What tyres are you running on?

2215? Now we know why Rally gets through everything. The locker was just a ruse!

What Tyre Brand are you on? Yokohama G015
What Size are they? 215/65 R16
What type are they - wet/dry Both
Are they grippy or not? They are very grippy on gravel; Wet grip is OK;
Are they noisy or quiet? These are quiet for AT tyres; The sound is no louder than directional road tyres.
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? These are very good for both;

On the road, they have good enough grip; On mud and at 25psi, these perform exceptionally. I drive by getting as much traction on the tyres instead of flooring it; On extremely soft sand, I was able to test the set initially at 20psi and was able to get up the dunes with less momentum than most trucks in the area. At 15spi, there is a huge traction difference; On rocks and mud, I run 25psi and I get a lot of traction with moderate throttling; I always run 28psi on corrugations with mild to moderate undulations and, as with the other terrains, I get a lot of traction.

The grip differential is closer with these tyres than with road tyres for tarmac and gravel grip - Road tyres, generally, are extra grippy on black top and somewhat much less grippy on gravel. These tyres have OK grip on black top but with increased traction on gravel. I am assuming it's to do with their compound.

What Life span are you getting out of them? I have just run 4000km with these and they still look relatively new. I will keep this updated after 1000km.

Do you like them or not really? I like them a lot. I now understand why this model is the go-to for most Subaruers. The price/traction ratio is its main strength.

I get a much more decent fuel consumption than the previous HiFlys.

I sold the 17s, as well as the 16" HiFlys that came with the 16" SH Enkeis, by the way.

What Tyre Brand are you on? Bridgestone D697
What Size are they? 265/65 R17
Are they grippy or not? Brand new, too early to say.
Are they noisy or quiet? Quiet, at least on the freeway. How they go oncoarse chip bitumen I will find out
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? Hopefully they will be good for off road use, I don't expect much on road.

What Life span are you getting out of them? Done about 50kms, no idea.

Do you like them or not really? Let's see if I get a puncture on my first trip
[/I]

This is for the Ranger, not the Forrie.

Keep us updated on your set [MENTION=44]Rally[/MENTION]. I am supposed to go with the same model but the Bridgestone dealer seemed kind of reluctant to put those on my SG5. They are in the same price bracket last time I checked. The shop where I got the G015s from was much easier to deal with. Cheers.

When I got my SH as a new car it was fitted with Bridgestone Dueller HT

What Tyre Brand are you on? Bridgestone Dueller HT
What Size are they? 215/65 R16 running at 38 psi
Are they grippy or not? Not too bad.
Are they noisy or quiet? I didn't notice excessive noise
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? I did't take them off road except for a few hundred Km of formed gravel road but on bitumen they seemed fine to me

What Life span are you getting out of them? I changed them before it was necessary and they had 89,000 on them at the time.

Do you like them or not really? They were OK but not special.

Because I wasn't into off roading and it was a company car doing big highway mileage I decided to put more road oriented tyres on it so I got a new set.

What Tyre Brand are you on? Michelin Energy Saver
What Size are they? 215/65 R16 running at 38 psi
Are they grippy or not? Much better than the Bridgestone OEM in both wet and dry.
Are they noisy or quiet? Significantly quieter than the bridgestone OEM
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? I had these on when I started to get interested in off road driving and used them on sand with excellent results but they were really a road tyre and that was where they shone.

What Life span are you getting out of them? They had 70,000 Km on them when I swapped them for a set of rims and tyres. They looked to have about another 20,000 L in them at that stage.

Do you like them or not really? They were great for driving on the highway but Michelins have a reputation for soft sidewalls so I wouldn't take them on rough, rocky tracks.

I took a more "off road" approach with my next set of tyres.

What Tyre Brand are you on? Toyo Open Country AT
What Size are they? 215/70 R16 running at 34 psi
What type are they - M+S
Are they grippy or not? They are very grippy on dirt but less so on bitumen;
Are they noisy or quiet? Quiet for AT tyres; The sound is louder than the Michelins but comparable with the Bridgestone HTs.
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use? I'm happy with their off-road performance, keeping in mind they are a compromise tyre that gives reasonable performance on all kinds of off road surfaces but not outstanding on any. Where their performance is a bit concerning is on wet bitumen. Braking is fine, but lateral grip when cornering on wet bitumen is much lower than either of the tyres I have run previously. It means I have had to moderate my speed when cornering in the wet.

