Forester turbo question

It really does depend on conditions and how hard you push the car, I have the Turbo and have never looked back, fantastic car. My excuse for getting the XT was - we would need more grunt while packed to the roof line with camping gear and the trailer on the back, having driven a NA and seen it's fuel consumption, in my experience the minor advantage in fuel consumption is not worth losing the turbo grunt. Off road, with the auto it is not to be scoffed at. My pick would be the be the turbo, auto gives you virtually an endless gear range, and is a reliable unit, it has amazed me how well the XT has covered a "Jack of all trades" capability, very drivable on and off road while having some grin factor.

Doug

Powerful cars can be very good on long runs. Our other car is a HSV Senator 6L V8, even with all it's engine work and weighing nearly 1900kg. it will reutrn 8.X per 100kms on a freeway run if driven in a responsible manner. around toiwn though it's a drinker, but as they say if you wanna play you gotta pay.

Gidday JL

Warmest congrats on the new baby, mate ... :) :ebiggrin: :cool:

I had to Google "PZEV". I think that the Australian Design Rules ["ADRs"] mandate such things, but I could be wrong ... No Subaru here is advertised as such, but that could well be because it's mandatory.

Seeing as how it's so long since you have had a new set of wheels, remember that the first couple of thousand kms are the most important for reliability, fuel economy and engine flexibility.

I doubt that you will find the 2.5L N/A underpowered ... And I can assure you that point-to-point even my dear old '93 Impreza would give almost anything on the road a run for its money when the road was anything but straight and a top-grade surface.

May all who sail in her be blessed ... :biggrin:

I have done some very superficial research, and I appear to be correct, the PZEV requirements in the USA are covered under ADRs 36/xx and 37/xx.

There is a PDF file (etc) available here that covers the ADRs overall, and the exhaust and evaporative emissions of vehicles are noted in particular.

I have never quite understood why it is so hard to find a single document, or series of documents, that cover the entirety of the ADRs, but that is how it appears to be ...

If someone would be so kind as to point me at it if they know where such a repository exists?

congrads on the new car, if i had seen how well the new FB25 engines fitted to the my12+ foz responded to aftermarket tunes in terms of power and torque increases. i might have opted for one with dual range over the diesel.

On paper they might not have much more power and torque then the old EJ25 but get a flash tune done and they are worlds apart!

Back