Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Gidday All

Having just set up a Flickr account myself, I have worked out how to embed images, rather than just link to them. Why Flickr insist on this stupid approach, I can't for the life of me work out. But there you are ...

It appears that Flickr have changed their user interface just recently. It was never all that easy to embed images from Flickr, but now they have made it next to impossible, unless one knows one's way around a bit.

Here is one of SWMBO's Forester:

First, the link using Flickr's sharing method:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97936054@N04/9122096365/

Ugh!

Next, the embedded photo:

9122096365_1979f01eff_c.jpg

Much better, IMNSHO ... :raspberry: :rotfl: :lildevil:.

To do this:

1. Open a new tab in your browser to display your Flickr photostream;
  2. Left click on the image that you want to link or embed (to display it);
  3. Right click on the image you want to embed;
  4. Left click on the size you want to embed;
  5. Right click on the image that displays;
  6. Left click on "Properties" in the context-sensitive menu that appears;
  7. Ctrl+Left-click on the image name (will automatically select the entire name including the .jpg extension);
  8. Ctrl+C to copy this URL (lowercase "c");
  9. Cancel out of this dialog box;
  10. Come back to the browser tab with your post in it;
  11. Left-click on the Insert Image icon at the top of the editing box (allow Scripted Windows, if this appears in the bar across the top of your browser window - then re-try the Insert Image icon);
  12. Ctrl+V to paste this URL into the pop-up box (lowercase "v");
  13. Hit ENTER to accept this, or left click on the OK button
Voilà! Image inserted.
This takes far longer to type than it takes to do ...

Last edited:
Woot! Thank you! I knew there must be a way, just hadn't found it yet. Thanks so much for taking the time to write destructions :)

Regards,

Gidday S2

Glad to be able to help, mate. I see you made excellent use of the method :iconwink: :biggrin:.

I have just lost 10 minutes typing to my flaming wireless connection!
And people ask me why I don't recommend wireless networking for anything more meaningful than Twitting or Facing ... :puke:

The Flickr fora are full of people complaining about this aspect of their new interface!

Considering that Flickr are actively trying to prevent people from directly embedding images hosted by them in other sites, perhaps it is best that I don't post these instructions there ... :p Doh.

This could also explain the lack of such procedures being posted there by others who have worked out how to do this ... :raspberry: :rotfl:.

Carry on, folks ... :lol: :biggrin: :cool:

Thanks for the info I have been trying to work out how to do this.
I had some issues with step 6 when using firefox as no properties option came up.
I have now worked out that when using firefox steps 6 to 9 can be done by right clicking image and selecting copy image location.

Dedman

Gidday S2

Glad to be able to help, mate. I see you made excellent use of the method :iconwink: :biggrin:.

I have just lost 10 minutes typing to my flaming wireless connection!
And people ask me why I don't recommend wireless networking for anything more meaningful than Twitting or Facing ... :puke:

Carry on, folks ... :lol: :biggrin: :cool:

Gidday Ratbag,

I think I got frustrated with Flickr because I figured it out once, then they must have changed it... as you said... so when I went to post pics again it just would not work. All good now tho, I have your printed destructions for the next time :ebiggrin:

Gotta hate losing 10 mins typing. It never sounds as good the second time you type it from out of your head, original drafts can never be replicated! It took me awhile to figure out that I have to post my messages on here relatively quickly before the forum logs me out and I lose everything the same way!

Best regards,

Now I'm wondering if my flickr pictures are showing up ok on here. I did try looking at the forum on a netbook that I haven't used since before I posted my Colorado pics, and they showed up for me.

You aren't using Firefox, are you ? There is no context-sensitive menu that shows up in steps #5 and #6. There is another way around, that I used (IF my photos worked ok LOL )

Dxd, Yes I am using Firefox... where Ratbag says "go to properties" (I thiink)... in Firefox it says "View image info". From there the destructions are all good :ebiggrin:

Best regards,

Gidday All

Thanks for the info I have been trying to work out how to do this.
I had some issues with step 6 when using firefox as no properties option came up.
I have now worked out that when using firefox steps 6 to 9 can be done by right clicking image and selecting copy image location.

Dedman

Yup, thanks. See note below.

I generally use IE8 or Opera.
In Firefox, once you get to the right size image, right click and select "Copy Image Location". This copies the true URI to your clipboard, including the all-important ".JPG" part. Then continue to follow the instructions ("destructions", LOL :) ) to insert it here. e.g.
9122094293_9062f2235b_c.jpg

Gidday Ratbag,

I think I got frustrated with Flickr because I figured it out once, then they must have changed it... as you said... so when I went to post pics again it just would not work. All good now tho, I have your printed destructions for the next time :ebiggrin:

Maybe I need to do that too!

Gotta hate losing 10 mins typing. It never sounds as good the second time you type it from out of your head, original drafts can never be replicated! It took me awhile to figure out that I have to post my messages on here relatively quickly before the forum logs me out and I lose everything the same way!

Best regards,

Yeah. Quite. I even spoke some of the 'magic words', to no avail ... :(

Now I'm wondering if my flickr pictures are showing up ok on here. I did try looking at the forum on a netbook that I haven't used since before I posted my Colorado pics, and they showed up for me.

You aren't using Firefox, are you ? There is no context-sensitive menu that shows up in steps #5 and #6. There is another way around, that I used (IF my photos worked ok LOL )

See above.

Dxd, Yes I am using Firefox... where Ratbag says "go to properties" (I thiink)... in Firefox it says "View image info". From there the destructions are all good :ebiggrin:

Best regards,

Right clicking on the desired size image in Firefox brings up a context-sensitive menu - select "Copy Image Location".

The image embedded above was copied from a Firefox window and pasted here into this post being done in IE8.

I should add this into the instructions, or make a separate set for FF. IIRC, Opera uses the same system as FF. I will check.

PERHAPS if anyone is having a problem posting images, they could use this thread as a test bed.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

G'day again All

I just tried Opera.

Leaving aside that it's a nightmare to login to Flickr using Opera ... It's only taken me over an hour to work out how to achieve this. See this extract from YAHOO ...

Caught in a "login loop" where the sign-in box continues to reappear
If the login screen continues to loop and never go anywhere, or if you simply can't access your account, this usually means that the login cookie is not storing properly on your browser.
Here are some things to try:
Click Sign in as a different user. Once signed out, simply re-enter your ID and password.
Clearing your Internet Browser's Cache and Cookies may resolve this issue.
Try all of the log in URLs below, as your results can vary:
Yahoo! Account -- https://login.yahoo.com
Yahoo! Mail -- https://mail.yahoo.com
My Yahoo! -- https://my.yahoo.com/
If possible, try to access each of these links from a different browser or computer, to help eliminate the possibility of an issue with your computer's configuration settings.
If you have another Yahoo! ID, please see if you are experiencing the same issue with that ID as well.

Once you get there, the basic procedure is identical to that used with Firefox. "Copy Image Address" in Opera, rather than "Copy Image Location" in FF.

e.g.
9123317852_75e082488f_c.jpg

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thought I would post a bit of an update here because flickr has changed the process yet again...

From step 2 above the process has now changed to the following (using google chrome).
1. same
2. same
3. displayed in bottom right corner of the black background the picture is dispalyed in is a small arrow pointing downwards. Click it.
4. Click view all sizes
5. select the size you want (if using IE use steps 5 onwards in first post)
6. right click image and select copy image url then follow steps 10 onwards from first post.

^ Thanks for that update, DM.

While I have a Flickr account, I rarely use it. Will have to look at my account.

There was a huge backlash against them when they changed the UI over a year ago. Maybe they took some notice.

Back