Gee 38 PSI (cold) seems high! Did you check their PSI when hot?

I didn't check them hot but they seems very harsh on the road so dropped them back.

What Tyre Brand are you on? Toyo Open Country AT
... I'm happy with their off-road performance, keeping in mind they are a compromise tyre that gives reasonable performance on all kinds of off road surfaces but not outstanding on any. Where their performance is a bit concerning is on wet bitumen. Braking is fine, but lateral grip when cornering on wet bitumen is much lower than either of the tyres I have run previously. It means I have had to moderate my speed when cornering in the wet.

I had the AT IIs, which I guess is what you have as well, on the B9 Tribeca. Fantastic tires on dirt; I found them outstanding there though the 255 width may have been partly why I never had an OB tire that could match them on dirt (225 ATS, KO2, Continental AT). I agree with what you said about rain.

The best tires I have had so far on any vehicle:

AT: Falken Wildpeak AT3W, P-metric. These are in a league of their own when it comes to P-metric tires. They may not be quite as strong as the best LT-metric tires, but their grip in rock is unbelievable and they are stronger than any other P-metric tire (6-9 lb heavier per tire than the P-metric competition). There is no noise on the freeway, at least in a Prado-platform vehicle, nor any other downside on a 4x4.

Street: Nitto 420S. Outstanding all-season performance tire for a Subaru with an H6 or turbo engine. These tires and Subaru AWD make each corner a pleasure. This is what the TB has had for 3.5 years now and we will probably follow up with another set next year. I doubt these tires are any good in snow, but snow is irrelevant here.

For the first time since I started to care about tires (a decade), I am pretty much sure that I will get another set of the same tires for both vehicles we have. Completely satisfied.

What Tyre Brand are you on? _________Falken AS210
What Size are they?__________________ 215/60/16
What type are they - wet/dry__________both (all season)
Are they grippy or not?_______________yes, in the snow and rain
Are they noisy or quiet?_______________quiet
Are they good for offroad or just onroad use?____best onroad
What Life span are you getting out of them?_____i don't know, is the first time with this type of tyre, i'm testing.
Do you like them or not really?__________________at this moment i like them

I didn't check them hot but they seems very harsh on the road so dropped them back.
I run my Bridgestone Ecopia 225/60-16s at 40psi for around town and highway use. This was on the recommendation of my then mechanic and also the Bridgestone tyre shop. The ride is not as harsh as one might expect - maybe because the tyre could be 'ballooning'. In fact the ride seems smoother than at say 34-36psi. The tyres are wearing evenly, after maybe 40,000km. This is my second set of slightly oversize 225/60s. OEM is 215/60-16 for my old Outback.

I don't do 'offroad', but have done a bit of dirt road running (Larapinta Loop for example) and they are great for this kind of thing - either aired down to 26psi or not.

I'm not advocating 40psi for tyres one way or the other - just reporting my experience.

Last edited:
Probably a different compound to AT tyres - built for comfort! :)

I'm not advocating 40psi for tyres one way or the other - just reporting my experience.
We just had the tyres done on the work cars (little hyundai things) The tyre fitters pumped them up to and recommended 40psi.
When I last did the Forester, from memory they were put on at 40psi as well.

Ecopias are really good tyres. I had the PZ-X on the previous car, the BP5, and when those tyres were installed, road noise was reduced significantly. They are the quietest tyres I have ever used.

RE003's standard 215/60R16

love em. Cheap, sticky, wear well, quiet.

RE003's standard 215/60R16
I just recently put some RE003 225/55R16 on the SVX. Then the gearbox threw a wobbly before I could give them a good run. :(

My baby sister's BL5 turbo, which I also maintain, has RE003s on. It just grips, no dramas. The tyres create their own railroad, especially when fully warmed-up.

Back