• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Swags

PigSti

Swags: Top Ten!

100910SwagComparo_397.jpg
100910SwagComparo_404.jpg

https://www.4wdaction.com.au/articles/2012/swags-glory

If you are in the market for a swag, not happy with your current canvas roll, or even just want to know why someone would possibly want to sleep in the living mans equivalent of a coffin, read on.

SOUTHERN CROSS CANVAS DOME SWAG
Cost: $685
Size: 213x82x70cm
Canvas: 10oz
Dynaproofed Base: PVC
Mattress: 50mm high density
Manufactured: Australia
Is it really even a swag? Sure it is made from canvas, rolls up with the mattress inside and says swag on the packaging – but you can almost sit up straight in it, there is enough room for some luggage and it looks only a little bit like the others on this test. However, there was a lot to like about this swag. Even before we unrolled it, the quality was obvious – the Wax Converters canvas is top notch, and all of the straps and handle to carry it are the best quality. The swag came with alloy hoop poles and a galvanised spreader making it freestanding.
We liked that both sides of the swag could be rolled up to expose the night sky or let a breeze through – there is no chance of feeling claustrophobic in this model. The mattress was firm, which shielded us from all but the most gnarly of rocks or roots on the ground. On the downside, this is not a cheap swag. Expect to be paying top dollar for the privilege.

BURKE & WILLS COOLABAH
Cost: $659
Size: 110x215x80cm
Canvas: 15oz ripstop
Base: Canvas (tested) or PVC
Mattress: 75mm convoluted
By far the largest swag on our test the Coolabah by Burke & Wills was winning votes just from looking at its rap sheet. Available in colours such as purple, brown and even (believe it or not) green, other features such as the triple hoop design, PVC or canvas base options and an egg shell mattress make it a very good design.
We loved the space inside – more than enough to stretch out in and the fact that there was no canvas on us ever. Other great features included the PVC covers to put your shoes under and the interior pockets for keys and the like. Build wise, it was hard to fault the Australian made dome. Everything was high quality and you can tell you are getting what you paid for. Its one main downside – the mattress was maybe a little too soft, especially noticeable on rougher ground, which left us fairly intimate with a number of rocks that went unnoticed on setup.

ROMAN BREAKAWAY
Cost: $450
Size: 214 x 90cm
Canvas: 14oz Bradmill
Base: Heavy Duty PVC
Mattress: 50mm high-density foam
Manufactured: Overseas
The Breakaway by Roman has very recently been updated – so recently in fact that the one pictured was the only one in Australia for our test. The Breakaway has for a while been Roman's flagship swag. Made from Bradmill Canvas and complete with inbuilt pole carrier, triple hoop design, this new model did a much better job of keeping the canvas from sagging onto our bodies overnight.
What we liked about the Breakaway was how simple it was to set up, how well made it was and that it was up there with the more comfortable of the swags. The canvas extension at the head end also worked very well as a shelter for shoes and even something as simple as the handle when packed up made a difference to our opinion. The few gripes were how tight the pole hooks where especially when undoing them with cold fingers. We also found the zipper on the fl y a little tight around the top of the arch when hopping into bed.

DARCHE SUPERDOME
Cost: $349
Size: 213x88cm
Canvas: 14ox ripstop
Base: 500gsm PVC
According to Darche, it was them that pioneered the dome swag over 20 years ago. Two decades on and they are still doing a good job of it. The Superdome is a very basic but functional swag. Only utilising two hoops, its clever design meant the canvas was kept well and truly off us. The mattress was at the firmer end of the scale which our testing determined was much better in the long run as it compensated better for sleeping on irregular ground.
Overall, everything on the swag was easy to do – zips, hooks, packing it up and fitting the main hoop. We did find the centre pole a little tight fit at first, however, this did get slightly easier with use and practice. A handle to carry it with when packed up and some heavier duty buckles so you can roll it really tight would make it even better.

