TR: 4wd'n near Hotham 07MAY11

El_Freddo

Forum Member
Car Year
1988, 1990
Car Model
EJ22'd L series; Targa Brumby
Transmission
Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
G'day all

Here are some pics of our trip out yesterday, starting with some brake issues I had on the way to a mates place - one of the callipers had seized onto the brake disc causing some serious vibration through the steering wheel. Here's the calliper minus the piston and half of the dirt seal that was the culprit for the crap that held the piston:

p50700944wdhoth.jpg

^ got some emery paper onto the piston to remove the rust/crap that was on it, put it back in then bleed the brakes, which was a bit of fun.

Made an effort to get a pic of the vehicles together - this is the best I got:

p50700954wdhoth.jpg

First bit of fun: I had a go but didn't have the weight for traction or a rear locker like the other two, so took the track on the right where the animal track can be seen in the pic:

p50700994wdhoth.jpg

This is a pic of Roger going for full articulation while manoeuvring over a boulder:

p50701114wdhoth.jpg

This is where we had lunch - jealous much?

p50701194wdhoth.jpg

^ after getting through this with a bit of fun we almost got attacked by a swarm of wasps that we stirred up after one of us drove over their nest. It wasn't much fun but good for a laugh after.

Ruby Scoo and Big Russ hanging out in the grass. Can't believe I've got a 3 inch lift and 27's and Ruby Scoo still looks short compared to that grass!

p50701234wdhoth.jpg

One of the gaps Roger had to negotiate:

p50701264wdhoth.jpg

A kind of gloomy pic I found interesting when I took it:

p50701374wdhoth.jpg

One of the tracks that has been blocked for rehabilitation halfway down the spur, made it a big park/camp/turnaround. Good views:

p50701384wdhoth.jpg

This is at the bottom of miner's track after a 2 or 3km decent down to the dargo river:

p50701494wdhoth.jpg

^ Could be a good place for you to check out yarney, just make sure your low range is well lubricated - mine started to whine on the way out.

Just after crossing the dargo river:

p50701594wdhoth.jpg

Massive hill climb: I had two attempts, busted out "the WRX" in Ruby Scoo on the second attempt as a mate requested. Got about halfway up on the second, lost traction then bogged down and didn't have the balls in the EJ to continue up on that incline. The two toyotas crawled up, double diff locks worked a treat in the 60 and the rear auto locker in the 100 did the job too:

p50701624wdhoth.jpg

The 100 coming up among this beautiful part of the world:

p50701684wdhoth.jpg

Roger's yoda at the top of the first section:

p50701734wdhoth.jpg

Big Russ stopped to move some rocks. He continued up about 100m more before calling it a day as it was getting dark and we were still in the middle of no-where:

p50701754wdhoth.jpg

Back across the Dargo River:

p50701804wdhoth.jpg

Then back up Miner's track:

p50701844wdhoth.jpg

After this, once at the top we re-inflated, then convoyed out via some very dusty roads which I found quite challenging as they were very similar to white out conditions in the snow.

Had a great day out, Ruby Scoo went very well, the scorpions great, even richie reckoned they looked great. Got a few ideas for Ruby (again), some that I've considered before and put them on the back burner but might just re-surface again. Overall she kept up except for the massive hill climb at the end of the day.

Thanks heaps to Richie for showing us around his backyard and to Roger for coming along, I'm sure both of them had a ball too.

Cheers

Bennie

Great trip report & pics El_Freddo :ebiggrin:
Looks & sounds like you guys had a great time :)
The scenery with all the mountains looks absolutly beautiful :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Nice report. You lucky bugger, all I got is mountains and mountains of beach and sand dunes :(

On another mark I think its time for a snorkel Bennie. With all the river crossings you cant be too safe....

Taza

Last edited:
Yeah fellas, good times had.

Snorkel in the process (thought process anyway) - I want a good looking and practical unit too...

Got a "Hotham" thread going in the pics section too. Taza, enjoy the sand - I have to travel interstate to get a sand fix!

Oh, and I've also got this to share:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRUkwOZGUg"]YouTube - Raw footage: Ruby Scoo River Crossing[/ame]

Rear locker could've got me up the first time... but anyway, a run up will have to do.

Cheers

Bennie

Looks like a great time! There is a guy out here that drives an old land cruiser that looks almost identical to the one in your pictures.

Great vid El_Freddo :)
What a wicked exit from the river crossing :eek: Looks like a nice big hole in the middle at the start of the exit too :huh:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Hay Bennie
The car looks great now with the scorpion rims hang on to those supper trippers they don't exist any more :cry:

Looks like a great place love those hill climbs :lildevil:
When i looked at the video i thought you broke the rad with all that steam
Is that forest on or above the snow line?
Have you got any ideas on the pm i sent you?

Jan

Have you got any ideas on the pm i sent you?

I'm working on them. This area would be a good one to camp at. Dargo river, huge decent to get in then a decent hill climb to get out the next day :D

When is it that you'll be up this way? Richie had a map that might be of interest to you, I'll get the details of that as well ;)

Cheers

Bennie

And thanks for the rest of your comments. We're hoping to get out again a couple of times before the start of the season... but going by the pics I'm trying to upload I think it could be considered as already here (don't think so but it still looks good, and circle work in the frozen carpark is always fun!)

Cheers

Bennie

Back