Sedona AZ, USA - jinxed

dxd

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
I made a short trip to Sedona in April 2012 with my 2011. I did explore a little on some of the dirt roads, but didn't know much about what was in the area. I knew Schnebly Hill Road, having driven it a couple of times in my little Toyota 2wd pickup years ago. So, I started to drive up Schnebly Hill, got maybe a mile up the road, and had the dreaded flashing CEL-Traction-Cruise light. I turned around as soon as I could, then the next morning drove to Flagstaff and the nearest dealer about 30-40 miles away. It was misfire codes, they cleared them and I had no further problems, of course. I didn't try Schnebly again, though. I didn't want to be out there in the middle somewhere and have something actually happen... The MY2011 seem to be notorious for "false" misfire codes, I had it happen a couple other times with no ill effects.

Sept 2012 I was returning to Sedona in a few days for vacation, with plans to drive Schnebly and some others in the area. Two days before I was to leave, the 2011 was t-boned and rolled over by a Toyota Tundra. :sad: We escaped with only some minor bruising and glass cuts from crawling out of the upside down Foz. Other driver's insurance covered me to get a rental RAV4, so I still went to Sedona. Schnebly Hill Rd was a bumpy but beautiful drive, no issues at all. In Dec, her insurance paid for my new 2013.

Forward to 2014 : With a few days off, I was going to make another try at Sedona and Schnebly. The moon was full, and I have a new camera and lenses to try out...

I drove to Sedona on Monday the 12th, checked in at the hotel, then went to explore a little. I looked at FR 152 and saw the "rental car barricade" - they set rocks as a shelf across the road to only allow higher clearance vehicles to pass. It looks like soft dirt is getting dug out around it thanks to all the Jeep, ATV, and UTV traffic, so not sure what the actual height was originally. I had other plans, so didn't try it. read : chickened out when I saw all the other higher clearance vehicles (SUVs and trucks) that were in the parking area. No one wanted to try it ? With my luck I'd barely make it over and then hit worse out there, or wouldn't get across on the way back LOL.

boyntonpassrd by *dxd*, on Flickr

Sedonavalley by *dxd*, on Flickr

Last edited:
I continued on out the roads to the Honanki ruins, an ancient Sinagua settlement. Checked out a stony little side track to the top of a hill overlooking the area, then on to Honanki. I didn't realize it, but they normally close at 4pm, I was there about 4:30. Ranger/caretaker said there were a couple of Jeep tour groups out, so I could go ahead and take the loop trail, but just make sure I didn't get too far behind the tour

fozhilltop by *dxd*, on Flickr

honanki by *dxd*, on Flickr

ancientart by *dxd*, on Flickr

Lets hope this time it goes a bit better!

google Toyaota Tundra...that is one ugmo, big ugly truck! :puke: Glad you were ok...more testament to the safety of a Subie :lildevil:

Great pics, love the ruins :biggrin:

Next morning, I started up Schnebly Hill, stopped at the first wide pullout to get some photos of the view, and was passed by several Jeep tours. I clearly heard one of the drivers say "Probably a rental car...hahaha" grrr The road is really rocky up to that point, what I remember from fall 2012 is that it's just the first mile or two that's bad, after that it's mostly just potholes and bumpy.

sedonapanorama by *dxd*, on Flickr

I waited a few minutes so I wouldn't be eating their dust so bad, then continued on. About 45 seconds later, the CEL-Cruise-Traction lights lit up like a Christmas tree. Auggghhh :censored::furious:

I had driven over 250 miles up to Sedona, and around on rocky dirt roads with no problems, engine running fine. I was thinking it was maybe the "false" codes like the '11, but better not to take a chance. Turned around and headed to Flagstaff again. The service advisor asked it I could leave it, they'd maybe be able to check it out on Thursday (um, this was Tuesday, how was I supposed to get back to my hotel and everything ?) I asked if they could just read it and clear it - he said they weren't supposed to, but he would go ahead and do it. That was all they did for me back in 2012, no problem.