Last edited:
JOLLY SWAG STURT
Cost: $366
Size: 216x84cm
Canvas: 14oz ripstop
Base: 15oz Tearcheck
Mattress: 60mm dual density
Manufactured: Canvas – Overseas, Swag – Australia
There are a lot of great features on the Sturt and some very unique ones too. We loved the large fl y screen window on the right-hand side. Jolly swag have fixed the fly in place on the outside so that to open it to the night breeze or close it against rain, you don't have to get out and get bitten by bugs or wet.
Other likeable features we noted were the canvas door mat, which you can hide your shoes under in case of rain or the weather shield at the head so you can keep the arch window open no matter what. We found the mattress fairly comfortable and like many of the other swags, liked that it had a removable, washable cover. Setup was very straightforward and the single pole and triangle arrangement at the foot end is a very simple and effective idea. We did find though that the velcro tabs at the head end got a little fiddly and are possibly at risk of fraying over time.

MOONDYNE NIMBUS
Cost: $449
Size: 214x90x65cm
Canvas: 14oz Dynepro
Base: 14oz Dynepro canvas
Mattress: 70mm high-density foam
Moondyne Joe, presumably the gentleman this swag is named after was a Western Australian Bushranger notorious for escaping gaol. In fact, he escaped so many times, the gaol warden at the time offered him a full pardon if he managed to get out one more time – which he did. Unlike the bushranger however, this swag will not steal your horse, but like the bushranger it will help you escape often (there's the link).
The Nimbus had one of our favourite (a bottle opener standard) and least favourite (the zip in pole system) features. However, it was an impressive swag. The canvas cover can be opened all the way to the feet, just to the end of your torso or just over your face. We loved the foot end opening for airflow and the alloy poles were excellent quality and very strong. Rather than hooking the poles in, they are zipped into each end. This took us quite a few goes to get the hang of, and we often found them somewhat difficult to get back out.

AOS TRACKER
Cost: $669
Size: 214x85x65cm
Canvas: 14oz Dynepro
Base: 14oz Dynepro canvas
Mattress: 70mm high-density foam
The similarities of this model to the Moondyne Nimbus are fairly noticeable, however that is not necessarily a bad thing. What sets the two apart is the location of manufacture. The AOS swag is made in Australia, while the Moondyne range are made overseas. This is also reflected in the prices.
Versatility is probably one of this swag's greatest features, and we reckon if you camp a lot in warmer weather the full removal of the top cover, openings at both the head and foot ends would make a huge difference to sleep on a hot night. We liked the sand fl y proof, full-length mesh, thought the mattress was pretty good on all but the bumpiest of grounds and again, were pretty pleased to have a bottle opener on hand.
This swag also sports the zip in pole system – designed to protect the poles (from what?) – which took some getting used to. After a couple of goes and some confidence in the strength of the poles, we found that just pulling the canvas from the tag, over the pole made it a lot easier.

JOLLY SWAG SHIRALEE
Cost: $425
Size: 216x92cm
Canvas: 15oz cotton Tearcheck
Base: 170z polycotton Tearcheck
Mattress: 70mm duodensity Manufactured:
Canvas – Overseas, Swag – Australia
If you aren't a huge fan of the 'swag green', then this might be the option for you. The Shiralee does everything you want a swag to do. Access is easy through the top and the zippers were all easy to use, not snagging at any time. The mattress measuring approximately 70mm thick is dual density, which made a noticeable difference. The firmer base hides more of the rough ground while the softer top was really comfortable.
The opening at the head end is covered by a weather flap and with the canvas on the inside of the fly covering, it is easy to make the most of. Like the other Jolly Swags, we feel the velcro tabs for the poles would be better replaced with hooks, but at least they are less likely to be broken. The addition of a guy rope tab for the foot end would also be great.

RUGGED XTREMES HANNIBAL
Cost: $249
Size: 200x90x54cm
Canvas: 12oz ripstop
Base: PVC
Priced at just under 250 bucks, this is definitely the swag for the more budget-conscious traveller. At less than half the price of some other swags featured here, you are going to have to expect to miss out on a few of the creature comforts. Only the head end of this swag is raised, and although there is a small pole for the feet, it is close to useless. Entry is only from the top, although there is a small flap at the head end to let a bit of light or breeze in.
This swag uses a similar zip in pole system to two others although with much skinnier poles we weren't as confident in its function. We were always scared of bending or breaking the pole as we pulled the canvas over it. In its own right, it does exactly what a swag should, but up against the competition it did fall short.

