• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

How big is too big?

Will larger wheels fit if I don't raise it first?

Yes - I guess you mean larger tyres? But stay with a diameter similar to 21565R16 would be my recommendation.

I have not noticed any great difference in performance in going from 225/60/17 to 225/70/16. I am guessing it also depends on the power of the engine to start with. I don't have the XT but my non-turbo 2.5L seems to handle the slightly larger tyre size without problem.

These guys were talking of manual transmissions. Your CVT will be somewhat immune to the same kind of issues like any other automatic gearbox. You can just apply more throttle and the car will eventually build up enough torque multiplication to move the tyres over the obstacle. A manual gearbox requires slipping of the clutch to crawl and the mechanical disadvantage of larger tyres makes for a much more difficult rock climbing venture. Most modern manual Subarus have only a quasi low-lange of 1.15 or something close to that whereas the older Foresters (and even older L-series wagons) used to have 1.5 or 1.59 low range (other techies here will remember the exact ratios), so swapping them into a newer Forester gearbox is a BIG step up in overcoming the larger tyres, and then some. Then you could swap diff ratios out as well, increasing the low range gearing. Mind you, it's nothing like a Patrol's low-range 1st... nothing like it at all... but still the best effort of low range crawling Subaru has ever made. Any greater low range would see us breaking CV's.

That is interesting. I have not heard comment before re the CVT / auto vs the manual as far as tyre size and gearing is concerned. It makes sense though.

Back