Mathew

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
Hi Everyone,

I am going to head up to Fraser in a few weeks and thought I would get some advice on how to get through Inskip (or any soft sand entry/exit points) when loaded up with a bit of gear.

I have driven through Inskip before (in a diesel manual hilux) so have sand experience.

The question I do have is Subaru related, and what I should do to prepare for this section of sand.

My car is a 2004 Forester X Auto and am just wondering what gear (1,2,3,D) I should use to drive through the soft stuff at the entry/exits and hints or tips you might have? I have had a read of the manual but thought it would be better to get some real advice on how to use the gear box better from members that have done it before.

I have also read through the following but could not find too much information on Auto gear selection questions

https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=2116&highlight

This will be the first time I head up there in the Forester, and thought I should go prepared as not wanting to feature on the famous youtube channel featuring Inskip!

Cheers

Hi Matthew,

I have some experience with beach driving and soft sand but not at Inskip. My Forester is an SH but it's a 4 speed auto like yours.

You will find the Forester is better on sand that heavier vehicles you may be used to. I find a few things important:
1. Reduce tyre pressure to 18 psi and be prepared to lower that to as little as 12 if required.
2. Lock it into low.
3. Allow plenty of room between you and the vehicle you are following so you can maintain momentum.
4. If you start to dig in, stop and back up for another run at it before you belly out.
5. Avoid running in deep wheel tracks left by other vehicles unless you have a lifted Foz as ground clearance can be an issue on well-used tracks.

At Inskip you need to avoid getting too close to the water's edge so I am told as the edge tends to fall into the ocean at times. :rotfl:

Have a great time.

It would help if we knew what tyres, lift etc you have

If it's a regular day, I would air down to 16psi max. If it's hot or the sand is softer than usual or has been chopped by by all the 4wds getting stuck, drop to 12psi.

Subarus have high revving engines with not much power below about 3000rpm. I strongly suggest putting it in first & keeping up your momentum. At 4-5000 rpm you should do it easy. If you let the revs drop down to 3000 or less, you might bog down depending on conditions.

Basically, Subarus need to be driven the opposite to a 4wd, esp a diesel 4wd. Give it some herbs!

And make a video so we all see if you did it right ! Good luck !

You could always get out and inspect the cutting on foot first to plan your path?

Thanks for all the replies!

I have got a set of newish Bridgestone Ecopia EP300 (was going to sell the Forester and needed new tyres as I was about to buy a Prado before I found this site). Am still looking into what is the best set up (not too interested in keeping a tyre up top of the car so still looking at what would best suit my driving interests).

Couple of weeks away from getting my 2inch lift sent to me (thanks NachaLuva) and have already got my sump guard from down Goulburn.

Should I be playing around with the Hold/Power button or as you said just give myself plenty of space and give it some?!

Will see if my wife is up to getting out the car and taking a video. I can just imagine her asking "why?" haha.

I usually leave the Power Button on. Keep your revs up and you'll be good. At 75% throttle in auto 1st or 2nd gear the duty solenoid will engage to lock things up and that will give you the best traction.

And remember - Subies love sand! ;-)

You could always get out and inspect the cutting on foot first to plan your path?

Always a good idea :thumbsup:

And remember - Subies love sand! ;-)

Hell yeah!! :lildevil:

I have got a set of newish Bridgestone Ecopia EP300

They'll be fine on sand. Road tyres actually bag out more when aired down

Couple of weeks away from getting my 2inch lift sent to me (thanks NachaLuva) and have already got my sump guard from down Goulburn.

Sounds good!!

I agree with Nachaluva re the tyres. Before I fitted AT tyres to mine I did quite a bit of soft sand driving on Bribie Island on Michelin road tyres and they were great. Just a note of caution though: if you reduce tyre pressure below 18 and plan on a long drive on the hard sand, keep the speed down or reinflate the tyres to avoid overheating of the tyre carcass. You would also be wise not to try sudden, large steering inputs as you will increase the risk of rolling a tyre off the rim at low pressures.

Hi,

Thanks for all the great feedback. Think I am all good to go now and give it a good run! Before I head up to Fraser I'm heading down to Coffs to give all your advice a go. A little bit easier down there to try out all your advice than hitting inskip with no practice!

Good advice on inflating my tyres back up again!

Will let you know how it all goes!

Cheers

Back