TRUE BLUE BLUEY DOME
Cost: $277
Size: 213x84cm
Canvas: 14oz ripstop
Base: 14oz ripstop canvas
Mattress: 50mm dual density
Manufactured: Canvas – Overseas, Swag – Australia
The Bluey was another of the more basic swags. One entry (through the top) no really fancy openings or flaps and a simple hoop at the head with apex style pole at the feet. Unlike a lot of swags featured here, the canvas is 100% cotton (like the old days) and has a much softer feel to it than the poly-cotton blends. The mattress was comfortable enough and the cover removable and washable.
Its design did a good job of keeping the canvas off our bodies and there was enough room at the head end not to feel too cramped. The fl y screen window on the head end, although bordered by a weather flap, has no means of being covered which would become noticeable in cold or windy conditions, plus even in warmer weather the weather flap would block most of the morning sun or cool breeze from getting in.

--------------------------------------------

Preferred choices and why:

THIRD PLACE – ROMAN BREAKAWAY
The Breakaway really impressed us because Roman had taken on a lot of feedback and made improvements to an already winning swag. The new centre pole made the swag so much more comfortable to sleep in. Features like the built in pole bag and head end extension won points, though it lost some for the tight zipper and pole hooks. All in all – a great swag.

SECOND PLACE – BURKE & WILLS COOLABAH
Even if the swag is named after a pair of explorers who couldn't survive in the Outback, at least you can be confident of a decent final rest (what a link) in the Coolabah. We liked this swag for its room inside, very useable and well thought out features – the large top cover that would make it easy to climb in during rain, the door mats for your shoes and high-quality alloy poles.
It lost most of its points for its packing size – it wouldn't fit across the width of our roof racks. A great swag though and more than deserving of its second place position

FIRST PLACE – SOUTHERN CROSS CANVAS DOME SWAG
In a workplace like the one we work in, 4WD and camping gear comes and goes – a lot without much comment. However, the Southern Cross had to be kept under constant watch, lest it go missing before we could take it away on the test. If that is any indication of the impression it had on a bunch of seasoned campers, it must be doing something right. We chose it as the winner for a few reasons.
The quality of workmanship was easily the best. This was obvious packed up, or when we were setting it up, sleeping in it or packing it away again – even the pegs supplied where the best quality. It had some of the best features including the roll up sides that could double as a small awning, had the most internal space, yet didn't take up a lot of room on the roof rack. Coupled with a comfortable mattress, it was a swag hard to fault.

Pictures below: SOUTHERN CROSS CANVAS DOME SWAG

100910SwagComparo_417.jpg
100910SwagComparo_034.jpg

------------------------------

CONTACT DETAILS
Southern Cross
03 9729 5056
www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au
sales@southerncrosscanvas.com.au

Burke & Wills
www.outfitters.com.au
61 3 9794 9799
Roman (02) 9669 4288
www.roman.com.au rwe@roman.com.au

Jolly Swag
(08) 8251 7533
www.jollyswags.swag.com.au

AOS
61 08 9274 1997
www.aosswags.com
sales@aosswags.com

Moondyne
08 9274 1997
www.moondyne.com.au
info@moondyne.com.au

Rugged Xtremes
08 9274 1997
www.ruggedxtremes.com.au
sales@ruggedxtremes.com.au

True Blue
08 8251 7533
www.trueblueswags.swag.com.au

Darche
61 3 9380 3600
www.darche.com.au
darche@charlesparsons.com.au

Last edited:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYYBQvhVcQ"]2013 Southern Cross Canvas Double Dome Swag Rob Fraser Reviews - YouTube[/ame]

Sooo... Swag is an aussie name for that specific shape of one-man tent? Or is there something specific (besides shape) that make something a "swag" instead of a tent?

A swag is basically a canvas tent that can roll up with all of your bedding inside. They're not necessarily one man, you can buy double ones as well.

