Am going to stop smoking.

Going pretty well. No dramas, no side effects AND...... NO CIGGIES for 9 days!!!:monkeydance::discomonkey::ebiggrin:. This is my 10th day. Really is quite miracle stuff. I'm super impressed with Champix.

That's fantastic news, Silver :biggrin: :ebiggrin:.

Just remember, you can never have another one ... If you do, you will find that you are instantly back to the point where you had never given up at all. The neural receptors that cause us to be addicted to thousands of chemicals in cigarette smoke stay in the synapses in our brains until the day we die ... :(.

After 32 years, I still consider myself a non-smoking cigarette addict ... :puke:.

Going pretty well. No dramas, no side effects AND...... NO CIGGIES for 9 days!!!:monkeydance::discomonkey::ebiggrin:. This is my 10th day. Really is quite miracle stuff. I'm super impressed with Champix.

Woohoo! :woohoo::newmulti:

As RB said, even in 1yr or 10yrs time, dont let temptation beat you for "just one", the receptors are there forever.

Good onya mate...well done! :monkeydance:

That's what happened about 10 years ago. On the turps.....I'm cool...one ciggie won't hurt......I can handle it.......next day I was smoking again.
As time goes on I should get stronger. I don't want to ever smoke again!!!

As RB said, even in 1yr or 10yrs time, dont let temptation beat you for "just one", the receptors are there forever.

A good mate of mine once said: No thanks, I'm giving up.
But what really stuck in my mind was his next few words, which are so very true.
"I can't mate, cause I'm just one puff away from a pack a day"

As time goes on I should get stronger. I don't want to ever smoke again!!!
And stronger you will get.

Once again keep up the good, correction, GREAT WORK !!!!

Regards
Mr Turbo

In a couple of days I reach 2 months with no smokes. Bit of a dream really. It has been so easy I just can't believe it.
Occasionally, maybe every 2 or 3 days, I get a sudden feeling I would like a smoke but it soon passes.
I am still having a lot of trouble getting a good nights sleep but that's OK. I've cut the night dose to 1/2 a tablet and try to take it earlier and it helps a bit. I have one months supply left by the prescription dose but it will last longer than that. In about 2 weeks I will cut the daytime dose by half and see how I go. I intend to ween myself off them over about 4 weeks. That would be 4 months of medication and then on my own!!
I'm back doing some running/jogging on the bush trails in Bournda National Park...lots of steps and up and down stuff and really enjoying it. I'm up to 10klms with an aim of 20klms in about 6 months. It takes a lot longer to work up the stamina when the years advance!:ebiggrin:

Gidday Silver

Well done, mate :) :ebiggrin: :biggrin: :Bacon: :bananapartyhat:.

The danger period is at the 6-12 month time IME.

Great that you are getting fit too. I have lost over 6 Kgs in the last 6 months, which is all to the good. I need to get fitter, but cannot run ...

As for the sleeping tablets, I agree about weaning yourself off them very gradually. I take a medication to help me to sleep (Clonazepam), and I can't even reduce the dose (minute amount anyway, it's an anti-epileptic drug usually). I am dependent on it to sleep. Many years ago now, I had to increase the dose to counteract the effects of another drug I had to take (on medical advice, of course). I no longer take the second drug. I tried for about 3-4 months to cut back the small dose I take, and all it did was leave me seriously sleep deprived! Oh well, an adult epileptic takes about 16x the dose I take, but I am very wary of this drug!!

If I have trouble sleeping (which I perennially do - have had for 50+ years), I take other drugs to address the specific issue that is causing me not to sleep worth a damn. Increasing the dose of Clonazepam will put me out like a light, but the danger of becoming dependent on the higher dose makes me extremely wary about doing this.

^ I'm sure he means Champix, not sleeping tablets RB

Very good news Silver!

You're probably right there, Kevin.

Same principles apply, however :iconwink:.
Many medications require gradual withdrawal - corticosteroids are an outstanding example. Sudden withdrawal of these latter can cause irreversible damage leading to death.

Yes, I did mean Champix. I am not sure if it is these that stop me sleeping properly or not but I don't sleep like I used to. Toss and turn a lot but the exercise does help a bit.
Rest assured !!! I have no intention of ever smoking again!! I have just put a new whoopdeedo mattress on layby and I will pick up a new pair of trail running shoes when I am in Sydney to see the Opera House and Harbour get lit up when Vivid hits town next month.
The money I save from no smoking will be put to good use!!:ebiggrin:

Been off the Champix for a couple of weeks. All good. Easy as!!! My running is going well and now can do 15klms of easy to medium easy run and 11 klms of med run.
Getting better and I reckon I will be able to do the run up in the mountains in Feb. That's my aim...1/2 marathon trail run.
I'm in Sydney at the moment and yesterday got a new pair of Asics Trabuco 2 trail shoes.
All good:):ebiggrin:

This is excellent silver, keep it going!!!

I got back on my bike this year after taking a year off, and in just a few rides to get my legs back, my lungs took almost no recovery time. (I've been quit for about three years now) It's nice not to struggle with something, even after a good break.:ebiggrin:

Back