• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Taza's Forester engine options

^ You can't manually. I have a piggyback computer/ECU then I plug my laptop into it and program it. I'm far from a dyno'ing expert but it runs alright.

Gidday Taza

Well tonight was the final straw!!! Almost 10,000km on the new engine and over 100,000km of me behind the wheel of her and she's finally gone! T-Boned by a bloody commodore :eek:

You had me going there, for a minute ... ;)

Hahaha Just joking, she's running strong as ever. Getting very close to hitting 10k on the engine. Running smooth, all new suspension all round, new engine, gearbox, clutch and rear diff all new within the past year.
Just needs a few new CV's.
Engine has been the best change to the car, adequate power for all situations. Goes hard when you give it sh*t. Pulling onto the freeway flat out she'll upto 100km/hr pretty well in 3rd gear :cool:
Haven't been on a proper weekend away trip offroad yet as life gets in the way.
I have found myself on numerous occasions taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear from a standstill. Very surprising how it takes off in 3rd gear easier than that the 2.0l donk did from a standstill in 1st.

Good to hear, mate. I find the same thing. Took off from a standstill yesterday in 3rd (thought I was in first - doh)! It did it, but with some complaining; very slightly uphill at that.

Glad that you are still very happy with your "new" beast. You had plenty of trials and tribulations along the way!

Well tonight was the final straw!!! Almost 10,000km on the new engine and over 100,000km of me behind the wheel of her and she's finally gone! T-Boned by a bloody...

I gasped when I read that! Not that far from an everyday reality for most.

My greatest fear is the one you don't see!

:o

Well tonight was the final straw!!! Almost 10,000km on the new engine and over 100,000km of me behind the wheel of her and she's finally gone! T-Boned by a bloody commodore :eek:

Hahaha Just joking,
Holy :censored: mate. You scared the living you know what out of me for a second there :raspberry:

Great to hear that you're really enjoying your Forry's transplant :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Me too! But I thought it would have been Taza at fault :poke:

Seriously, I was even telling Mrs El_Freddo about it... then tell her it wasn't true :evil:

And why a commodore? Could've been an excell or a falcon or an imax, there's enough of them getting around these days!

Cheers

Bennie

Well now having had my EJ251 in for almost a year, 17, 000km on it and running good.

I went with a motor from a gen 3 Outback (2003), fully rebuilt both top and bottom end and used ACL race series bearings.
Best thing I did to the vehicle! Has plenty of power for a 4 cylinder, massive amounts of torque for all applications.
Fuel economy is average but I suspect that this is due to a number of sensors giving false readings. Slowly replacing one at a time and am gaining improvements.

Good to hear, Taza.

According to Lucas, the weakest part of the EJ-251/253 donk is the crank bearings ...

But then, he is building engines that routinely have the living crap flogged out of them ...

Quite right Ratbag.
I make full use of my rev range offroad. As per our last offroad trip I went past the rev limiter a few times. Good thing for the race bearings as that'll help prevent spinning a bearing when racing the motor.

If there is anything I'd pick on about the motor it'd be the slow acceleration. Conpared to most other EJ25 Subies ive driven its noticabley slower. That may be due to the weight I am constantly mocing around (1700kg) . However the torque seems to be better than that of Stilson's, Beej's and Red XS's. Probably being fully rebuilt and always ran on BP98 fuel.
The slightly lower gearing might have an effect on this too.

When you get a chance, we'd love to hear all the bits you put into your engine, ie, the specifics of how it was rebuilt.

Those sensors do affect economy heaps, big tyres too, also the lining of your boot...lead or feathers lol :rotfl:

Well the sensors NL are the ones off my second motor. So they'd have around 300, 000km on them.
I have changed both the knock sensor and the oxygen sensor.

I feel that the map sensor, coolant temp and tps shouod all be changed too.

Well its really only a 2 person car as the rear seats, footwells and boot are always full of stuff. My right foot is quite heavy however when I drive softly it doesnt seem to effect economy at all.

Gidday again Taz

Quite right Ratbag.
I make full use of my rev range offroad. As per our last offroad trip I went past the rev limiter a few times. Good thing for the race bearings as that'll help prevent spinning a bearing when racing the motor.

Yeah, The expensive part these days is pulling a donk down. Getting the right parts is usually insignificant on the financial side of things (and knowing what the "right" parts are ... !).

If there is anything I'd pick on about the motor it'd be the slow acceleration. Conpared to most other EJ25 Subies ive driven its noticabley slower. That may be due to the weight I am constantly mocing around (1700kg) . However the torque seems to be better than that of Stilson's, Beej's and Red XS's. Probably being fully rebuilt and always ran on BP98 fuel.
The slightly lower gearing might have an effect on this too.

I suspect that it is the inherent shape of the torque curve of the earlier EJ-25 donks. It seems to me that Subaru went all out to make a huge improvement to the low down torque of the EJ-253.

I don't know, but I suspect that the default cam profile for low rev work would have been changed to provide more low rev torque, leaving the VVLT and second cam lobe on the other inlet valve to handle the high end of the rev range. At high revs (as determined by the ECU etc), the two rocker arms separate, with one inlet valve staying the same and the second being worked by a different cam lift and profile. This gives the engine an extended torque curve at both ends of its rev range.

If they hadn't fitted the VVLT, the EJ-253 would run out of torque at around the 4500 rpm mark (just an approximation/guess on my part).

Fitting tumbler valves to the inlet manifolds and a MAF sensor instead of the MAP sensor in earlier engines would also have benefited the low rev torque characteristics.

It sure makes the MY06 a very tractable car to drive.

Always remember that it's not just the maximum torque an engine develops, but the shape of that torque curve that determines how it will perform. Of course, the intermediate and overall gearing has to be factored into this equation.

The power (Kw) of an engine is all but irrelevant in the scheme of things. After all, my Foz has a theoretical top speed of around 220+ kmh, but is speed limited to around 198 kmh ... Not that I am ever likely to get within cooee of seeing how fast it will actually go!

BTW, I only ever use 91 RON in our cars. The particular EJ-25 you have fitted may have a requirement for higher octane fuel, however.

Fuel economy is average but I suspect that this is due to a number of sensors giving false readings. Slowly replacing one at a time and am gaining improvements.

Doesn't your system with the piggybacks allow you to check the sensors to see if any codes are being thrown?

Cheers

Bennie

Nope. It only changes the readings from the tps and map by 10% increase in the reading that goes to the ECU.
Just so more fuel is added at any given rpm or load.

Back