• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

So what's the deal with Forester diesels?

Tweaksta

Car Year
Transmission
5MT
With used 2010 Forester Diesels starting at around $13,000 (most with between 100,000 and 200,000km on them), they are beginning to look tempting as an upgrade.
With mainly DPF, blown hoses and oil dilution issues causing the majority of noise surrounding these models I wanted to know if now, about 7 years on, these issues are easily overcome?

Thorough and regular checking of turbo and intercooler hoses or replacing them with aftermarket items would seem like the obvious solution to the hose problem

The general consensus regarding DPF issues is that those who suffer clogged DPFs don't give it enough a***holes when driving....too much lugging, low speed usage of 6th gear and short drives being the main culprit....allegedly.

So, do the DPF problems still occur if you take long drives, rev it hard, tow trailers up long hills in low gears - ie: if you regularly subject the DPF to the required temps, has anyone still had to fork out the $3000 for a new DPF? Or is a good regular fang the magic solution to this issue?

As for oil dilution, changing the oil every 5000km should fix this.

So, with so many people trying to offload their 2010 Gen 1 Diesels due to these issues have we yet found a way to make them fully reliable? Or is the whole thing only affecting a few 'lemons', and the bulk of them are fine? And if so, can these lemons be fixed?

I cannot answer those questions, but think about a red hot turbo sitting down so low during water crossings

Foz Diesel

I have a 2010 Foz Premium. Purchase 2 years ago when it had 92k, now has 175k so I do a fair bit of driving in it. As I am in Tas it doesn't spend a lot of time on a freeway cruising in 6th. I am very happy with it. Only problem I had was 2 blown glow plugs which were expensive to replace but have been fine since. If these go it goes into a minor limp mode and disables the cruise and traction control of all things. I haven't had any dpf issues, I aggree that those who did were too focused on getting 6.5l/100k economy and hence not 'driving' the car hard enough to flush it out regularly. I am often towing and covering back roads so mine gets plenty of chance to burn itself off and still maintain good economy, usually in the 7.5-8 range. I am going to trial a dual range box in mine and if successful will fit a lift kit. Allready have 28 inch BFG AT's on it now without issues. For my money it is too tall geared. Starting in 1st on any type of steep hill is a clutch slip job. 6th is mostly useless unless on the flat without any head wind. I think a 5 speed DR box with a taller 5th out of an RS turbo could be the go.

Back