Code 26

NachaLuva

Product Developer
OK, so I joined the black connectors behind the dash ( & got 2 long, 6 short... code 26. The list of engine codes:
https://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/SubaruTroubleCodeDefinitions

says thats "26 Air Temperature Sensor". On another site it says thats for a Justy, but I dont have a Justy!!!
confused.gif

It would make sense the Air Temperature Sensor is on the fritz cos I have noticed a few times its idling faster than it should, suggesting the choke is on, plus its using too much fuel.

So where do I find this sensor? Do I just get a new one? Take it out & clean it?

What do you guys suggest?

Gidday NL

OK, so I joined the black connectors behind the dash ( & got 2 long, 6 short... code 26. The list of engine codes:
https://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/SubaruTroubleCodeDefinitions

says thats "26 Air Temperature Sensor". On another site it says thats for a Justy, but I dont have a Justy!!!
confused.gif

AFAIK, all ECUs since 1996 are OBDII compliant (whatever that means ... I have told you more than I know already ... :rotfl:). This means that most of the codes are the same, whether for a Ford, Suby or Justy (can't remember who made them ... CRAFT disease, maybe - just checked. Thought the name sounded familiar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Justy ).

It would make sense the Air Temperature Sensor is on the fritz cos I have noticed a few times its idling faster than it should, suggesting the choke is on, plus its using too much fuel.

So where do I find this sensor? Do I just get a new one? Take it out & clean it?

What do you guys suggest?

As to your question, I haven't got a clue! :iconwink:

The intake air temp sensor is in the front of the air cleaner filter housing (on an MY'03 anyway). Take it out and give it a clean, reinsert it and make sure its connector is pushed home.

Gidday NL

AFAIK, all ECUs since 1996 are OBDII compliant (whatever that means ... I have told you more than I know already ... :rotfl:). This means that most of the codes are the same, whether for a Ford, Suby or Justy (can't remember who made them ... CRAFT disease, maybe - just checked. Thought the name sounded familiar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Justy ).

As to your question, I haven't got a clue! :iconwink:

Thats in the US. In Aus is didn't change until 2006 or 2007. So some are are OBD II and some are OBD I.

My 2001 Foz is OBD I and my mates 2003 Outback is OBD I aswell. When another work mates 2004 Jeep Wrangler is OBD II but thats american.

The intake air temp sensor is in the front of the air cleaner filter housing (on an MY'03 anyway). Take it out and give it a clean, reinsert it and make sure its connector is pushed home.

+1 Same on my 01.

Does anyone know what the air temp sensor's resistance is meant to be?

Also, how do I read my multimeter? Its been a while lol :lol:

On the 20k ohm setting, it reads 1.78 at room temperature. After I've been warming it in my hand for a few minutes, it reads 1.52.

So is that 17,800 ohms & 15,200 ohms? Is that what it should be?

Last edited:
OK I cleaned the terminals thoroughly, then put it back in. double checked the terminals were plugged together fully.

Then warmed up the engine & reset the codes...or at least tried to but it wont reset! :confused:

What do I do now?

Gidday NL

OK I cleaned the terminals thoroughly, then put it back in. double checked the terminals were plugged together fully.

Then warmed up the engine & reset the codes...or at least tried to but it wont reset! :confused:

What do I do now?

AFAIK (dangerous territory ... :lol: ), you need to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

AFAIK (dangerous territory ... :lol: ), you need to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

If you dont have the proper reader, then the best method is:
With engine warm & ignition off, connect the 2 black plugs & the 2 green plugs under the dash.
Turn ignition on, engine off, floor throttle & hold for couple seconds then release.
Start the engine & drive above 10kmh until engine warning light flashes on/off in "no code pattern" (about 1min).
Stop, turn engine off, ignition off & disconnect plugs.
Done...unless there is a current fault...

I keep having the check engine come on randomly. Mainly when I drive slow and as soon as I give it a little rev it goes out...

I should check the code, I'm thinking just a dirty connection.....

Back