• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Outback '01 2.5 4eat VDC project

So couple years ago i bought myself my first subaru ever and after long time thinking took outback against forester. Didint had budget for newer one so went for some 2nd gen that i found

Top original, lower 2"" lift with BFG TA KO2 215/65 R16
n5nmsdMh.jpg

It was 2001 subaru outback 2.5 4eat eith rear LSD and early VDC package. All weather with heated seats, windows, climate control.
It has rear self leveling shocks still ok condition so i left them just put 2" spacer on top. Not sure is it made car harder and less comfy but it can take load very well. But its not soft car to drive fast on bad roads
Then i cut front bumper and put steel skid plate just for engine. Diy it myself from steel sheet from scrapyard
abWmdRUh.jpg

I will if i find right one somewhere locally. For floor and sides. Would be nice to find light and strong same time. But metal so i could weld it on floor metal tubes. And then some wind deflector in front with couple extra lights.
And painting all black.
But with me wanting it to be light i guess i made it not hi lift carrying capable. I mean hi lift jack probably weights more then all roof rack and if i would bolt it on side it kinda scares me thou. I wouldnt feel secure about that i dea i guess. Or i could midify base flat platform to be capable of cary hi lift. I should search more about where people carry they hi lifts and how.

Last edited:
And how you mounting it there? With special brackets? They are very strong ? How you found them?

sdkLsnHl.jpg

On one section there front wheels dropped down and traction control took care of it. Not even one tire slippage. It would drive without traction control as well but would dig some dirt while doing it same time making track worse for next going.
Im saving not just nature driving on LPG but saving track as well thanks to traction control. GreenBaru

roof rack painted in black with some rust paint something. hope they will hold . now searching for some metal mesh to be strong and light, yet cant find any good for me . everything in those shops are for garden or for buildings. so they too soft or then too found something in other city so maybe i will drive there tomorrow to check. was looking in metal scrapyards , nothing there , or just small peaces not size that i need. 1x1.80m .and then some for sides.
thinking about if i will put extra led lights on it how i will connect them. i have second battery in trunk just for insurance, i would like to make some box for it or something. connect it to charge from alternator and then use it for all extra led lights and such. saw some good ideas in net. it started to rain now couple days so i just left roof rack to dry in garage.

looking for this style mesh but not too thick and heavy i dont need that at all . if its metal i would just weld on frame. if aluminum would just secure it with bolts. depends what i could find here. to drive far just for peace of mesh is just not worth it.
Powder-Coated-Aluminum-Expanded-Metal-Mesh-Car.png_350x350.png

as for leds on roof rack im thinking to make them kinda stealth. not so much visiable on normal roads just in case some police might not like it . not sure but they can be covered i guess. have couple ideas for that not sure if they could work yet but thinking about that wind deflector in front and maybe my leds could be covered with that or like part of that could cover led and then open led when i need. well something like that at least.
something like that maybe
5921147t-2_8.jpg

but with real covers for lights as well not just holes. im making all simple and cheap look for purpose ..well for not to attract too much attention as well. as my car lives on street and i dont see it at night via my window. so something that looks expensive would be bad.

didnt found mesh that i wanted so took mesh that ppl use in buildings. it was 50x200 peaces so i took 3 . and 2 peaces its about to cover that base platform of roof rack, which what i wanted . so its not bad.

vm5693Wl.jpg

and yes its enough space to still open sun roof
zUE5v33l.jpg

ZSeA3cZl.jpg

i could put some light stuff there sure. and heavy more down. still i never was packed full in trunk yet. this roof rack is just to see can i do it and when i will need it . i could use it . even with small firdge , tent , sleeping bags and other stuff for 2 people its enough space to put all that inside trunk.and when sleeping in car its still enough space on front seats to keep all bagage. but for spear tire or even hi lift that could be good place if i would need any .
tested that on 120 km/h and didint hear any more noise from it . but im sure it would affect my mpg. with just flat part on maybe would be better .
duno what im gonna think next, maybe try to make mounting for hi lift . my thought is to make it not so much outside for less swing from side to side and secure it maybe on couple larger bolts. its heavy thou as i see it need to be really properly secured on some good base so it wont get loose or brake something while on roof or worse brake car body or windows.

tested that on 120 km/h and didint hear any more noise from it . but im sure it would affect my mpg. .

My mesh roof tray makes a noise once i hit 80km/h. I never thought of it affecting mpg but i guess it would. Good point.

I welded my mesh on around every point that it touches frame and in middle. My mesh is from 2 peaces couldnt find one peace that fits me

was overnight near lake with my new roof rack , which was empty all time, because i dont have or need such many stuff , not for 2 people at least. but i tried to put sleeping bags and tent on roof to give it kinda purpose look haha

x4gBAY4l.jpg

sleeping in car this time not in tent. had air matress which i using in tent wasnt sure will it fit in car , but it did almost. just needed some air down so those sides can fold some to fit in. but when it fit then it was so comfy sleep on it. i even could go more high to car front so i could get more room for legs. was amazing
BxXTZUsl.jpg

this all led in morning to those views
Zyakjqjl.jpg

i thought if i will like red parts on roof rack ill keep it red. i think it looks ok im getting used to it. its something different from all those black roof rack i see on cars
GeuNqPwl.jpg

oMiy2hQl.jpg

LfGqDbJl.jpg

Last edited:
The red bits look good, keep them!

you'll end up melting your bumper with that exhaust.

Ask me how I know :)

could be but ill wait until that starts happen. what it needs to make there so hot ? driving long time on low gear at high revs or standing with engine idle in place ? tried those couple times already and nothing was melting there. but ill check that from time to time and see . then will change something to stop it happen.

roof rack was just painted one time . and not properly i guess. after rainy night rust started to show on places where was hard to paint. i guess i should sprayed it and not do it with brush .

that exhaust is not so close to bumper. maybe diff mufflers gives out diff temps. mine is not sport muffler for loud sound.
DR9noOwl.jpg

Last edited:
my cheap and simple way to power fridge when im not driving. no need dual battery system, lots sockets and switches. i just used cable that was with my 220v inverter and then some cheap 12v socket adapter, i cut them both and soldered together. so now when im driving i can use fridge from socket that is in trunk and when im not driving and away from car if i want my drinks stay cool there i can use my second battery on it.
XbvoXbwl.jpg

5rwj0Xfl.jpg

Its too short to make it as trip post but maybe i could make it separate as my all trips in one place.
2 days trip to lakes 3 persons. Yes its many lakes in large area.
aFDdWeRh.jpg

Jfytlddh.jpg

MgeHX2Kh.jpg

Last edited:
outback spits out dry dirt
vFdllowl.jpg

with VDC there front wheel did spin couple times then VDC kicked in it spin couple more times slower , found grip on other rear wheels and i drove forward.

Its nice and green where you live ! Do you go fishing ?

And that last pic has been taken at the same place where you tried VDC last winter in the snow, right ?

Back