Getting Keys Cut?

Dedman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
5MT
Since I bought my car I haven't had a spare key for it but im thinking it really is time I got one.

My question is; Is my key a special one with a chip or something in it or can I just get a new bog standard key cut? (99 Base model forester)
I know 97 foresters use simple keys but my one has a blinking key shaped
light on the dash and the key looks like this;

9499875126_02981a78eb.jpg

If it is an expensive key to get cut any tips on ways to do it on the cheap/cheap places to get it done would be appreciated.

Cheers

DedmanWalking...

Your key is definitely transpondered. From 1998 in Australia Subaru Foresters have transponder chips in their head. It is an NSN14 key blank with a T13 Chip.

What this means is you can have your existing key and data in the chip copied (it can be cloned) by a locksmith in your area. Shame you weren't in Brisbane.

If you lose that key, it can be very VERY expensive.

?? Does your car have a GT badge on the back of it?

Best regards,

Scooby2

Thanks heaps for the info :) Very much appreciated. It has a GX badge i think, non turbo base model.

Gidday DedmanWalking,

No worries. Just call around and get a price down there for cloning, and if you like I can let you know if it's reasonable.

Best regards,

Gidday DmW

I had an extra one cloned, chipped and cut for my 2006 out at Hallam Locksmiths. $125 IIRC. Also had a plain (non-chipped) key cut for the Keytainer. The latter one will not start the car, but it will unlock the driver's door if I ever manage to find a way to accidentally lock my keys in the car!

Gidday Ratbag & DedmanWalking,

1998-2003 in Subaru Forester keys are specifically different to others. Will post something tomorrow when I check.

Best regards,

Gidday DedmanWalking,

Argh! It's Ekka Show day in Brisbane today... haven't forgotten, just gotta ask tomorrow

Best regards,

Heavens to Murgatroyd!!

Not the Ekka day ...

Now that's a blast from the past ... :iconwink: :poke: :lol:

Gidday Dedmanwalking.

Cloning the key you have should be all good. Your cost saving will be if you are able to take your key to whoever you have do it.

The 2.0L Australian Subaru Forester 1998-2003 with all keys lost until recently for us was a relative impossibility, but .... things have recently changed. The next one we do will be proof in the pudding and I will write more when .... I have evidence :)

Bottom line for anybody really that owns a car with transponder technology in their key (in Australia from 1998 onwards) is... if you only have one key for your car, get a spare before a disaster happens and you only have one!

Best regards,

Get a normal key cut, try it in the ignition with the chiped key near the ignition as well, If it works its an RFID type immobilizer, tape the key under the dash somerwhere and get another spare cut. Of course you wont have use of the immobilizer anymore, you'll also need to be creative of where you hide the key.

Also try touching the key tip to the ignition barrel if the first ry doesnt work.

I've been wondering about this and have been trawling the net for years for 04 Forester keys.

Just recently a seller in Israel sold me three Alpha Corp 433.92 Mhz Euro Forester keys for ~$120 AUD.

They are identical to my current car key and I'm in the need of getting 3 NSN14T key blanks.

Where would I get these blanks in Oz and how much?

Do the chips differ between Euro and Oz meaning will I need new chips?

^ The link above is for the 1998-2004 Forester. Mine was bought in 2004 but is an MY05. Does anyone know if that blank will work?

Back