Breathers...Includes a how to DIY.

Eastie

Forum Member
Has anyone taken the step of extending the AT and/or diff breather lines?
I had a look last weekend and found them (?) sitting near the rear engine mount near the firewall in a fairly low position (05xt). Any idea where the rear one is and if it's worth extending also?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have put extended breathers on the rear of mine. (05XT Manual)

It is quite an easy mod that can be done & will only take you about an hour or so to do.

I'll hunt around for some pics of when I did mine & put a post up with the details & instructions of how it's done.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I have done the rear diff breather in my Outback, sorry should say, I watched Mr Turbo do the rear diff breather in my Outback. (Thanx.) Again no current pics.

It now finishes up inside the cabin, up and behind the right rear light cluster.

The Outback was easier to do than the Forry due to there being a little more room to move under & around the diff.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Kevin uses breathers front and rear, with fuel filters at the top to keep dirt from entering the diff. How dare he go off and enjoy himself while the rest of us ponder jealously! :)

I did my pajero not long ago and it's a pretty simple mod with the right dia fuel tube and some filters. There's also an option of fitting a bag over the end (instead of a mini fuel filter) to make it a sealed system instead of the flters - never tried it but the logic works.
The thing i noticed about the forester is the low location of the standard ones - looks like it only offers a 400-500mm wading depth?

I just popped the rear breather off & drilled it out. It is either 8mm or 9mm. I then used some tubing with the same outside diameter & jammed it in untill it was about half way into the breather cap. Then the tricky part...trying to get the breather cap back into the diff.

If you undo the 2 nuts & take the 2 bolts out from the diff that hold it into the sub frame, you will have more room to pop it back into place.

I can't find the pics of it/them at the moment, so I'll crawl under the there in the next couple of days, take a few pics to explain the process a bit more.
When you see the pics it will make more sense of what I'm taking about.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I guess another alternative is when you need to replace the rear CV's, get them to drop the diff out and tap a tread in and make a screw in bolt with a hole machined out the centre so that you can place the pipe into.

But maybe that is just going a little over the top...

Ok then, as I said in an earlier post, If you undo the 2 nuts & take the 2 bolts out from the diff that hold it into the sub frame, you will have more room to pop it back into place. In doing this the diff will hang a little lower with the axels resting on the exhaust pipe.

I just popped the rear breather cap off & drilled it out. It is either 8mm or 9mm

I then used some tubing with the same outside diameter & jammed it in untill it was about half way into the breather

Then the tricky part...trying to get the breather cap back into the diff.
Just persevere with it, it just pushesback in (does not screw in)

Once this is done, just run the tubing to wherever you want to.
I ran mine up into the RHS strut cavity via the existing hole in the floor (on RHS of spare wheel well) & up into the rear quarter panel.

I hope that with the included pics, it now makes more sense.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Last edited by a moderator:
OR if you've got a lifted outback it a piece of piss! right Damo?

You're not wrong about that mate. I had the rear one done in no time at all. Sinking a cold beer on a hot day would have taken longer I think. :monkeydance:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Damien,

I'll still have to catch up and put those breathers on my car at some stage.

I think we need to organise a trip soon.

Damien,

I'll still have to catch up and put those breathers on my car at some stage.

I haven't forgotten mate, it's just that I've been a little busy of late.
So with the Xmas holidays coming up (I've got 4 weeks off :woohoo:) & with almost nothing planned in that time I'm sure we can organise to get them (breathers) done during that time. :)

I think we need to organise a trip soon.

Yes I agree. :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back