clarkenfoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
Hi guys and girls,
I've had my sf na for about 4 months now. Since the day I first drove it the only thing I haven't been a fan of was the lack of grunt. Every morning it would just kinda pulsate up to speed and never was game to overtake or anything. Being used to much larger cars I figured it was just my being used to a lot more power.
The check engine light would flicker when taking my foot off the pedal going downhill but flicking through forums I put it down as a common annoyance more than anything else.

About 2 weeks ago I seemed to intermediatedly drop a cylinder - I struggled going uphill at all and it kept getting more frequent but due to moving house I haven't had time to check anything.
Today I decided to check the plugs - not wanting to spend $$$ on platinums if not needed I grabbed a set of NGK BKR6E-11 just in case one was dead and went to work...

I found both rear plugs rooted - #3 I could get a little flash from but #4 nothing at all.

I replaced them all with the NGKs and I swear it's like I've got a different car entirely, it accelerates uphill, it actually now sounds like a flat 4, no cel flickers, it takes off from the lights without hesitating at all all which it never did before - I'm actually wondering if since the day I bought it only 3 cylinders were actually firing and what I noticed recently was the 2nd plug failing? I'm doing a 300km round trip tomorrow and looking forward to seeing what my fuel consumption will be like (averaging 13L/100km up to now)

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Also has anyone had a problem with using standard plugs compared to the fancy metal variety?

Cheers, Josh

Same here,

about 2 years ago replaced the spark plug with standard NGK but always felt the car lacked power.

There was a sale on eBay couples of months ago and decided to purchase the recommended NGK PFR5B-11 and replaced it recently - feel like driving a different car now - particular with good fuel filled!

My standard practice whenever buying a new car- which is not often- of giving the car a birthday. That means everything from plugs, hoses and fluids through to timing belt, water pump, tensioners and pulleys. By doing the above you have a start line for a future maintenance schedule as clearly there has not one been in place for a long time. The fact that the plugs were in such condition raises a more serious question. How bad is the timing belt and how bad is the oil pick up in the sump? While the state of the engine performance should have been picked up at a proper pre purchase inspection, the state of things like timing belt and oil condition should be done as a matter of urgency. I certainly would not want to be going on holidays in this car until the vehicle's true condition is ascertained, and where necessary, fixed.

Same here,

about 2 years ago replaced the spark plug with standard NGK but always felt the car lacked power.

There was a sale on eBay couples of months ago and decided to purchase the recommended NGK PFR5B-11 and replaced it recently - feel like driving a different car now - particular with good fuel filled!

Did you gap both sets of plugs before installation?

All platinum's do is bleed your wallet and let you run a very long plug replacement interval.

If its an old car (SF) - I'd be replacing the plug leads, too.

My standard practice whenever buying a new car- which is not often- of giving the car a birthday. That means everything from plugs, hoses and fluids through to timing belt, water pump, tensioners and pulleys. By doing the above you have a start line for a future maintenance schedule as clearly there has not one been in place for a long time. The fact that the plugs were in such condition raises a more serious question. How bad is the timing belt and how bad is the oil pick up in the sump? While the state of the engine performance should have been picked up at a proper pre purchase inspection, the state of things like timing belt and oil condition should be done as a matter of urgency. I certainly would not want to be going on holidays in this car until the vehicle's true condition is ascertained, and where necessary, fixed.

Yeah normally do the same except this time around it was "fully serviced" upon purchase - i saw new leads and filters and stupidly assumed that being told it has had the plugs replaced must have been true... as for rest of it the car has reciepts for every single part thats gone into it since 2004 and water pump etc was done 50k ago so i havent done it yet but already organised water pump, timing kit etc. for next service.

Pre purchase inspection was through racv but not surprised it missed items...

Well I did say proper pre-purchase inspection. That is disgraceful it was not picked up.

Back