OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Supporting Vendors > Bridgestone

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Unread 24th July 2018, 06:00 AM
Bridgestone Bridgestone is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: sydney
Year: 1998
Model: Legacy RS
Transmission: Manual
Posts: 145
Bridgestone is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Compared to the LT construction or the normal construction?
Hi Rally,

Compared to the LT construction. If compared to other road going tyres such as the Turanza, the RE003 is stiffer.

Kind Regards,
The Bridgestone Team
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Unread 4th October 2018, 12:43 AM
ateday ateday is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Happy Valley (not the loony bin)
Year: 2002
Model: MY03 Forester
Transmission: 5 sp manual
Posts: 618
ateday is on a distinguished road
Default

Some months ago I posted considering replacing the standard tyres on my Swift motorhome, aka "Palace on Wheels", so as to improve a ridiculously optimistic and misleading speedo, as well as the obvious requirement for new rubber.

This I did utilising 225X75X15 Dueler 697`s instead of the standard 215X70X15 tyres. The only obvious potential problem may be that of running pressures. Being a weighty vehicle the motorhome tyres run at 5/5.5 bar. The maximum allowable for the 697`s is 55 psi or about 3.5/4 bar even though they do have more than sufficient load carrying rating. The tyres look good at 55 psi and do not bag excessively and are always cool to touch after any distance run so I do not think I will have problems. There seems little performance difference and there is a noticeable indicated gain in KPH/1000RPM as would be expected. The van starts easily in either 1st or 2nd gear, as prior to the tyre change, with no noticeable change in fuel consumption or road noise levels.

I think I shall benefit by having a speedo I can trust, important, and gain a tad of traction from the extra size tyre which can only benefit the FWD van.

Must be about the first true win-win situation ever but time will tell.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Unread 4th October 2018, 07:29 AM
Beachworm Beachworm is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brisbane Australia
Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Posts: 262
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgestone View Post
Hi Rally,

Compared to the LT construction. If compared to other road going tyres such as the Turanza, the RE003 is stiffer.

Kind Regards,
The Bridgestone Team
I've been looking to find the treadwear rating for the 003. Can you please tell me what it is?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Unread 11th October 2018, 07:59 AM
Bridgestone Bridgestone is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: sydney
Year: 1998
Model: Legacy RS
Transmission: Manual
Posts: 145
Bridgestone is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
I've been looking to find the treadwear rating for the 003. Can you please tell me what it is?
The Uniform Tyre Quality Grading System (UTQGS) is an American Federal Government requirement under the US Department of Transport where all tyres manufactured and sold in the USA must be graded with this specific marking.

Treadwear grades are a comparative rating based on the wear rate of the tyre when tested under controlled conditions on a specified government test course to 9,600km

Many of the tyres sold in Australia have the UTQGS ratings however as Australian road conditions are very different to those in the USA it is not a reference tool that Bridgestone Australia makes use of.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Unread 11th October 2018, 09:18 AM
Beachworm Beachworm is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brisbane Australia
Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Posts: 262
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default

What a pity - though road conditions are different, the fact that the ratings are produced under controlled conditions makes it possible to compare different tyres, in much the same way cars can be compared as to fuel efficiency by theoretical parameters being applied. Real world conditions are irrelevant unless you need to know the actual real world performance of the car/tyre. For the purposes of comparison, this is not necessary.

Bridgestone should consider that prospective customers in Australia would like to have some idea how long their new tyres will last by some means other than purchasing them only to find that they wear out in an unacceptably short time.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Unread 11th October 2018, 12:46 PM
Rally's Avatar
Rally Rally is online now
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sydney
Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Posts: 3,766
Rally is on a distinguished road
Default

They really aren’t worth worrying about. Reading between the lines, because to actually say it might cause complications in the US, I think they are saying it’s all meaningless rubbish
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Unread 11th October 2018, 07:38 PM
Beachworm Beachworm is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brisbane Australia
Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Posts: 262
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
They really arenít worth worrying about. Reading between the lines, because to actually say it might cause complications in the US, I think they are saying itís all meaningless rubbish
I disagree.

The tread wear rating is determined using set criteria. This gives a solid basis for comparison regardless of what the real world throws at the tyre. A tyre with a rating of 600 is likely to last longer than one with a rating of 300 as long as they are used under the same conditions.

I can't help being suspicious of a manufacturer that withholds this information. It makes me think they are trying to hide something from consumers or at least avoid valid comparisons being made prior to purchase.

Most other tyre manufacturers put the number on their Australian stock. Why would Bridgestone go to the trouble of removing it when it's compulsory in the USA anyway? I would have thought it easier to leave it on.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Unread 12th October 2018, 01:29 AM
Rally's Avatar
Rally Rally is online now
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sydney
Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Posts: 3,766
Rally is on a distinguished road
Default

If they’re as accurate as the fuel economy labels it’s probably no bad thing. All else being equal, the less a tyre wears the less grip it has. I don’t think it’s a good idea to promote a tyre having less grip
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Unread 12th October 2018, 02:08 AM
Beachworm Beachworm is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brisbane Australia
Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Posts: 262
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
If theyíre as accurate as the fuel economy labels itís probably no bad thing. All else being equal, the less a tyre wears the less grip it has. I donít think itís a good idea to promote a tyre having less grip
Like everything else in life, selecting the right tyre for the job is a matter of compromise but just because a tyre has good tread life doesn't mean it has to have poor grip. A soft tyre can still be resilient, depending on the tread compound. The latest silica compunds are great.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Unread 12th October 2018, 12:05 PM
MiddleAgeSubie MiddleAgeSubie is online now
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: AZ
Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
Posts: 861
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
I disagree.

A tyre with a rating of 600 is likely to last longer than one with a rating of 300 as long as they are used under the same conditions.
Kind of, in a very broad sense, yes, 600+ tires will last longer than tires rated under 500. As far as I know, however, the system does not work how you understood it. It is a very American thing, not a national standard like in Europe or Australia, but a requirement enforced autonomously by each manufacturer. So, a Bridgestone tire rated 600 should absolutely last longer than one rated 500, under identical circumstances. However, what Toyo calls 600 may be different and therefore a Toyo 600 tire may not be the direct equivalent of a Bridgestone 600 tire.

In addition, LT tires typically do not have these ratings; they only apply to P-metric tires.

Then, again, yes, the first, three-digit number is broadly indicative of expected treadlife, even if comparing across brands and assuming similar use. Our Nitto 420S on the Tribeca are rated 420 with 40,000 mile warranty. As the car is driven on road only, it looks like that's about exactly what we would get if driving to the last 2/32nds, which we won't. These are performance tires, a little rough ride and short-lived. My P-metric Falken Wildpeak on the 4Runner are 660 with 55,000 mile warranty. However, they will only last about 25,000 miles in my use because off-road mileage absolutely obliterates treadlife, at least here in the US Southwest. I noticed better wear in Montana where we spent 1 month and 600 dirt miles in summer.
__________________
18 4R TRDOP, 08 Tribeca
(13H6OB 2" SLOz, 06 B9)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.