• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

National Parks: What's your favorite?

Thanks for sharing.. Those are some greeaaat shots! Careful with those references to Robert Earl Keen, i just might mistake you for an Aggie :cool:

Your welcome!

I knew a girl who was a HUUUUGE Robert Earl Keen fan.. So, I "had" to listen to a lot of his music for a while.. Some of it is still nice to listen to. :lol:

Isle Royale Nat'l park in da' UP (the upper peninsula of Michigan) Only two ways to get there, 1 is by boat and the other is by seaplane. Bicycles are allowed in certain parts, everything else is hiking only. Only facilities are a hotel / cabins at the seaport. At one point it was the most studied wolf / moose interaction population in the world.

Outside of that I really like the North Cascades Nat'l park in NW Washington state. I do however share the sentiment that state / national forests are more enjoyable though. I spent the weekend hiking / camping in the wenatchee national forest where I was able to fly fish, gather mushrooms / berries / other wild edibles without fear of being fined thousands of dollars :rolleyes:

I'm with Rally to an extent. I buy an annual parks pass but I'm not that happy with the way the parks are handled compared to state forests, at least in NSW. Having said that, Abercrombie and Kosciuszko would probably be my favourites despite not having explored either much.

Judging from photos I've seen on another forum I'd love to visit Kings Canyon park in California. The scenery is breath taking and looks ideal for camping wand walking.

Thats a great set of photo's you have there Darkanion :raz:
The pic of Delicate Arch is brilliant. The pic about halfway down day 9 really shows just how big, sorry I meant how huge it is :eek:
What else is there to say, other than nature & it surroundings is just truly amazing indeed :ebiggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks! When I do these road trips, people sometimes ask me why I don't go see people. For some reason, I have a much more relaxing time looking at nature and photographing it than I do going to visit people. So, I usually go see nature, instead! :rotfl:

When I do these road trips, people sometimes ask me why I don't go see people. For some reason, I have a much more relaxing time looking at nature and photographing it
I hear what you're saying & know what you mean....nothings better than being outdoors & enjoying mother nature & all the beauty it has to offer :cool: :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Here's a video made by the same guy who did the Yellowstone vid at the beginning of this thread. The wildlife, as you can see have benefited greatly from the record snowfall this past year up there. I have never seen such FAT ELK in the park!
Looks like it was shot all around the park & on the trail ridge road. Great quality vid with great shots, once again.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfXSxv0FegA&feature=feedu"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfXSxv0FegA&feature=feedu[/ame]

Mine is the Alpine National Park in eastern Victoria. Victoria's largest non-arid park which would not have existed but for the 'Greenies' - much to the chagrin of logging companies and local cattle farmers.
I think that, with increasing population and limited park capacity, it is inevitable that major parks will become more regulated, while state forests do offer the opportunity for less regimented use. I love being able to just drive / ride my pushbike until dusk, then pitch camp without a 'beg your pardon'.

The wildlife, as you can see have benefited greatly from the record snowfall this past year up there. I have never seen such FAT ELK in the park!
What a great vid :) And what a fantastic part of the world it is :)
Yes I see what you mean by the ELK, they look like they are in tip top condition, thats for sure :ebiggrin:
At around the 45 sec mark, the look on the kids face, when the squirrel walks up to him on the rock wall is fantastic :raz:
What a magic moment :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Filmed this little video of Victoria Glacier at Lake Louise Canada. We were treated to an amazing spectacle of an avalanche at close range. The boom that echoed through the valley was awesome but the camera couldn't quite pick up that noise. That's my Mrs sitting in the foreground.
This was the most memorable highlight of our Canada trip

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sesP4Z70ZL4"]P1010307 - YouTube[/ame]

as for a NP closer to home, Cape LeGrand near Esperance is fantastic. Best beaches in the world around there

Last edited:
That's amazing footage you got there Lefty! So awesome to catch that on camera. I bet it was like thunder billowing through the canyon walls!

Talk about being in the right place at the right time :cool:
Awesome vid mate absolutely awesome :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

we had actually been sitting there for over an hour watching little avalanches and were juuuust about hike back when it happened.

wow, great capture. Good thing you weren't a little quicker about leaving ...

Reminds me of once when my timing was just a little off... I was in Zion National Park USA at the end of the road, the parking area for hiking up river to the Narrows. For those who don't know the place, you're driving along a river at the bottom of a fairly deep canyon, steep cliffs on both sides. It had started to rain as I was headed back for the car, and started to pour just a few minutes before I got to the parking area. I quick got in the car, peeled off my wet jacket and checked to make sure the camera wasn't too wet, and then glanced over towards the river. There had been a small trickle of water coming down the cliff in one spot -- suddenly it was like a water cannon with muddy water rushing over the edge and falling to the river below. I have pictures somewhere, taken through the car window and falling rain, but I would have loved to have captured that on video.

Thought this was a cool vid that one of the central overland guys put together of a resent trip into Big Bend NP & SP.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObvjUcrBUIE&context=C3f50012ADOEgsToPDskJ4jshG63XlVJtOqr-JBRls"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObvjUcrBUIE&context=C3f50012ADOEgsToPDskJ4jshG63XlVJtOqr-JBRls[/ame]

Back