Help me plan the off/road trip of a lifetime

Sounds like a good trip.

Yeah I'm starting to think hard about the budget now that I'm starting to look at things in a biit more detail.

I just finished listening to an audio book called "Too long in the Bush" by Len Beadall. Can't remember who read it but it was Len's tale of the building of the Gunbarrell Highway.

I quite like listening to audio books on a long drive.

I've listened to a couple of ebooks in the car. Might be OK on a highway but I found it too distracting in traffic when I tried it.

Thinking of getting one of these eeePCs ATM and fashioning a mounting bracket for it. Would be useful for navigation and MP3s. Combine with a USB DVD burner for archiving photos off my memory cards and watching DVDs. Combine with a USB TV tuner and I have a small TV as well which might help pass the odd night when close to town.

I'm planning on taking my eeePC with me - it's just brilliant! I run an external 120GB WD Passport to put my pics, movies (ripped movies are only 700MB so I've got a couple of dozen) and music on. It really makes travelling with a computer so much easier. I'm trying to get away from TV, so I won't be taking my tuner, and I haven't tried to use it as a GPS, but it's definitely a ripper piece of tech. :rock:

A friend is trying to convince me to go to the Wolfe Creek meteor crater (yes because of the movie). Anyone been there? Worth seeing in person? If I were to include it I think it'd make the most sense to go fron Kakadu to there (re supply in Darwin) before then heading down to Alice. Anything else worth seeing along that route?

I did some rough browsing of maps and trek notes today and I'm thinking I can do this trip in 45 days assuming no problems and not staying in any one place more than a night. That'd give me another 15 days to play with. Sound reasonable/realistic?

No doubt I'll cross into SA at some point on the trip so if I could find a way to cut throguh VIC and stop at a mates in ACT on the way back I'll have done every state and territory on the mainland in one tour LOL.

I've been upto a mine just north of there a bit. It's actually a nice part of the country on the doorstep of the Kimberly. Bloody long drive from over east though... That said I'd drive days to get there in preference to the outback NSW/Qld region, but it's personal preference.

The only TV I watch is the news if I'm home early enough and Simpsons reruns. Still for 8 weeks I'd like to have the option. DVD rips are fantastic. I'll often buy movies that I haven't seen once they get down under $10 then rip them to a file. I keep several on my work notebook so I always have something for when I'm travelling. Makes being stuck in airports a bit easier.

Eastie, yeah it is a long drive but hopefully it's worth it.

I'm planning on taking my eeePC with me - it's just brilliant! I run an external 120GB WD Passport to put my pics, movies (ripped movies are only 700MB so I've got a couple of dozen) and music on. It really makes travelling with a computer so much easier. I'm trying to get away from TV, so I won't be taking my tuner, and I haven't tried to use it as a GPS, but it's definitely a ripper piece of tech. :rock:

I took mine on my last trip too, it was fantastic. watched a few DVDs etc.. didn't bother with a TV tuner as it was too remote for TV anyway but not remote enough for Bigpond Wireless. I bought mine just before the 10" model was released.. would've been nicer as it has a bigger keyboard (from what I understand) and doesn't cost much more.

It's off topic I know, but Apsilon what software do you use to rip movies to an AVI file? I've not found any freeware that does a decent job yet.

Six more working days to Holidays!

I use DVD Shrink, to date I've not come across any that haven't worked.

FYI, BigPond Movies have a 1 month free trial, where you get around 15 free movies. Go to

https://dvd.bigpondmovies.com/

And select the free trail link, then enter the code "friend"

If this no-longer works PM me and I'll see if I have any other vouchers around.

Thanks for the tip on the Fair Use Wizard software - I'll give it a go. Um, I didn't know DVD Shrink would convert to an AVI? I use it to convert AVI's back to DVD.

Eight days until I hit the road:woohoo:

Thought I should post a little update. It seems my luck hasn't changed as I've hit several snags. My mate who I was going to travel with looks to be selling his 4WD and isn't buying another. Trailers on the Simpson are apparently being banned as of Jan 1st. Ordered my new Pajero last week only to find that there's no stock and orders have been stopped as the new model is in production. No one has any ideas on what the new model entails, it could be a face lift or it could be a complete change. I really want to get out of my Forester this side of Xmas but also don't want a LWB 4WD which basically limits my choice to the Pajero or a Jeep. I'll take a look at the Jeep in the next few weeks but I really doubt the build quality has changed since I last looked at one 5 or so years ago.

Right now I just want to get this project implementation finished. Another update in a few weeks.

LOL. Yeah I know. You've got to admit they've got a great range of aftermarket bits and do look great with a big lift and rubber to match. Pity the 2 door can only tow 1600kg and has such a poor engine.

Luck will turn. I can still do most of the trip alone, it just means skipping some of the rougher stuff. The Simpson can wait and be a standalone trip. That just leaves the vehicle to sort.

Back