L series vs 2000+ outback

raynman1989

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L series
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering what people think is better for light to medium off roaring usually on sand.

I've currently got a 5spd l series with an ej22 which will soon have a 2" lift kit and 26" M/Ts but i was thinking of selling it and buying a newer outback. Obviously the outback would be a much nicer car in general but how would it compare off road and on road with a 2"lift and bigger tires like my l series?

There's 2 main reasons I want to sell the l
1, rust. It's got a bit and it'll only get worse
2, not engineered for the ej22

What are people's thoughts?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've already answered your own question...

Both would be as good as each other on sand. But remember the outback won't have the good low range in it.

Rust can be sorted if you're dedicated/keep on top of it.

2 inch lift and some larger tyre on the outback would probably net you a nicer ride with just as much capability as the L on sand.

Cheers

Bennie

I've heard the 4wd in the l series is better and that it's difficult to lift the rear end of outbacks?

NACHALUVA is very good a lifting rear ends :iconwink:

The multi link rear end is "tricker" but really is no different to lifting an L series - lift blocks between body and subframes. This only applies to Gen3 onwards.

Define better in your sentence about the 4wd! They have the good low range and engaged centre for a locked front to rear coupling. What they also come with is small tyres and small brakes with an underpowered engine. These can be modified or purchased already done in the outback. Then trick out minor things. Big one could be a custom box if you really wanted to get the best out of your subi. This area is always overlooked IMO.

Cheers

Bennie

Back