Steering wheel wobbling with GO15

Kaan

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
EDM H6 Outback
Transmission
5AT
I recently got my axles changed, steering system re-valved, got the tires balanced afterwards, for some reason they were wildly unbalanced, like 125 to 75 on one tire, after the balancing, things seemed good (that one tire was re-slided)

But after driving a bit, I feel like the wobbling is returning, at 90km/h, while cruising, there's some wobbling on the steering wheel

I'll likely get the balances checked again out of curiosity

Any ideas at this stage? I'm afraid It might be a chronic issue with the tires, I also suspect it could've happened because I got the car painted, I was afraid the heat could mess up the tires, might've happened

But as far as I read, getting/keeping offroad tires balanced is a challenge anyway // Any similar experiences?

Its most probably the tires, some are very difficult to balance, or maybe a wheel...try to swap them front/rear

I don't think that bodywork paint oven can overheat the tires.

But as far as I read, getting/keeping offroad tires balanced is a challenge anyway // Any similar experiences?

Some cheap AT tyres might be hard to balance but not Geolanders, I've never heard of anyone having having trouble balancing them. Muddies are more difficult to balance but still not bad.

What wheels are you running? Sounds like one might be bent

A chronic issue with this tire is out of the question. It has great reputation already. If you had really tougher tires, like my KO2 or MTs, then you could see a bit of a permanent vibration at higher speeds, but the Go15 is a milder, even though not among the mildest ATs.

Pretty much replaced every suspension part, went to get the balances checked again today, the right side wheels kept their balances perfectly, they were 0/0, the left sides were slightly off, but not enough to warrant an imbalance related issue

On one tire (the left/front one, where the issue is), the balancer commented that it might not be centering the road properly, indeed the right side tires were perfect, and both the left side tires had some surface imperfections (surface imperfections, as in, they can get balanced, but the surface itself is defective, how/why? I have no idea)

Anyway, we re-balanced the tires, and swapped the fronts/lefts, to see whether the issue would go away, it didn't, by the way, the wheels are Method MR-502's

At this point, I'm going to try a completely different set of wheels, to completely eliminate wheels/tires out of the equation

It's a very puzzling issue, and even though I have complete confidence in both my mechanic and the balancer, they couldn't pinpoint what the issue could be, going to dive deeper with the mechanic at a lengthy time - I'm also thinking of just giving up and using the car in a brute manner, in hindsight, that's what I should've done instead of spending so much on the car, it would make an awesome offroad car without all the investments :)

Could it be a wheel spindle/hub ? I had a similar problem after I started taking my Forester on difficult trails and/or when I hit the front right wheel laterally against a pavement/sidewalk while it was snowing. Can't say which bent the spindle/hub !

Lift the Subaru on stands with the wheels and look if the rims wobble. Then rotate the wheels to see if its allways the same rim that wobbles or the same corner like for example front left.

Last edited:
Back