So, eventually a tech comes out with a scanner, hooks it up, and a couple minutes later disconnects it. I asked what it was, he said "something on the emissions" I asked the code, so I could tell my guys back home, then he said it was P0175.

Is there something about that road, that I keep having problems like this ? It's so ... aggravating.

And, another Foz issue, the oil light is sometimes glowing dimly, only visible when it's dark out. I checked the level, added a little. Online research suggests it a dirty or loose connection for the sensor.

Also have a possible issue with the new camera and lenses - still checking that one out...

I headed from Flagstaff back to the Sedona area, and decided to stick to well-traveled roads for a while, to make sure things were running ok. I headed over to Cottonwood to take a look around at Tuzigoot Natl Monument, another Sinagua ruin. Very different from building styles at Honanki. You can also get down by the Verde River, a nice little place to cool off for a bit. Sun was pretty warm even with the strong winds.

collaredlizardTuzigoot by *dxd*, on Flickr

tuzigootrooms by *dxd*, on Flickr

verderiver by *dxd*, on Flickr

That evening headed for Red Rock Crossing. It was already about 7 pm, it closes at 8, and it cost $10.00 to park. Ouch, but I had hopes for something cool to see. Sunset around 7:20, full moon rise around 6:40 but it takes time to get above the mountains... Timing was off a little, and too late I found out where I should have been, but managed to get some photos.

cathedralsunset by *dxd*, on Flickr

cathedralreflection by *dxd*, on Flickr

cathedralmoonrise by *dxd*, on Flickr

sedonafullmoonedit by *dxd*, on Flickr

fullmoonsedona by *dxd*, on Flickr

After that I headed out west of Sedona on Boynton Pass Road to see if I could get some star shots with moonlight on the hills...

sedonastars by *dxd*, on Flickr

moonlightlandscape by *dxd*, on Flickr

Sedona and the Red Rock country is such a beautiful area, but I'm debating whether or not I want to go back LOL Maybe third time is the charm, and I could finally take my Foz up Schnebly Hill ? Or maybe I should try going down from the other end ? I believe it's all good forest road as far as the Overlook, and not bad for a ways beyond...

or am I jinxed on doing Schnebly in a Foz... ?

Awesome trip report & pics dxd :raz:
I really like the lizard one too, it's an absolute beauty :biggrin::biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

dxd some awesome shots! My favrit would be sedonafullmoon - just an awesome picture! I hope you find resolve with your codes... must be frustrating to be on your journey and them showing up. Happy travels & thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

https://flic.kr/p/nH1qbz

Lovely photos, dxd.

It does seem that you have a small demon following you around with that track record! :(

May things get better for you, and soon.

Finally had a day to get the Foz in for the 15 month maintenance.

The glowing oil light is a "known issue" I think Bulletin #02-141-13R Rubber sealing cap on pressure switch does not seal well and allows moisture to get under the cap.

CEL code P0175 was not stored in memory, and according to the service advisor," is not a recognized code, maybe they (place that read and cleared it) had an off-brand code reader ..." Whaaaa... ? It was a Subaru dealership service tech that read it. A list of Forester CEL trouble codes was posted of at SF.org, and shows the P0175 as System Too Rich (Bank 2) :shrug: Everything checks ok now, so maybe it was just a momentary glitch.

Awesome scenery in your photos. Now I know what Sedona looks like! A vineyard up the road is named Sedona after the owner spent sometime in the US.

Sedona is easily accessible and hence overpriced, tourists are all over the place. However, it is beautiful and always worth a visit. It is a miniature of the much more splendid and desolate landscapes of northern Arizona and southern Utah. It also offers a range of trails, from easy to difficult.

Thanks for sharing those photos, my old archaeology prof. was from the university of AZ and studded Sinagua sites and sites along the Colorado river.Very interesting to look at some of those photos.

Back