What happened to...?

ggvfr

Forum Member
What eventuated from one of the NSW members with an Outback lending his car to Subaxtreme to get a rear bar made up?

I gave up on my contact with Subaxtreme but know someone was going ahead as the 'mule'.. Can't remember who though :mad:

If you know, or are on here, it'd be interesting to see some shots and get your feedback. And find out what the $$$$ damage was, because it was looking pretty exxy from memory.

Mind you, this was all just before the "great crash of '08" of Tony's original site and the member may not be here yet...

Cheers
Garry

that was going to be me but he never got back to anyone and it sounded like he wasn't interested. then i found out he owns an outback so i didn't follow up as i cant really afford one just yet. i know Kevin got one made for the forester and it looked pretty schmik, but i don't know the end cost.

That was Caddyman.
From what I can gather, he now has a rear bar on his Outback.
I'll more than likely be seeing him tonight (Fri). If so, I'll try & find out some details in regards to pricing etc.

Regards
Mr Turbo

That was Caddyman.
From what I can gather, he now has a rear bar on his Outback.
I'll more than likely be seeing him tonight (Fri). If so, I'll try & find out some details in regards to pricing etc.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Cheers Mr Turbo, I wasn't sure if it was Caddyman, or Eden... Be interested in his thoughts on dealing with SubaXtreme and some photos.. Try prompting him into signing back on..

Thanks

I should be able to source a pic tonight with a little bit of luck. If I do I will post it up for all to see.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Just found the new site (thanx for the little reminder Mr Turbo).

Yes the rear bar is on, here is a pic of it in action at a NSW Subi club training day.
Hey_Grant_that_new_bar_looks_good.jpg

I will give full details in a posting later, during the week. I have all the details and my pictures on my work computer.
But for ggvfr the final price was $3K (fitted) and the wheel carrier is removeable.
Very happy with the product and i Love the look of the car now.....
Grant_Alison.jpg

I will give full details in a posting later, during the week. I have all the details and my pictures on my work computer.
But for ggvfr the final price was $3K (fitted) and the wheel carrier is removeable.

Ah its Caddyman who owns the ob with the bar haha!
Very nice wheel carrier, I saw it in the zig zag trip report and was wanting to know who owned the ob. Then found this thread.
Any chance of all the juicy details on it, I'm thinking of one for my gen1 lib, I know its not the same, but I'd think similar.

Cheers,

I recently (6 weeks ago) got a price from SubaXtreme on a rear bar with wheel and jerry carriers and fell off my chair when they told me...

SubaXtreme said:
"...What with the cost of steel and the fact that they are difficulty to mass produce... We discussed the cost of manufacturing them and we made one and charged $3k but that was still not enough... What you're after will cost in the order of $4k to $4.5k..."

I'm in the throws of designing one myself and my initial costing for materials and engineers certification comes to $1700. Sure, I am not charging for labour, but if I presume that they are charged the same for materials and certs. that leaves $2.8k for labour :arrow: approx. 47 labour hours :arrow: approx. 6 working days.

Now, lets say a day for cutting and bending of materials, another for welding up the bar/chassis frame. another for the cladding and lastly, a day for other bits and pieces and powder coating. Thats 4 days to build it. So 2 days are fat :arrow: 16 working hours :arrow: approx. $1k.

So, in theory the bar should cost about $3k to $3.5k.

That's my logic anyway.

Last edited:
Carlo,

I am not defending Subaxtreme, or anyone else, but having made one for my L-Series, it did take a lot longer than first antisipated. We did do an actual dollar by dollar costing, but estimated that we used about $600 odd dollars for steel, and about $200 for some machining and folding. If we charged oursselves labour, we guessed about $500 - $700 each (two of us). That would average around $2000 cost including both wheel and jerry can holders.

Note we did not have this engineered, it is a backyard build, not a professional after market item, but I am mopre than happy with what I have.

We did consider doing something ourselves along the line of limited manufacture, but the costs of engineering, and insurance are the killers.

Beigewagon.

Attachments

• Beige Bar Complete Rear Closed.jpg
    Beige Bar Complete Rear Closed.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Beige Bar Complete Rear Open.jpg
    Beige Bar Complete Rear Open.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Beige Bar Complete Side Closed.jpg
    Beige Bar Complete Side Closed.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 40
True. It would take alot longer for a home job. But I think that a propper workshop all fitted out would be able to kit one up in about 4 days.

All I was trying to address, is that I think that there is some elment of risk and contingency built into their price.

That looks very well done Beigewagon, simple as well.
May just ask a boiler/maker welder mate, what he can do up :)
It all looks pretty straight forward except for the foundations, how can could you make the rear bar strong enough to be able with stand the weight?
L rear bars look easy enough to remanufacture in steel an make stronger but wanna bout the plastic bars for the lib, forrie, ob etc...

+1 to a DIY on your wheel holder my Beige!
Once again, looks great n simple.

^Edit - +1 to writing up a DIY on here for your wheel holder ;)!

Got a reply from Subaextreme today, only had to wait a full day!
I've been quoted 3k for postage (to Tas) + fitting, and included is the wheel carrier, tow ball and jerry can, although I don't really want the jerry can, so I wrote back asking if they could drop the price.
Also they said the bar is meant for the ob, but should be able to fit my lib, can anyone confirm this, seems a bit dodgy to me...

Bumpty,

I had a thread on the old webiste that had a series of pics of the build of the rear bar.

When I get time I will endeavor to start a simliar thread again.

Beigewagon.

ahh ive only read bits of this but I was stunned at the $3k price tag for the sxt rear bar.

the old sxt had all the patterns (or what ever there called) for these sorted and they sold the bar for around the $1500 mark from memory....

Last edited:
ahh ive only read bits of this but I was stunned at the $3k price tag for the sxt rear bar.

You're not wrong mate & I'm sure that you're not the only one that was stunned by the price.

the old sxt had all the petterns (or what ever there called) for these sorted and they sold the bar for around the $1500 mark from memory....

You have a good memory, when I bought mine, just on 3 years ago, I paid $1525 + delivery.

P.S Welcome to ORS chickenlover.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks Mr T!

I would think the templates would have been part of the intellectual property of the SXT sale - so i guess they simply dont want to make the rear bars. The old 'put a ridiculous price on something to scare the punters off, and if someone pays it you dont mind doing the work'

Seems a strange way to go about a somewhat boutique business

Back