• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

driveline vibration

Beachworm

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission
Auto
I have just started to notice a very slight vibration under hard acceleration in my 2010 naturally aspirated Forester (160,000 Km). It is not evident at any other time. It can be felt through the seat of the pants rather than through the steering.

Any thoughts about what I should be looking for?

If you feel it in the seat, it probably comes from the rear of the vehicule. Any noise related to the vibration ?

Maybe tailshaft centre bearing, or uni joints. You’re doing well though. My na forester wasn’t capable of hard acceleration!

Maybe tailshaft centre bearing, or uni joints. You’re doing well though. My na forester wasn’t capable of hard acceleration!

Very funny - I'm speaking in relative terms. If I compare it to the Renault R4 I once owned it's positively sparkling. :ebiggrin:

There are no noises, just the faintest of vibrations noticed when taking off from a standstill on bitumen and only for the first 20-30 metres.

If it’s only off the line that’s a characteristic of a worn tailshaft centre bearing

Some have been talking about some sort of vibration under hard acceleration with lifted Subarus.

I am not sure if it's related to JonDZ's case as he has a CVT, but he installed spacers for his transmission to fix the wobble/vibration. Cheers.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0TBsYkhVZI"]No more Wobble! after 2-inch lift! +1st snow of the season - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for the input.

Middleagedsubie - mine is an SH which does not have CVT it does have a 4 speed auto but it is different to the 4EAT transmission. The reference you gave is for SG.

It certainly feels like it's from the tailshaft. I thought it might be a tailshaft universal joint. I didn't think of the centre bearing but it does make sense. I'll get it checked.

Back