tyres BFG vs YOKOhamas Vs Coopers

GTsurfer

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
XT Foz
Transmission
manual
Hi, looking for feedback and updates, new tyres for my 05XT, lifted 2",custom low range box, mainly for beach and gravel, odd mild bush track.

currently running 215/70/R16 on std XT rims

from what I have read in the past the Geolandar ATS G012 seem to be the most popular as a road/off road compromise $220ea

Other options are the new BFGoodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A K02, ALSO $220ea, anyone tried these, having a feeling they are not going to perform as well on road? (I do like the look of these:discomonkey:)

third option is COOPERS AT3 @$245ea

any other options worth considering I may have missed, cheers Brett

Also consider Bridgestone D697; not as aggressive as BFGs so good for sand. I get good reports from local club members who have run these and previous versions for many years. While the BFG AT is good I find over time with mine that the compound hardens and gets "interesting" in the wet - however, the KO2 version in AT may be different. I run the KO2 muddie on my Triton and am happy with them, wet or dry, but will probably switch to the D697 for the Foz next time I need tyres.

If I had to run an AT tyre (you know, someone points a gun at my head, or it will somehow save the world) then the 697 would be high on my list.

For beach you don't want anything to aggressive as they tend to dig holes much quicker when you get some wheel spin. I mostly do beach driving and IMO ideally you would have either a less aggressive AT or an aggressive HT. I like the Toyo Open Country HT's that I have on now, they offer more traction offroad then standard road tyres without digging holes too much in the soft stuff, however Toyo have stopped making these. My preferences for AT's in order would be Michelin Latitude Cross, General Grabber, Open Country AT, Bridgestone d697, Geolander ATS and I'd want to be getting paid to put anything else on as I know I will be doing a lot more digging.

dare I suggest standard road tyres ?

Standard road tyres are the most forgiving to wheel spin in sand and take a lot more to dig holes. Not quite as much traction for steep sand or on gravel but less bogging down. Everything is a compromise and comes down to what you want.

thanks for the responses, I am thinking more road tyres "aggressive HT" now, any preferences, it is rare I venture off the gravel (allow some of the gravel roads here can have sharp rocks) bulk is road and beach use

I have done tens of thousands of outback kilometres on not just normal road tyres, but high performance low profile road tyres and without even airing down. And I only got one puncture on those road tyres from a rock, and that was on an old tyre that probably fatigued. This notion that just because you go on on dirt means you must have AT's is wrong. Good road tyres are perfectly capable of delivering reliable performance on dirt with the added bonus of being far superior on sealed roads which is where almost everyone spends the vast majority of their time. Save buying a second set of tyres and rims and get a decent diff. Starting at the back and working your way forward.

I have had two sets of Geolander ATS and cannot recommend this old-design tire. I cannot stand its performance under heavy braking on road and cornering is sub-par as well. Its brand new replacement, the GO 15 is supposed to be much improved.

No such issues with my BFG TA KO2. Although they are very heavy as well as oversize, my Hawk HPS 5.0 pads bring them to a quick, convincing stop. That said, I would not run the KO2 as a daily tire.

If you go in lots of rocks, you will want tougher tires; ditto for driving aired down. Otherwise, ATs are not a necessity but I would still prefer them over street tires which in my experience get destroyed too easily by unpaved roads. I also prefer the handling provided by the AT tires I have had over the couple of street tires I have taken off pavement.

Basically, street tires won't cut it in the US Southwest, but that may be different where you are, as Rally's post suggests.

I have done tens of thousands of outback kilometres on not just normal road tyres, but high performance low profile road tyres and without even airing down. And I only got one puncture on those road tyres from a rock, and that was on an old tyre that probably fatigued. This notion that just because you go on on dirt means you must have AT's is wrong. Good road tyres are perfectly capable of delivering reliable performance on dirt with the added bonus of being far superior on sealed roads which is where almost everyone spends the vast majority of their time. Save buying a second set of tyres and rims and get a decent diff. Starting at the back and working your way forward.

Hi Rally, have you had experience with using road tyres on the sand, beach driving is my main use off road, deflating them, I go down to about 12 -14psi on the beach but only when soft, I assume a off road tyre is better designed for this loading (stronger sidewalls)

Toyo Open Country HT were the best and had 9.9mm of tred which is decent for a HT, but they stopped making them recently (at least in 215/65r16 size).
Toyo_OpenCountryHTTuffDuty_lg_super.jpg

Open Country UT and Versado both have a good tred pattern for sand and gravel, just not as much tred depth as the HT. Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons would also be worth considering. I also liked the look of the Michelin Latitude Cross, but they were a bit more of an AT. These were the only tyres I looked into before getting my last set.

Pirelli P7's came with the Forester when I got it, these were great in sand, but I couldn't keep up with a Falcon on AT's when it came to gravel roads which should have been Subaru territory. This is why I got an aggressive HT.

No, almost no experience of going on sand. Road tyres have stiffer sidewalls as they have to deal with greater cornering loads. I compared my road tyres to the Yokohama ATS and the road tyre sidewalls are much thicker.

I can vouch for using strong road tyres on sand. I have done a fair share of sand driving in the Strzelecki and Simpson deserts and tend to agree that the more aggressive tread patterns can sometimes dig in which stops the vehicle, and requires reversing back down the slope to get out of. A turbo can help in some instances but not always.

Subies work well when they can skim across the surface. On 100% sand I'd go for HT or a good road tyre but given that I do so many different surfaces I like the confidence an AT gives me on rocky gibber. I am running Grabber ATs in 215/65R16.

I've done a fair bit of sand driving with the Yoko's AT-S and they are great! Had them as low as 10psi on occasion and it always got me through....

I'm with Pezimm,
The Yoko ATS is a great sand tyre. I have done the Big Desert several times which is all sand driving, the Little Desert and the Border Track which is serious sand driving. Mud terrains tend to dig in. The Yoko also comes with a Road/off-road hazard warranty, which I have had a happy experience with. Just don't admit to airing down if you need to claim :)

I used that warranty. Many times. But it was no good when I was on a long trip since no one had one where I was, and I did not want to continue without a full compliment of tyres. Things is, it got to the stage that even with the warranty, I just got too many punctures. And Yokohama proved to be reluctant and difficult. Bob Jane T Marts had to really push my case, and thankfully succeeded.

Hi Rally, I already have diifs, cusco two way in rear and STI in front and custom low range box with 200kw rooster tails of sand and hard not to do on the beach.

I am thinking going HT-S, same size as running now 215/70/r16, anyone running a HT-S?

cant see any dramas airing down as tend to only do when its super soft

I am thinking MICHELIN Latitude Cross seem a good mix, thanks REd XS, has anyone tried the Achilles Desert Hawk A/T Tyres at $`135ea

Myself, Ratbag and possibly a few others have (or had) Michelin Energy XM2s and they are a damn good tyre. I was running them on my trip to Coongie Lakes which had a fair bit of sand dune (and rocky gibber) driving and are very robust. On sand, once I felt the slightest slippage I dropped them down to about 20 psi and they made my Subie defy gravity on steep sandy dunes. I would definitely trust the Latitude Cross.

I've even been tempted to sell the Grabbers while they are still new and go back to Michelins but the Grabbers just look so damn good.

Back