• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

EJ22 Swap into SF Foz Part 1

Hey NL,

I saw your beast of a Foz when i picked up my lift kit and i remember you saying you swapped the 2.2 in yours replacing the ej20.
After now reading your whole thread...Just wanted to know after having done the 2.2 swap, and driving with it for a few years now, would you recommend the 22?
Anything you would have done differently ?

Snapped my timing belt so weighing up my options when Bennie reminded me you did the 2.2 swap :idea:

Cheers mate

1WD

My swap seems to be down on power compared to there EJ22 swaps I've seen. That could be due to a clogged cat converter, small exhaust, failing O2 sensor or the fact that I'm still running the stock EJ20 ECU. Or more likely a combination of these.

The EJ22E is a brilliant engine, probably the most reliable engine Subaru has ever made, with heaps of torque & it's non-interference. If you do it I would look at doing a ECU swap as well.

Mine seems very healthy, I was even able to overtake an EJ251 swapped EJ202 Forester...but ok, his is heavier than mine with LPG kit and bigger wheels too.

My swap seems to be down on power compared to there EJ22 swaps I've seen. That could be due to a clogged cat converter, small exhaust, failing O2 sensor or the fact that I'm still running the stock EJ20 ECU. Or more likely a combination of these.

The EJ22E is a brilliant engine, probably the most reliable engine Subaru has ever made, with heaps of torque & it's non-interference. If you do it I would look at doing a ECU swap as well.

why you not swapped everything that comes with that EJ22 ? small and light imprezas are beasts with EJ22.

Mine seems very healthy, I was even able to overtake an EJ251 swapped EJ202 Forester...but ok, his is heavier than mine with LPG kit and bigger wheels too.

LPG kit weight goes mostly on extra tank but it can be empty and you can drive on petrol still so without spare tire but LPG tank in that place it shouldnt be more heavier. i dont think so. empty LPG tanks is lighter then ko2 wheel

why you not swapped everything that comes with that EJ22 ? small and light imprezas are beasts with EJ22.

yes that is the best way to do it. I had heard that the EJ22 runs on the EJ20 ECU, which it does, but I think not as well as the EJ22 ECU

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION] - did you end up using the ej251 intake manifold?

Just curious as I've always thought these had a different bolt pattern to the earlier EJ intake mount bolt pattern.

Cheers

Bennie

Ahh thats no good mate I hope you get to the bottom of it.
Would an EJ22E ecu be plug and play in your current setup?
If so can you just get one from the wreckers and pop it in?
Maybe its time for a new exhaust ??? :lildevil: :thumbsup:

Thats really comforting to hear your still as happy with the EJ22E so many years later, non interference seems to be the way to go, once i found out what it meant.... the hard way :lol:
I would definitely look into an ecu swap if its Plug and Play.

1WD

A
Would an EJ22E ecu be plug and play in your current setup?
I would definitely look into an ecu swap if its Plug and Play.
The wiring is different. I don't think it would be too hard to splice the EJ22E ECU into the EJ20J wiring loom if you have the wiring diagrams for both

The wiring is different. I don't think it would be too hard to splice the EJ22E ECU into the EJ20J wiring loom if you have the wiring diagrams for both

Moving it from engine bay to cab could be a bit of a challenge depending on how much movement/wiring there is before the factory ECU. I'd be concerned about "weather proofing" the wire splice work AndyT the plugs.

It would be cool to see if there is any difference in performance or anything missing from the older ECU to run such as extra purge control solenoids for emissions stuff. That could cause an issue.
[MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION] - I'm surprised you haven't welded up a larger exhaust yourself already! Last time I saw your foz (too long ago!) it still sounded like an ej20 from the factory :( Unleash some subi beat mate!!

Cheers

Bennie

Ahh ok i might give that a miss for now and run the Ej22E off the EJ20J loom and ECU best i can.
After you gave the EJ20J Ecu time to "learn"..... it worked for you right mate?

Moving it from engine bay to cab could be a bit of a challenge depending on how much movement/wiring there is before the factory ECU. I'd be concerned about "weather proofing" the wire splice work AndyT the plugs.
After NL informing me my EJ20J ecu... that sits in my engine bay is waterproof, the EJ22E ecu would really have to be worth it to undertake such detailed re-wiring plus re-waterproofing the donor ecu and connectors, but then i don't like wiring lol

would be cool to see if there is any difference in performance or anything missing from the older ECU to run such as extra purge control solenoids for emissions stuff. That could cause an issue.

Would be very interested to see what gains could be had.

[MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION] - I'm surprised you haven't welded up a larger exhaust yourself already! Last time I saw your foz (too long ago!) it still sounded like an ej20 from the factory :( Unleash some subi beat mate!!

Cheers

Bennie

I wonder if the standard EJ20J exhaust was any more restrictive than the standard EJ22E exhaust...... assuming NL has the EJ20J exhaust hooked up to the EJ22E exhaust manifold on his EJ22E donor engine?
Either way a bigger exhaust would do you wonders I would think, even better if you can make it yourself! :poke:

:rotfl:

1WD

After you gave the EJ20J Ecu time to "learn"..... it worked for you right mate?
It ran fine from 1st startup & did improve with time. I'll be interested how you find it

I wonder if the standard EJ20J exhaust was any more restrictive than the standard EJ22E exhaust...... assuming NL has the EJ20J exhaust hooked up to the EJ22E exhaust manifold on his EJ22E donor engine?

I used pretty much all my stock EJ20J ancilliaries, incl intake & exhaust manifolds. The EJ22E has exactly the same ports, bolt patterns, etc, so everything bolts right up

Make sure you read this thread thoroughly, as you need to swap the crank sprocket & sensor for the EJ20J ECU to be able to read it

It ran fine from 1st startup & did improve with time. I'll be interested how you find it

I used pretty much all my stock EJ20J ancilliaries, incl intake & exhaust manifolds. The EJ22E has exactly the same ports, bolt patterns, etc, so everything bolts right up

Make sure you read this thread thoroughly, as you need to swap the crank sprocket & sensor for the EJ20J ECU to be able to read it

Thats great to hear NL, Ill let you know for sure mate.
What sort of k's are you getting to a tank these days?

Ive been reading your 2 threads on EJ22 swap extensively over the last few days :rotfl:
Very grateful you made the time to upload pics and explain how you tackled this for others like myself to use later on, cheers mate.
And ill definitely remove the EJ20J crank sprocket and sensor and re-install it on the EJ22 while i have both engines out so i don't encounter any issues.

If your using the same dimension stock exhaust I would imagine it shouldn't feel like its lacking as such. Are any of the other EJ22 swap's your comparing your own with running stock exhaust?
Ill put my money on a new exhaust will satisfy your needs, if not maybe s/c??
:lildevil::thumbsup:

Cheers NL

1WD

The other EJ22E swaps I'm comparing to have been using a full EJ22E swap including intake manifold, ECU, etc & with a new high flow exhaust

Back