A general photography chat thread ...

^ Gidday Oscar

Try using the largest JPEG that your camera allows (along with the RAW, of course). I used to do as you do, and only take a 1024 x 768 JPEG along with the RAW. I changed this about 5 years ago, or more.

This strategy has a couple of benefits:

1) It gives you better quality images for quick review using FastStone Viewer (or whatever);

2) Think of it as a backup copy of the RAW if something goes wrong with your memory card or computer. Better to have a decent JPEG than no image at all!

Also, use the widest gamut colour space your camera allows. aRGB is infinitely preferable to sRGB for all sorts of reasons, the biggest of which is that sRGB is very deficient in the green part of the spectrum, and we live on a "green" planet ...

The colour space used in camera for the JPEGs has no effect whatsoever on the RAW file. A RAW file has no colour space and no white balance until you assign both in post-processing.

Your camera can shoot 14 bit RAW files, but the consensus appears to be that this is marketing fluff more than anything with current sensor technology. It merely creates bigger files with "extra detail" in areas of the image where it is irrelevant, and noisy. Try using 12 bit/14 bit for some test shots to see what I mean.

Laptop screens ... My dear old laptop improved dramatically when I calibrated it some years ago (and keep re-calibrating it every month), but I wouldn't dare do any serious editing using it. I have yet to see a laptop that has a really good screen, although some are now using IPS panels.

A good IPS screen uses HDMI input, and HDMI allows the graphics card to output high bit data to the screen (16 bit, rather than 8 bit). You need to look for one that gives close to 100% of the aRGB colour space, in 16 bit mode.

Not much point in dropping $5-10,000 on camera/s and lenses if you are viewing the results on a second or third rate screen. Ditto for your printer and papers.

My current camera gear and associated computer stuff cost more than Roo2 did! And I get the results I want from it - at all stages.

Anyone still playing with 35mm film?
Got to get back out sometime soon to do a few more rolls.

Stuff that has ongoing costs with it lol...
Just trying to upload some to my ors album.... slow phone lol

21PG8Rg
Well that failed...

Last edited:
^ yeah, it's getting the film threaded into the sprockets in the modem/router that's the tricky bit :lol:.

Say the word if I can be of any help :).

I reckon it is boasting time. How about we list our photo gear, then ***** and moan that the other member bought the wrong brand :)

Besides using for shooting the day, most use for landscape photogs is when shooting with water, aka sea, lake, falls, river, etc.

ND is great at creating motions or to express the creativity the photographer wants.

Following on from NachaLuva's questions about Lee ND filters, i went looking for a general photography thread and couldn't find one, so here one is.

ND (Neutral density) filters basically reduce the amount of light entering your lens, their primary objective is to facilitate long exposure photography.

ND filters aren't required for night photography, for example here is a shot of Sydney Harbour that i captured last year, it was a 15 second exposure at f11, ISO 100.

D800E_DSC6039 by rpo83, on Flickr

If i wanted to take a 15 second exposure during daylight i would need to reduce the amount of light getting into the camera. If i could meter the shot during the day and get a shutter speed of 1/80th of a second, putting a 10 stop ND filter infront of the lens would give me a new exposure value of 12 seconds..

Cheers

Steve

Well since we shut down March 16th I have only worked about 2 weeks since then. So I have been concentrating on my photography. So blew a load of cash on a new Canon 6D mk2 with 24 - 105mm lens. A Tamron 150 to 600 G2 zoom lens, a macro ring flash, tripod, and a Speedlight flash,. And with my old Canon 650D and the lenses I had with that, I have been out practicing my photography. I had already been doing workshops with the Canon Collective, which is now disbanded, a victim of COVID. Now feeling comfortable trying new things, going to do an Astro workshop at Monarto Zoo (SA) organised by Diamond Photographics. So bee prepared to see even more photos and even shots of my subby.

I have a similar situation post-COVID. I found myself carrying my camera all the time after the lockdowns. I know I am a solitude-loving, remote-going, rock-searching kind of person but I can now be seen lurking around doing street photography!

The SG is with me most of the time with my landscape, bird-watching and astro-photography just because it helps me get to tricky places.

