Amphibian SUV_2030 project!

AmphibianSUV

[FONT=&quot]Hello 4WD/Off Road community![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My name is Murphy from Australia studying Transport Design! Currently in my final 4th year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My aim for this year is to design an environmentally friendly Electric amphibious SUV vehicle that can be employed by diverse groups, but more specifically focused on Global warming advocates as the main users. The amphibious SUV is set to befriend both the land and water. The year is 2030[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The reason for my visit is to ask the 4WD/off road community what problems you would encounter when driving off road. And problems you have with your off-road vehicle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Example:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Is visibility an issue? Would the absence of the hood be a big advantage because you are able to see more of the road or the wheels?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Cargo storage? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Wheel/suspension issues? Would the ability to rotate 360 degrees, or even the ability to drive sideways be an advantage?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’d love to hear your experiences revolving around this topic and what other issues I should consider when designing a SUV 4WD vehicle for extreme environments? I don’t own a 4WD or have ever experienced it so this forum is the next best thing![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Btw designing it so it can be driven in water![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cheers guys[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]behance.net/mak27[/FONT]

1. Ground clearance
2. Ramp angle
3. Departure angle
4. Water tightness (doors, diff breathers, engine intake and exhaust)
5. Suspension travel
6. Grip (tyres) (sometimes more fun than a problem)
7. Gearing
8. Power or lack thereof
9. Braking
10. Getting lost (also sometimes more fun than a problem)

Top Gear - The Car Boat Challenge

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl3bsL7Nbnk"]YouTube - BBC: Top Gear - The Car Boat Challenge - Amphibious Cars in a Lake![/ame]

The hood is really a great invention. It puts alot of space between the fragile carbon unit operating the vehical and anything that said vehical may run into (trees boulders etc).

Many have trid this before, and believe it or not, I think the germans had the best (sort of like saying which is the best fatal cancer to have) one. It was an 4wd predecesser to the Thing during WW2. It was underpowered, but it worked. Very few were made. It had a great sloping hood line, 4WD so you could actually get out of the water once you are in it, and as typical for any VW of that era, was fairly water tight.

Part of the proplem with Amphibous vehicals is that you can not get them 100% water tight. They all seem to have bilge pumps, and once you run out of fuel, you run out of power for the pump.

Anything that is designed as a universal vehical, never does any of the tasks all that well. MArine enviorment of any kind is very very hard on electrics. I used to do enviormental testing for the US Navy, its amazing how quickly even protoype stuff would fail.

nipper

Damian I'm surprised at you! Unless it is a hydrogen generator type electric vehicle, it will have a squillion batteries already. If it is hydrogen it will have enough power to keep the neighbourhood running.

[FONT=&quot]My aim for this year is to design an environmentally friendly Electric amphibious SUV vehicle that can be employed by diverse groups, ...[/FONT]

Damian I'm surprised at you! Unless it is a hydrogen generator type electric vehicle, it will have a squillion batteries already. If it is hydrogen it will have enough power to keep the neighbourhood running.

:redface: :o :redface: How stupid am I :redface: :o :redface:

I must remember to engage brain before opening mouth (posting comment) next time. :shake: :o :redface: :shake:

I must admit, it has been a veeeeery long day at work today though. :cool:

Regards
Mr Turbo

My 2 cents.

Go look at a new Land Rover esp LR3(discovery) or Range Rover. Look at the door seals theres your first bread crumb there.

Then think about the feasabilty of an electric offroad vehicle. How are you going to replenish the batteries? Plug in? Wind? Solar? Hydro? Extended range EV?

Suspension layout. What works best for offroading. Could something like a airbag system also be used in conjuntion with a ballast system (compressor).

Articulation. What are your axels going to look like? Variable length? Fixed? (again go look under a land rover. Do you need axels? (Hub motors)

Shape. How are you going to move this tech through the offroad world? Tall? Wide? Long? BALANCE! (esp w those batteries)

Ok I'd keep going but I'm hungry so good luck!

Back