Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Gidday All

In locating the solution to another question, I had the good fortune to find the "other" headlight adjustment screw - the (un-documented) ones that allow one to correct the horizontal aim as well as the (documented) ones that allows one to correct the vertical aim. They sure as hell aren't mentioned in the Haynes manual.

I will post some pics later.

If one looks very carefully at the outer end of the headlight unit, there is another of those Philips head screw adjustment crown wheels. It is approached from the mid line of the car at about 30° from the horizontal, and almost at right angles to the mid-line of the car, but with the tip of the driver facing outwards. One inserts the shaft of the driver into the guide channel, and can then adjust the headlight unit/s in the horizontal plane using the usual methods.

[EDIT] These are on the MY06 2006 Forester [end edit]

Last edited:
reserved for photographs

reserved for photographs

D/S vertical with screwdriver in place engaged in crown wheel adjustment mechanism:

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249375_Ew.jpg

P/S vertical with screwdriver in place. The crown wheel mechanism can be seen in this shot.

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249372_Ew.jpg

P/S horizontal adjustment with screwdriver in place for adjusting:

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249371_Ew.jpg

D/S:

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249370_Ew.jpg

D/S showing screwdriver slot with crown wheel visible at the bottom:

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249369_Ew.jpg

Better general exposure showing the D/S slot, but the crown wheel is barely visible:

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249368_Ew.jpg

Showing D/S slot (a bit out of focus) with the crown wheel adjusting mechanism quite visible at the bottom:

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249366_Ew.jpg

Showing the hex head at the rear of the crown wheel mechanism on the D/S:

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249365_Ew.jpg

Showing location and orientation of the D/S screwdriver slot:

E-30_JAK_2013-_2249364_Ew.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, ST. Done.

The photos will be for the SG MY06 onwards. I have taken and uploaded them, but not linked them just yet.

The horizontal adjustment screws are far more obvious on our SH, but in the same location. SWMBO just got home, so I checked ...

The reason why I started this thread in the first place is that I have quite diligently searched for these in the past, as the headlights on Roo2 are not exactly where I like them to be. I could never find a horizontal adjustment screw until searching for a way for Apsilon to get his parking light bulbs out without dismantling half the front of his car ...

I have previously mentioned this problem, but no one has taken up the challenge, or told me where to look, and to get my glasses checked ... :biggrin: :rotfl:.

The adjustment system seems to be quite a good design, just not very obvious ...

Thanks for that additional info about adjusting the fog lights, SJ.

I hadn't even thought of them ...

Hey Ratbag... now I will have to check my Scooby for adjustment... her eyes have always been wrong since my dad collided with a hound of the baskervilles (didn't harm the hound, just the bonnet & headlight of my precious Scooby!) I'll have a look. I might be lucky enough on a 95 Liberty to have some adjustment to get her seeing the road properly again. Thanks!

Back