Australian slang for a canvas bed roll, traditionally it was like a sleeve of canvas you slept in with a blanket or bedding that could be rolled up and put behind the saddle on a horse. Like everything else became more elaborate over time to become the dome swag. Great to sleep in if your on your own, My girlfriend doesn't like them though so we stayed away from double swags.

I've used the oztrail mitchell a few times nowhere near as expensive as those in 4wd action (picked it up for $200)
https://www.oztrail.com.au/WebPage.gtl?Product=CSW-MIT-D?currentgroup=ZZZ002?currentsubgroup=SWAG

But like a lot of things 4wd action, oz trail isn't paying for advertising in the mag.

Sooo... Swag is an aussie name for that specific shape of one-man tent? Or is there something specific (besides shape) that make something a "swag" instead of a tent?

A swag is basically a canvas tent that can roll up with all of your bedding inside. They're not necessarily one man, you can buy double ones as well.

Our unofficial national anthem!

Waltzing Matilda

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled:
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me?"

Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda
You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled:
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me."

Down came a jumbuck to drink at that billabong.
Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee.
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag:

"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me",
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag:

Up rode the squatter, mounted on his thoroughbred.
Down came the troopers, one, two, and three.
"Whose is that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?
You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me."

"Whose is that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?
You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me."

Up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong.
"You'll never take me alive!" said he
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong:

And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong:

prefer instant popup tent and self inflating mattress over a swag.
Takes probably 1 minute longer to setup than a swag but has more advantages like being able to store some gear, tall enough to sit up in and folds up more compact than a swag

something like this:
223781.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sML4krJ8kM"]Teach you how to fold a 2 seconds tent - YouTube[/ame]

as with anything you get what you pay for. There are cheapies for less than $50 but I would bring a tarp along as they are only single walled. The better ones are double walled.

Can't be that bad, I've slept in a woolen blanket and a tarp a couple of times and stayed dry in the rain, any tent is a step up from that. But then again there's some fun in squashing that thing crawling on you at night with your hand and putting it to the side to see what it was in the morning.

As i learn when i was a little younger, carry a tarp big enough to cover your tent some extra rope and a couple of tent poles. Costs stuff all and beats being cold and wet with no place dry to go.

My problem with those tents isn't staying dry so much as working out how the hell to put it back in the bag!

My problem with those tents isn't staying dry so much as working out how the hell to put it back in the bag!

This is one of the greatest mysteries in life for me - they always seem to shrink as soon as you take the tent out! :lol:

I have grown to love my swag and pretty much keep it in my car nowadays, seems like I use it most weeks. Starting to think I need to upgrade mine, the mattress is getting pretty think now and I have outgrown it in length. The Roo Systems ones look alright...

prefer a tent myself, unless in the central desert in which case an old school swag is fine.

Still don't mid a swaggie's breakfast though.....

(For the uninformed, a swaggie's breakfast is a piss and a look 'round)

As i learn when i was a little younger, carry a tarp big enough to cover your tent some extra rope and a couple of tent poles. Costs stuff all and beats being cold and wet with no place dry to go.

Lol, you should try a quality tent. My MacPac tent (Eclipse, their "lightweight" 3 season tent) is old now, over 20yrs, & the fly zip doesnt work too well, but its totally waterproof! I've been in torrential downpours (TNQ, etc) with not a drop getting inside. Its been pitched on a grassy slope when it rained so hard for so long the slope turned into a lake ~2-3" deep (Milford Sound, NZ). Not a drop got inside!

Being waterproof depends on 2 things - the fly & the tub. MacPacs excel at both, the reason why they are so popular for extreme expeditions, bushwalkers & mountaineers. Anyone who demands a quality tent they can rely on under all conditions. Only prob is they are up to $1000 now :(

I do have a quality tent. haven't had to tarp it yet, but a tarp and poles is great for extra shade and somewhere to cook. plus if i need to ever tarp it, it's there to do so.

But i've also slept on the back of a fire truck with a fire blanket too. i've been told i have the ability to sleep almost anywhere. no to bad as long as you leave your boots on, altho everytime ive had to for some reason there's been a lightning storm that night...

I'll be buying a double swags next Thursday, do I need to do anything to make it waterproof?

Some do, some don't. Just check the care instructions before you buy it

Back