• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Tathra fishing.

It can all come to an abrupt halt very quickly. One minute having some fun with the mates...next minute dead.
I'm sure most of us have done some pretty stupid stuff over the years...we are males .....that's what we do. Doesn't bear thinking about sometimes!!

Just got back from a couple of hours fishing the banks. Just walking,no boat, and made a point of firing up the computer just to do this post.
What a fantastic day here at Tathra!!!:ebiggrin::raz::ebiggrin:!!!
About 25-26c..hardly any wind,beautifil blue/green ocean with crystal clear water and small NE swell pushing into the southern end of Tathra Beach,not many people around,serenity to burn....just FANTASTIC!!!
Any of you ORS member that haven't been here or are trying to think of a great place to spend a week or two with your family or mates or just for a bit of relaxation MUST put this spot on your list!!!
That's an order..right!!
Just don't come between mid December and the end of January. The place is packed. My suggestion is Nov to mid Dec and Feb to end of April.
What a beautiful place/area:ebiggrin::ebiggrin:. Scooby2 knows what i am talking about...bugger the Far North Coast and most of Qld. It's worth the effort!!

Sounds bloody fantastic, Silver.

I don't like the humidity up north.

Grew up in SE Qld. Lived there for the first 25 years of my life. Never acclimatised. A friend moved up to Caloundra about 18 months ago, and just loves it. However, even he finds the humidity oppressive. My brother still lives in Brissy. He doesn't even notice it ... Go figure??

Damp and cool here today. Lovely ... :iconwink: :ebiggrin: :biggrin:
We have weather in Melbourne. Most places have climate :rotfl:.

I got this today. I'm gradually getting up to the meter mark!! I know they all look the same ...but...i have to post...new record 82cm.

82cm...awesome. Did you release her? (all large flatties are females & the big ones like that can release several 100,000 eggs per spawn).

Yes you're getting closer to the magic metre mark, bet that one looked like a shark when you saw it :biggrin:

Well I made a bit of a leap towards the 1mtr mark...this one is 94cm...estimated weight...6.4kg (Off DPI website...'how to weigh a fish with a ruler')

Measured 21cm across the head. The lure would be 80mm to the tip of the jig head. Both my bigger ones I have caught on Zman 3" MinnowZ's.

Gidday Silver

That's a fine looking fish there, mate.

Hope you kissed it before it went into the frying pan ... :iconwink: :cool: :ebiggrin:.

I would not ever think of keeping a fish like this. Unfortunately it had the lure in it's mouth and there was a bit of blood but it swam off OK and hopefully it will recover.
I think of these as my pets and hate to hurt them. As they get bigger you can almost see the 'dinosaur' in them. Great critters.

I would not ever think of keeping a fish like this. Unfortunately it had the lure in it's mouth and there was a bit of blood but it swam off OK and hopefully it will recover.

As long as the blood isnt coming from the gills she should be fine. They're pretty tough, but gills are very sensitive & easily damaged.

I think of these as my pets and hate to hurt them. As they get bigger you can almost see the 'dinosaur' in them. Great critters.

they remind me of a shark as a big one comes in :lildevil:

That last one's a beauty alright :raz:

I'm sure it won't be long before you land one that's 100cm's silver :ebiggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Well I made a bit of a leap towards the 1mtr mark...this one is 94cm...estimated weight...6.4kg (Off DPI website...'how to weigh a fish with a ruler')

Measured 21cm across the head. The lure would be 80mm to the tip of the jig head. Both my bigger ones I have caught on Zman 3" MinnowZ's.

Merry Christmas!, what more could you wish for Silver.

P.S. Haven't rang you because I have been either partying or too shagged to do so, might have to put it off until after the festive season.

Bloody Santa!! I did ask for a meter one!! He can forget the cake and beer!!:ebiggrin:
Up in Sydney for the Xmas cheer:bananatoast:

There was a flattie that was reputed to be about 6 feet long resident in the Mooloola River in my youth. I saw a couple that were pretty big on one or two occasions.

On another occasion, I thought I saw the big one itself under the Mooloolaba Fish Board jetty, but quickly realised that it was a shovel-nosed shark ... I then miraculously teleported myself out of the water and onto the jetty!

While not common in the Maroochy and Mooloola Rivers, sharks have been sighted from time to time in both. I seem to recall a shark attack in the Maroochy River about 2-3 miles upriver from its mouth. A hammerhead and/or sawfish have also been seen at the Cod Hole in the Maroochy River. It has been a popular water skiing venue since my earliest childhood, and probably before that. I used to ski there for many years.

Just discovered that the sawfishes are a family of rays, not sharks. The sawsharks being quite different.
Isn't it amazing what one can learn while browsing on a car forum ... :).

However, I guess that rays and sharks are much more closely related to each other because of their common cartilaginous skeletons, than they are to us bony fish descendants with our bony skeletons!

Dont know where the "Cod Hole" in the Maroochy River is but its unlikely to be a hammerhead. Very few sharks can tolerate fresh or even brackish water. Bull sharks are fine even in totally fresh water & are infamous for attacks 1000s of kms up a river. Forget great whites or tigers, bull sharks are the most dangerous shark in the world, causing more deaths than all the others put together & way more injuries...

Back to giant flathead lol :iconwink:

It surely was a hammerhead.

Positive ID.

The river is still a tidal, salt water river there.

And just seeing as how it's Christmas, I chucked a few dollars at Wikipedia so that they can keep up their good work ... :poke: :).

Back