daniel glavin

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Auto
Hey everyone,

So I was heading back down from the mountains yesterday and I noticed my check engine light popped on. I went to the local shop and got the code read and bam it's a P0420 and they're recommending I replace the Catalytic Converter. Here is the issue i'm having:
I've read up on it a bit and everyone on other forums is saying that usually this is complete crap with this gen specifically (2002 Subaru Outback) and that most likely all I need to do is change the front oxygen sensor or maybe not even that.

Does anyone have any experience with this? My Subie only has 109,000 miles on it and my understanding is that catalytic converters need replacing very rarely.

Any suggestions are well come,

Thanks.

Yeah it's running just as fantastic as before. I haven't noticed any differences. Thanks for the link.

Alright man thanks. I do this asap. Any reason why the check engine light would just pop on though? Just happens sometimes, or does the P0420 code have a list of things that it could mean besides the cat/sensor?

Thanks.

Oh and I just read that first link you sent me and it answered those questions. Thanks a lot Kevin.

Back