up or did you re-route it behind the air unit?

While I was at it I added some spacers to the glovebox latch mechanism to get it closing a little tighter/flush and hopefully fix an annoying squeek.

So you've sold your EZ30 Legacy and gone SG then Venom? You should start a build thread, can't wait to see pics as your last Subie was pretty mean.

Your install is much neater than my hack job was. I just cut the back off the glovebox pretty messily and cabled tied the ECU in - I had to pull the wiring bundle off a couple of its clips but I didn't reroute it at all, it just fitted up the side of the tranny tunnel and behind the glovebox with the perfect length wiring from the factory. I didn't route it behind the air unit as I didn't think it would fit/be long enough? It's around 8 months since I did it so memory is a little blurry now.

I cabled tied the ECU in and then plugged the wires in before reinstalling the glovebox myself, I think your way is easier though...

I no longer have the car so can't take any more pics sorry, it was written off a couple of months ago.

The Liberty is still sitting in front of the house. It'll most likely be parted out, just waiting for better weather.

I took an angle grinder to my glovebox thing and it did a fairly neat job. Then same as you I just pulled the cabling straight up more of less . It wasn't very flexible and I was concerned that the angle on the plugs would be wrong if i moved it too much.

Good little mod this.

^ and what about that thing that looks very suspiciously like an SG then, V? .... ;)

Was rereading this thread and noticed I misnamed it - should be SG9 ECU relocation as my Forester was a 2.5 (SG9) not a 2.0 (SG5). Cheers

Well - I've seen posts where the ECU can still get wet in an SH so I can only assume it's in the same place i.e. passenger floor for us RH drivers.
You going swimming Craig? Must check mine one day!
This suggests it should be the same:

Would this be the same process for a SH
Yup very similar. ECU is in same place and is able to be moved to glovebox. Would highly recommend doing this as it takes very little water to write the car off.

Back