• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

OEM Subaru trailer wiring

I know the loom had a reverse wire, because mine is hooked up that just on the factory plug and has reverse. Good to see you found it all in the end

What really, really gives me the screaming irrits, Id, is the lengths to which the people who fitted this went to disguise the fact that while the car end of the trailer's electrical connector looked fine, the reversing lights were never connected at the car's wiring loom end: see my post here as to my thoughts on this deceitful and misleading (fraudulent?) conduct.

I am currently fitting the armoured corrugated cable cover to the trailer's wiring.

^ Done.

What a mongrel of a job, made much harder by the 1990s square box welded on to the new ladder frame for this purpose. The trailer could probably be lifted off the ground using just one of these, but they all have a minimal, rectangular gap for the cable to pass through.

Required a lot of brute force. Also cutting the split armour sheathing into about 4-5 lengths, then wrapping these with insulating tape once the job was finished.

The sheathing runs all the way to the back of the connector, and is taped onto the connector. Used heavy cable ties to attach it to the draw bar.

I still have the "T" at the back to do, but will leave this until I have fitted and wired the reversing lights.

At least all the lights still work ... :poke: :biggrin:.

Well, I didn't finish off this thread, but I did finish armoring the trailer wiring, and tied it all together on both the car and trailer sides.

Fitted the trailer reversing lights.

Moved the number plate light and re-hung the number plate carrier so that the light doesn't hit the trailer frame if the plate swings all the way up.

Worst that can happen is I will rip the number plate light off if I have to reverse vigorously.

thread dig. But thanks for the pic of the brown/yellow wire. Just what I need for the reverse camera install

After peeling off some more redundant insulation tape off the trailer socket loom extension, I have discovered that the part is identified as being for "Liberty/Impreza 02/03".

Photos:

Part:

Melbourne-20141028-00231_Er.jpg

Break-out connector and wire colour coding. I have used a piece of black for the tail to the trailer loom, as this is the correct colour coding for reversing lights at the trailer electrical connection socket.

Melbourne-20141028-00232_Er.jpg

Melbourne-20141028-00233_Er.jpg

I have checked that I have 12V at the end of the tail, and that the P/S and D/S reversing lights still work ... :iconwink: :raz:. All :cool:.

Now all I have to do is solder the new tail from the break-out connector to the black wire going to the tow bar socket, then re-apply heat-shrink and insulation tape as required.

Back