Underbody rust repair

kiwifoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L series
Transmission
5 speed dual-range PT4WD
So the last time I swapped the AT tyres back to my roadies (after an offroad roadtrip round Central Otago) I noticed that there were four rust patches on the underside of my Foz, totaling around 10cm2. As these rust patches were relatively close to the rear subframe reinforcement points, and I park my car outside in our wet coastal clime, they needed attention so as to not become structural, and thus a WOF issue. As I already had some etch primer and paint that would work effectively as an undercoat (rubberised house paint to apply to a plaster surface) I decided to do the job myself.

One of the rust patches:
51a9z4.jpg

Nothing major at this point but that could well change.

Sanded back to steel
2cwr1fp.jpg

Took ages.

Etch primed - 3 coats
rmpwsh.jpg

I then applied three thick coats of a rubberised paint, which has held up quite nicely so far to some gravel road driving. I'll paint it black once it finishes curing, as it's currently white which isn't very subtle for WOF checks...

All in all I'm pleasantly surprised with how easy this job was. The rear trailing arms and lateral links are also getting a bit rusty these days, but they aren't in any danger of rusting out yet, or failing a WOF.

I'm hoping to avoid this scenario.
23h0q4l.jpg

That MY wagon is still good. My brumby isnt much better than that MY and its still a good car with plenty of life yet.

Haha that MY is worse than it looks in that photo, there's literally nothing left of the sills or floors. It's held together by the tranny tunnel and roof. I'll put it this way, the left front door hinges rusted off the A pillar...

Back