Another brilliant motorkhana

Rally

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
WRX
Transmission
6 Speed
Took the WRX off road to a wet skidpan motorkhana today. As usual, my navigation was woeful but the car was brilliant. I scored way too many WD's to get a decent time, but I knew I would so I went for out and out fun. In true Ken Block style, I was power sliding out of corners, handbraking into them and doing on the spot doughnuts. I hope later to get some in car footage. Despite my quest for style over speed, I still managed a 2nd quickest time on one course when I had some idea where I was going but after that it all became too hard and I literally got lost when I left my window open and a tsunami came through and over the car. I literally could not see through the windscreen and by the time I did all I could say was- oh, that's where I am! I was soaked and so was the inside of the car but I could not care less as it was so much fun. I reckon I am capable of a top ten finish and the car is probably a top five finisher but we're not driving for sheep stations so why worry. Anyway, my heart is still doing 150 BPM getting the last of the adrenalin out of my system.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a fantastic day of fun mate :raz: even if you did get soaked in the process :)
And yes, I know, from personal experience, what it's like when you have the window down at the wrong time too :lol:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Yes indeed. I double entered the car as well with another club member. HIs navigation was much better than mine and he was seriusly going for points towards the club championship, which I was not. He is pretty good- he was the one in the green car who drove so brilliantly to be 10 seconds a lap quicker at the recent 6 hour event than anyone else. While he had trouble for much of the day figuring out how to get the best out of the trick diffs in my car, he finished in the top 10 and is capable of winning the event in that car. I was delighted to see him get that result as well.

Here are some photos from last weekends action. I hope to put a video up as soon as I can

_MG_0771.jpg

_MG_0620.jpg

_MG_0609.jpg

Great looking GC, bloody thing's almost got more body roll than the dunger, I'm hopeless at cone racing too, always facing the wrong way, I actually spun a car (my Liberty on brand new tyres) for the first time ever without meaning to doing this but I've only ever done it in the dry.

Looks like you are drying your clothes in the back window in the first shot, took a while to work out it's 111.

I went to watch some friends last year & one of their cars died so I ended up borrowing a helmet & got a free drive, this was just after it was regoed. Only did two laps when a hose on the fuel tank split & pissed fuel everywhere lol.

Ripped the wheel carrier off & away I went
DSC03010.jpg

Last edited:
Body roll? With 24 and 22mm sway bars on it, I'd say what roll you do see is due to the speed the car is going and the grip from the diffs and tyres. I was initially a bit concerned it is too stiff if anything, as it is lifting wheels which it did not do with standard bars. The numbers were the race numbers. #1 was for me, #11 for my mate who was double entered in the car. Not a very elegant solution, but that is what the organisers gave us.

Yeah that's as stiff as I'd want to go on the road or the tyres start skipping, that's how I came into possession of the offroader, the guy had it so wound down on coilovers that he reckoned he could tell which way up a 50c piece was....went around a mild corner too fast, hit a small rock then bounced into a couple of small trees before demolishing the front on a sandbank........Dick.

That is why I kept standard springs and instead went for adjustable dampers and sway bar. We have a suspension guru in our club and I asked him about the wheel lifting, and he said it was nothing to worry about. I have been in overly stiff cars and they are hopeless on the road. Of course, if it were a track car then it would have coil overs- but decent ones cost a fortune and I just don't need them. Same with the brakes. The standard 4 piston brakes are fine for me- only once have i experienced fade. I could put a set of 8 piston calipers and 330mm discs on but why would I? What I'd really love is a quick ratio steering rack, but they are very hard to find for my model. Apart from that, the car is close to perfect and it should be even closer with the new turbo.

I've got the 2.7 rack in the Liberty.....so much nicer to steer than the WRX, I've only got a Whiteline 22 rear & std STI front with Bilsteins & King lows + strut & under brace & ALK, good enough for the street and same with the 4 pots, I wouldn't bother with anything bigger either, haven't had fade yet, I've also got Darkside Racing discs which I've never seen before but work really well.

I've had a near new set of Tein Flex sitting at home for 3 yrs but they are out of my old Bug Eye so no use to me, gotta sell them one day lol.

Here is some video footage of the car in its final appearance in the old spec. I wore out the tyres in this event so the front end especially had noticeably less grip. You get that on worn tyres. I have decided to use dedicated motorkhana tyres which will be cheap and cheerful and will have bugger all grip.

Back