Oricom micro UHF radio

havachat

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester SG
Transmission
1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
Supercheap Auto have on sale the Oricom ultra compact UHF 80 channel radio for $129 normally $199.
Are these radios any good ? They are a lot cheaper than the GME or Uniden micro UHF radios.

Gidday HC

Another thing to check out today!!

Thanks for the heads up on this, mate .... :)

From my Batphone

Thanks idw for your comments. I currently have a Uniden 2 watt hand held which is good but would like to get a 5 watt unit and fixed antenna. i note for the web link you sent me this unit is backed by Oricom for 3 years. I guess if their units are crap they would be getting a lot of returns.
RB the unit is tiny so it should be easy to find a suitable location in the car which appeals to me.

I had no idea about the warranty, I went to buy it at repco but they didn't have an aerial, so i went to bcf to have it price matched and the aerial thrown in, a gme 6.5db aerial.

Something to think about when getting and aerial as well

telcoantennas.com.au said:
uhf-aerial-mobile-phone-antenna-gain-explanation.png

It's handy to make sure the one you get can use a repeater, there's a few uhf repeaters around the vic high country. ctss is helpful as well to setup convoy channels without anyone else's chatter.

Hand when putting in the aerial make sure you terminate it properly! bad termination with give you terrible range and a scratchy signal.

Having a handheld is very useful too, I've a 1watt handheld. Good for recovery, giving to someone without a radio if your traveling together and going for a walk camp.

The smaller ones are great for finding a mounting locations, my din one doesn't really fit ( https://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4421/mn6d.jpg ) but i have a spare bit of trim if i ever take it out.

Last edited:
Supercheap Auto have on sale the Oricom ultra compact UHF 80 channel radio for $129 normally $199.
Are these radios any good ? They are a lot cheaper than the GME or Uniden micro UHF radios.

I have one of them in the soob! Yes its pretty good. Clear sound, plenty loud enough, pretty tough. I have another Oricom in my other car and i had another Ori for a year in a car i sold a lil while ago. Never had a fault with any of them.

Good choice :) I put mine where the ash tray used to be because who needs that sh*t.

As for the radio work perfectly fine.

How to mount it where the ashtray is?! I've had a look but I can't work out how to mount my radio.

^ ditto. In my SG series II.

Where to run the aerial cable, mount the aerial?

From my Batphone

Well I bought one. It is so tiny will probably mount between the front passenger seat and the centre consol near the hi/lo range lever. I will order the AT 870 antenna with stubby and longer whips and mount that on the bullbar.

How to mount it where the ashtray is?! I've had a look but I can't work out how to mount my radio.

Most subarus have ashtrays that mount with two screws to the dash/trim piece that covers the radio/aircon, maybe take it off and sus out fabing a bracket? Haven't taken a close look at a liberty personally so not 100% sure.

I think the sg is two pieces one for the ashtray/trim and another trim piece for the radio/aircon cover.

Back