After The Forester Decisions and Comments.

No wukkas. There was also this...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kal...ux-ute-with-custom-slide-on-camper/1066748569

but it has no facilities like the other one. Not much available really in the smaller dual cabs and I would hazard a guess that it would be for the reasons discussed in this thread. I have no idea with an F250 the length of the vehicle how it affects approach angles, but if you drove one you would have some idea before investing a lot of $s in something. Just looking at what is available to buy and exists generally gives you some idea of whether what you are thinking is achievable or not. I really enjoy looking at what other people have set up and how their home away from homes function on the road.

Best regards,

Geez, S2

That camper on the back (and other extras, no doubt ... ) adds nearly 1,900 kgs to the tare weight.

I will bet that the vehicle isn't rated to carry anything like that weight ... :shrug:.

I just re-read the advert. The vehicle is rated to carry 965 Kgs, with a kerb weight of 1,815 kgs. It currently has a GVM of 4,600 Kgs! Just a tad over 2,780 Kgs, its rated GVM!!

Last edited:
RB that's what I mean about looking around... for that very reason. It's too late when you've invested a small gold mine if the weight isn't cricket. I suppose that's why we prefer to tow and spread the load, but everybody has their own reasons for setting their stuff up they way they do. I would have no clue what a V8 diesel F250 costs to run either...

Best regards,

somehow I find it hard to believe the "missus wants a hot shower and luxury sh!tter" excuse anymore lol.

^ Hey Lefty

The basic principle of "wife happy, everybody happy" applies (and/or kids ... ).

I don't know about the running costs or comfort of that 1996 F250 that S2 found either. But it had dual wheels at the rear, and was seriously well kitted out. Also, note the rear axle position ...

I don't think that an F250 would ever rate as a high speed touring car, but I suspect that it would be nearly indestructible, and has a design load of 2 tonnes in the tray ... Some diesel V8s are remarkably fuel efficient. Don't know how the F250 is though. Also 4x4.

Rigs like that can cost $150K+ new .... If it's in good nick, $40K is like stealing - always assuming that one has the $40K!

It would be RS as a daily driver around town, of course.

RB that's what I mean about looking around... for that very reason. It's too late when you've invested a small gold mine if the weight isn't cricket. I suppose that's why we prefer to tow and spread the load, but everybody has their own reasons for setting their stuff up they way they do.

Agree with all that, S2.

As I mentioned yesterday in my trailer build thread, getting a cubic metre (plus ... ) and 350 Kgs of stuff out of my car and onto a separate set of wheel bearings and its own suspension makes sense to me. Leaving aside the fact that I can easily erect the camper trailer tent, even when my back is sore enough to be wearing my soft back brace. I can also climb up into bed. No way can I easily get down to ground level, and even harder to get back up, specially if my back is giving me curry!

General consensus is GVM is the problem for a smaller twin cab ute of the BT50, Ranger, DMax, Hilux type.
They seem to do a good job though based on what I saw and my general lack of knowledge.

It's great looking at all the different set-ups others have. I like the way the camper part of that Hilux S2 posted can stand on it's own. Meaning you can leave your camp set up while going offroading in a lighter 4wd for the day.

But I agree that you need a larger ute to be carrying all that safely. Whether it's extended wheel base Landcruiser, F-truck or Iveco, depending on what sort of budget you have.

Should be less than that with Innovan: $90 base price + tray + Innovan

Geez, at those prices, that fully equipped F250 4x4 at $40K with camper and the dual rear wheels and all looks more and more like "Grand theft - auto" than just "stealing" ...

$s saved could go a long way towards the cost of fuel if she was a thirsty demon.... Even a new engine if you happened to have the misfortune of grabbing a crook one. Only fella I knew that had one of those swore by it and carried heavy loads over bad roads for many years before he updated. Don't know if the ride is ok or truck like, but I reckon dr google would answer that question!

Best regards,

Drooled over an Iveco slide on Camper conversion at the Adelaide Camping show yesterday.
Manufactured in Melbourne by Trailblazers RV.
Excellent job of conversion on a twin cab Iveco 4WD.
3 litre bi turbo 4 pot diesel, 6 speed manual with splitters on both high and low, diff locks front, rear and centre.
AND to keep all happy shower and toilet in an internal bathroom.
Considering what it was the price was reasonable, a mere $230k.
Better look for that shelf stacking job........

^yes, they are awesome; as you know I also like Earthcruiser and Traveltrucks versions

Back