I reckon it is boasting time. How about we list our photo gear, then ***** and moan that the other member bought the wrong brand :)
Well I'll start -
Current list includes:
Samsung A5 (2017) mobile. (Actually takes decent pics)
Canon Powershot A710 (my go-to travel camera - fits in a pocket and takes very decent pics)
Pentax K30 (it's a red one, an end of run special from Ted's - a bargain I reckon. Takes great pics)
Pentax KP (takes great pics but too good for me)
lenses for the Pentaxes include
- cheap Pentax primes (35 and 50mm),
- DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR,
- Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM (cheap but good)
- the 18 - 55mm kits lenses that came with the bodies.

The attached pics are samples from each camera (all resized to fit the upload)-
1st is on the road to Cunnamulla Qld (phone)
2nd is near Santa Fe, New Mexico USA (little Canon)
3rd is the back of Red Crater, on the Tongariro Crossing, NZ, (K30)and
last is on the track in the bottom of King's Canyon, NT (KP)

Attachments

• Cameras 10.jpg
    Cameras 10.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Cameras 20.jpg
    Cameras 20.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Cameras 30.jpg
    Cameras 30.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Cameras 40.jpg
    Cameras 40.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 8
Okay since I started the idea I will list mine:
Canon 650D
Canon 6D mk2
Canon 50mm f1.8 (Nifty fifty)
Canon 24 - 105mm
Canon 100mm Macro
Tamron G2 150mm - 600mm
Tamron 10mm - 24mm (APS-C for Canon 650D)
Tamron 18mm - 270mm (APS-C for Canon 650D)

Yongnuo Speedlight YN685 Flash
Yongnuo remote flash trigger
Yonguo Macro Ring Flash
Hahnel Captur remote shutter release/ time (time lapse and long exposure fun)
K & F Concept Square filter kit - adaptors to fit most lens and 1 10stop ND filter
Several tripods
A few lights

I think I am hooked by photography.
Any SA folk that want to get together for photo shoots - message me.
I am still learning and since I lost all my work due to covid, I need to continue and develop my hobby to keep me sane.
Doing an astro workshop at Monarto Zoo later this monthwith Diamond Photo Store. So be prepared for even more pictures.

My very first camera Kodak Brownie :cool:
1604122421367.png

I certainly agree that the mobiles these days can take good pics -
Canon EOS 300D and 760D added Sigma 18-250mm lens (just followed advice given me by a pro photographer friend for the newer gear - by "newer I mean 2016.

I'm a point and shoot person; most the pics taken here were with the 760D (resized of course): https://www.offroadsubarus.com/threads/trouble-in-the-northern-territory.7967/

PS - DJI Mavic Pro drone
1604127601146.png

Last edited:
Like Kevin, I started with a Kodak box camera in about 1958.

Many others since then ...

Now I have 5x Olympus digital bodies, and too many lenses to list!

My photo gear, including various printers, various scanners, lots of disk storage, etc, etc, cost more than my SG Forester did 9 years ago ...

I have dug out my 35mm film camera, a Canon AE-1 Program with some good glass. Will get it serviced and might shoot the odd roll of film. It makes you think hard about the image you want.

so you have amazing camera ant take amazing pics.. and wanna share it with forums like this one ... so how you do that without lossing too much of that amazing quality ? you need to upload pics somewhere ? so where ? all uploads just compress pics make them much more smaller in size and worse in quality ... is it better ways then ?

so you have amazing camera ant take amazing pics.. and wanna share it with forums like this one ... so how you do that without lossing too much of that amazing quality ? you need to upload pics somewhere ? so where ? all uploads just compress pics make them much more smaller in size and worse in quality ... is it better ways then ?
I have my own web site and have photography software running on it.

While I can upload full size image files, I rarely do.

There are professional photograph thieves who scour the internet ... Besides, much reduced files are usually more than good enough for web use.

I can print up to A2 size prints on my professional quality printer, an Epson R3880.

but we talking here meaning we on forum that take pics from some upload sites that compress photos a lot anyway. so no matter what you have there, if you upload pics here or other forums you will have some small size compressed images . unless you upload them maybe to goole drive and give direct link to it. but whos doing that . we need those pages load fast not slowly arent we ?

but we talking here meaning we on forum that take pics from some upload sites that compress photos a lot anyway. so no matter what you have there, if you upload pics here or other forums you will have some small size compressed images . unless you upload them maybe to goole drive and give direct link to it. but whos doing that . we need those pages load fast not slowly arent we ?
I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

The maximum file size here is fit for purpose for this site.

Other sites make different choices.

Very, very few sites allow (relatively) unlimited size uploads.

Back